Jerk Chicken

Born In The Echoes (Release Date)

Started by whirlygirl, Jun 09, 2015, 14:34

Previous topic - Next topic
I'll probably write some more of my thoughts about the album after I've listened to it a couple of times, but this I have to ask right away:

What the fuck happened to the endig of Reflexion?

Chemical Mystery.
Last Edit: Jul 17, 2015, 23:13 by Stefan

Okay. I've avoid discussion up to this point. Here's the story of my journey through BITE so far.

Remembered that it's BITE day when I went to do Tuition payment for school (in other news...for later). Ran to the Mall where a HMV still exists (suprisingly). Deluxe edition, ney. Vinyl edition, not till end of month (Cause Canada). Regular edition, YAH! Get in car, pop in CD, listen, drive (too fast cause of 'Sometimes I Feel So Deserted'). Get home, plug into CD player, listen from where I left off at EML Ritual in car. Start folding laundry cause it's a big pile on bed from the morning. Finish, sit down at Radiate, start reading liner notes, Get really confused by 'I'll See You There' cause of word jumble. Finish Cd, hit replay, start google-ing. Find confusing national archives site with potential source of cover image, give up upon finding it's really confusing (project for someone?). Search Rowlands Audio Research, Find that Tom's middle name is Owen. Come here, start reading this thread. Start looking up Bill Bissett cause of sample listing in 'I'll See You There', find video below, realize that T&E continue to use weird Canadian psychedellic '60s works (Bill Bissett, Mort Garson). That's my journey to this point.

Confusing National Archives site
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/registered-designs-1839-1991/

Bill Bissett video
Last Edit: Jul 17, 2015, 23:38 by rynostar
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

More than half of these tracks are still growing on me, and sound much better the second time. Bite and Radiate are being more appreciated by the second. :music
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Stefan on Jul 17, 2015, 23:08

I'll probably write some more of my thoughts about the album after I've listened to it a couple of times, but this I have to ask right away:

What the fuck happened to the endig of Reflexion?

Chemical Mystery.

Lmao sounds like Ed came in the studio while Tom was jamming out and just pulled the plug and the music stops. Actually this happens quite a lot on the album. Abrupt endings. Like Tom was tired of making the track and just went fuck it  i'll end it right here because the chemical brothers, that's why.

Why the hate on Taste of Honey? its a dark cute little track, the shortest on the album clocking in at 3 minutes. Sounds like soundtrack to a stripper documentary, like the end credits scene where the stripper realizes she's sick and tired of doing it for the money and just wants to move on with life but the drugs have fucked up her life forever now and she can't get out of this business....... too far out?

Dude I really like Taste of Honey. I mean the bee/vuvuzela impression and the bizarre guitar break throw me way off but the track is smooth as hell otherwise. The bit with Dosen's voice is a thing of beauty. I'm in the minority of people who really enjoyed This is Not a Game so I love hearing this trippy beeed out version of it
Never for money, always for love.

Right.  Like the leftover from Taste of Honey was probably used for This is not a game which was probably made cuz they don't have no moneyyy... Wish the track was longer like 30 minutes long.
The album is a natural progression of sound from the "experimental" Hanna and Further though. I'm just throwing random thoughts I'm having while listening to the album now.

Quote from: chemreact on Jul 18, 2015, 01:58

Right.  Like the leftover from Taste of Honey was probably used for This is not a game which was probably made cuz they don't have no moneyyy... Wish the track was longer like 30 minutes long.
The album is a natural progression of sound from the "experimental" Hanna and Further though. I'm just throwing random thoughts I'm having while listening to the album now.

Dude, you high

I feel so tender toward Radiate. I just love it.

I had an excruciating day at work and I had this album cranked on repeat. It's what got me through to 5 o'clock. Radiate would come on, and.... It's just one of those songs that stops space and time for me.  It's such a beautiful moment.

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's comments about these songs. It's like we're watching each other wrap our heads around these different songs. And there doesn't seem to be a collective favorite. This album taps into the diversity of opinions and feelings. Love it!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 18, 2015, 01:50

Dude I really like Taste of Honey. I mean the bee/vuvuzela impression and the bizarre guitar break throw me way off but the track is smooth as hell otherwise. The bit with Dosen's voice is a thing of beauty. I'm in the minority of people who really enjoyed This is Not a Game so I love hearing this trippy beeed out version of it

I too enjoyed This is Not a Game, the beat shreds. And I don't think I'll ever skip Taste of Honey whenever it comes on.  It's a sweet soundscape.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 18, 2015, 02:19

Everytime I hear this piece of art, I feel like I'm running through an amazing landscape of emotions and spiritual feelings, that stimulates my brain, increasing the mood of my day in matters of seconds, inducing the world around me to a new and vivid expression of love. It's just timeless.

