You Are All My Children Now

Chems DJ Mixes

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Apr 27, 2016, 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Someone suggested releasing a new mix album in the "Ask Tom Rowlands" thread, and I agree that it would be a nice way of getting some Chemical edits out... But I don't think a properly released, official mix album will happen again because:
(a) they haven't released one for cash since 1998 – when they used to DJ more than now.
(b) there are so many mixes by DJs on soundcloud/mixcloud these days which are free, that it almost makes paid-for mix albums redundant (although Fabric are admittedly still doing them).
(c) recent history shows that the Chems do DJ mixes for free to promote a current album  - so the mixes end up on Apple Beats 1 or BBC 6 Music rather than being officially released.

Anyway, such ruminations got me wondering if there are any particularly good Chems DJ Mixes that I should own.
As you doubtless know, some but not all of their DJ mixes are listed on Discogs:
Live At The Social Volume 1, 1996.  GOT THIS
Radio 1 Anti-Nazi Mix / Interview, 1997.  DON'T HAVE (appears similar to the item below, so...I'll live)
Brothers Gonna Work It Out, 1998. GOT THIS
In Glint, 2002. DON'T HAVE
DJ Set, Paris 24/01/02 ‎(2xCDr, Comp, Mixed, Promo), 2002. DON'T HAVE
Confront Your Demons ‎(CDr, Promo, Mixed), 2003. DON'T HAVE
When You Start Hating You're Out Of Control ‎(File,  256), 2012. GOT THIS

Some more not listed on Discogs, that I've got digitally:
Tom's mix for Steve Lamacq's Evening Session, 1995 (aka Tom's Mix For Site)
London Xpress (Xfm) mix, 2001 (but missing the first ten minutes)  i.e  THIS 
Facebook Mix, 2007
Apple Beats One mix, 2015
6 Music Chemical Christmas, 2015

It looks like there a few old Radio 1 Essential Mixes on Mixcloud which I'm guessing are all worth a listen. I'm currently listening to an old 1995 mix which starts with Eva by Jean Jacques Perry.
So, just to clarify the question: which Chems DJ mixes do y'all reckon are mandatory to hear and/or own (excluding mobile phone footage on Youtube)? Have I omitted any biggies?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Tom's Late Night Psychotronik mix from sometime in the late '00s (I think around Brotherhood?). Very relaxed , very spacey. It's got a few great Deuter tracks in there.

https://www.mixcloud.com/eaguilarm/tom-rowlands-late-night-psychotronik-mix/
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: Skyscraper on Apr 27, 2016, 00:08

Radio 1 Anti-Nazi Mix / Interview, 1997.  DON'T HAVE (appears similar to the item below, so...I'll live)
In Glint, 2002. DON'T HAVE
I hope you have at least heard the Anti-Nazi mix and In Glint mixes even if you don't own them! Anti-Nazi is far and beyond better than Brothers Gonna Work It Out (despite similarities), and In Glint... ugh. In Glint. It's so good!!!

You're also missing the 1994 NME Christmas cassette mix (their first released, and under the Dust Bros name), Brit Hop and Amyl House (officially credited to Vanessa Rand, Tom's then girlfriend, now wife, who he insists is a good mixer), the "Unreleased BBC Mix" (with rough mixing and early versions of Get Up On It and Loops of Fury), and Tom's 30 minute Pete Tong Takeover mix (the one with the unfinished Massive Attack Teardrop remix). You could also throw in the Annie Mac Minimix, the 5 minute mashup of "all 10" Electronic Battle Weapons.

There have been a few older radio broadcasts of mixes, many are just In Glint or Confront Your Demons with compression and idents (OOOOOIIIII YOUUUUUU THIIIIS IS ESSEEEEEEENTIAAAAL), but the 2001 NYE mix is standout. It's a live go of In Glint with somewhat different mixing, and a bunch of extra classics thrown in before and after the standard tracklist. Here ya are: https://www.mixcloud.com/thezencooler/the-chemical-brothers-live-mtv2-new-years-eve-2001/

Also, the XFM show goes on for much longer than that 30 minutes. I don't know where my copy ended up, but I'll try tracking it down...

This isn't including audience recordings of their live sets. Coachella 2009 is well worth tracking down for Last Track and After Sunglasses, and there's another recording from 2003 (I think? Centro-Fly I want to say?) that has the original versions of It Began In Afrika and their Feel The Pressure acid remix (which was only ever heard again on the Facebook Mix). Both are full recordings and nice quality for what they are.

And I echo Rynostar's Psychtronik Mix recommendation. Brilliant spacey mix full of early electronic music. Errol came by and posted it by surprise in 2009, just before Further was announced, and Tom stopped by to answer some questions. It was the first 'thing' I was there for on the forum...
Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 03:52 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Apr 27, 2016, 03:48

There have been a few older radio broadcasts of mixes, many are just In Glint or Confront Your Demons with compression and idents (OOOOOIIIII YOUUUUUU THIIIIS IS ESSEEEEEEENTIAAAAL), but the 2001 NYE mix is standout. It's a live go of In Glint with somewhat different mixing, and a bunch of extra classics thrown in before and after the standard tracklist. Here ya are: https://www.mixcloud.com/thezencooler/the-chemical-brothers-live-mtv2-new-years-eve-2001/

Any time any one brings up 'tropical house' lately, I don't think of the fad from the past few years but rather the Roland Louis - Percussion's Rhythm track in this mix.

That duck synth after It Began In Afrika still sounds amazing (and ridiculous)
Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 04:16 by rynostar

I wish Tropical House sounded like that ^^ instead of the lazy 33 instead of 45 speed snoozefest that is Kygo.

If one were trying to procure some of these fine mix recommendations, particularly those live ones you mentioned... where might one look?

I have XMAS Dust Up, but only side A.
1995 Essential Mix
New Years Eve 2001
Dusted Decks, which is one of those broadcasts of In Glint with the annoying EEEEESSSSENTIAL bits.
Late Nite Psychtronik
When You Start Hating
One Mix
BBC6 Christmas

What's the Facebook mix?
And where could I stumble on Tom's Mix for Site, the XFM 2001 mix and Confront Your Demons?

Feeling empty and unworthy right now.

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Woah there Enjoyed, this is MY thread! I was gonna go check some of this stuff out and then politely ask for one or two things. You're jumping to the front of the queue. Outrageous!!  :o

You can get the NME Xmas Dust Up HERE  :P. Or perhaps do what I'm about to do and use YT ripper on these:

IT'S MORNING TIME!

PMed you guys!

I have lots of DJ sets, some of them are a bit mysterious as to where they came from.

For instance, besides the aforementioned I also have

- "Italian DJ set",
- "Rex Club" DJ set
- Live at One Big Weekend in Cardiff (the date says it's from 09/13/03)
- Radio 1 Takeover
- All Back to Mine
- Hot Mix (dates back to 2007)
- 1995 Radio 1 Evening Session Mix (different from Essential Mix)

Edit 2023
- DJ Set @ Asagiri JAM, Tokyo (2003): 1h:49m, contains early IBIA version
Last Edit: Dec 10, 2023, 17:26 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'm pretty sure the Radio 1 takeover is the Pete Tong one with the Teardrop remix. I remember listening to it live on while camping on the Isle of Wight before Bestival that year!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Apr 27, 2016, 17:05

What's the Facebook mix?
And where could I stumble on Tom's Mix for Site, the XFM 2001 mix and Confront Your Demons?

This one I know for sure. It was released in Fall of '07 after WATN was released. It had the Marc Houle - Bay of Figs track that we were going off about for a while.

It also had the Mort Garson Wozard of Iz tracks that were supremely psychadellic and had the infamous quote "That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind."

Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 19:20 by Enjoyed

Quote from: Csar on Apr 27, 2016, 18:02

- "Italian DJ set",
I think this is Confront Your Demons?

- "Rex Club" DJ set
Whoa, what?

- Live at One Big Weekend in Cardiff (the date says it's from 09/13/03)
Whoa, what?

- Radio 1 Takeover
That's the Pete Tong one I think, but with the 30 minute interview with Ed at the start?

- All Back to Mine
I've seen this around but never actually heard it! This is Tom and Ed talking about their musical influences and what they like to listen to - Tomorrow Never Knows is in there. Not an actual DJ set I don't think.

- Hot Mix (dates back to 2007)
Facebook mix.

- 1995 Radio 1 Evening Session Mix (different from Essential Mix)
"Tom's Mix for Site", I'm pretty sure. This starts with Oasis, right?

Yeah,Takeover is indeed the one with the chems' Tear Drop remix in it. Hot Mix turns out to be a ~30 min edit of the Facebook 2007 mix that was aired on Pete Tong's show, and the