Quote from: chemreact on Jul 18, 2015, 01:43

Why the hate on Taste of Honey?
Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 18, 2015, 01:50

Dude I really like Taste of Honey.
Quote from: Apostle on Jul 18, 2015, 03:40

And I don't think I'll ever skip Taste of Honey...

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Repeat folder. Over & over. :music
You are all my children now!

Quote from: androidgeoff on Jul 17, 2015, 23:03

I cannot stop listening to Just Bang. Very happy that the Chem Bros made a track like this.
Like it's something they wanted to make before Exit Planet Dust.  I got up to grab something whilst this was playing and started involuntarily dancing. Sat down again...not so exciting. It won't win any songwriting awards but It's a proper DANCE tune. From '93.

Quote from: rynostar on Jul 17, 2015, 23:16

Find that Tom's middle name is Owen.
Don't forget Mostyn!

Quote from: rynostar on Jul 17, 2015, 23:16

Start looking up Bill Bissett cause of sample listing in 'I'll See You There',
See the "I'll See You There" thread for more details on the exact sample.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jul 18, 2015, 01:38

More than half of these tracks are still growing on me, and sound much better the second time. Bite and Radiate are being more appreciated by the second. :music
I'm finding it quite difficult to rate my favourites at the moment. With the exception of....

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 18, 2015, 02:19

This. Definitely one for the Indie/Shoegaze crowd. And anyone who likes the first I Break Horses album. Such emotion!

Why the hate on Taste of Honey? its a dark cute little track, the shortest on the album clocking in at 3 minutes. Sounds like soundtrack to a stripper documentary, like the end credits scene where the stripper realizes she's sick and tired of doing it for the money and just wants to move on with life but the drugs have fucked up her life forever now and she can't get out of this business....... too far out?
This is the most hilarious/sad thing I have read on this forum. The track is so quirky and original (um, apart from borrowing from TINAG). It's like trying to nail down jelly,

So does anyone besides me and androidgeff get irritated by the rolling click in the left channel of Reflexion?  I think it's more noticable on headphones than on speakers.

Oh also, I already mentioned this but I'm gonna repeat mysef til someone agrees: Who Ha and Build A City both sound like soundtrack tunes. Listen to how they're recorded. I can imagine a car cuising down the Vegas strip at night whist Build A City plays, and I can imagine the cast of Now You See Me sneaking around underground tunnels as they set up their next trick/heist whilst Wo Ha is playing.  If we could get an honest answer from T&E on this I think I'd win this bet.
Last Edit: Jul 18, 2015, 12:42 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Oh one more thing: the album runs out of bangers after Reflexion. That doesnt mean it runs out of good stuff, but BITE is absolutely front loaded with the dancable tracks.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

My direct buki review has arrived. it is in my original post as well

Direct Buki - EBW 6 + LL Cool J. Really fun techno-y and acidic synths. The tight usage of hi hats keeps with the tech house feel that this album has at times. The 1.5 beat through an LFO or whatever synth that is in the back just keeps me goin'. This is even more sinister than EML! Direct Buki-p on repeating this song. This would be so cool live. Just Bang + This live would cause my eyes to implode and my ears to become the size of Dumbo's. I would then be able to finally experience the elevation that The Chemical Brothers wish to provide me. As I fly off into the night sky, I can speak directly to the Brothers, quoting the last line of Direct Buki.... Goodbye, thanks to all of you!
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

This album is growing on me with every listen and it's like 20th time already. Amazing.
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Why the hate on Taste of Honey?
I like the effort on Taste of Honey, but I think it disrupts the flow of the album. I wish this had been the Japan bonus track and was replaced with Direct Buki on the main release.
Quote from: chemreact on Jul 18, 2015, 01:58

The album is a natural progression of sound from the "experimental" Hanna and Further though.
Your Hanna /Further comment is spot on. This is a great era for experimental Chemical Brothers.
Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 18, 2015, 12:33

So does anyone besides me and androidgeff get irritated by the rolling click in the left channel of Reflexion?  I think it's more noticable on headphones than on speakers.
Well, I didn't until you guys kept mentioning it. Now I can't unhear it. Bastards. I love that track. And yeah, it's more prominent on my better set of cans.
Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 18, 2015, 12:38

Oh one more thing: the album runs out of bangers after Reflexion. That doesnt mean it runs out of good stuff, but BITE is absolutely front loaded with the dancable tracks.
Agreed. This was my feeling on an initial listen, and it hasn't changed.
Quote from: androidgeoff on Jul 18, 2015, 16:51

Just Bang + This live would cause my eyes to implode and my ears to become the size of Dumbo's.
(Direct Buki) Yerp. These two do it for me, too.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 18, 2015, 12:33

See the "I'll See You There" thread for more details on the exact sample.
Getting there. As I said, or implied, I've been in hibernation mode for all things chems for some time now.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly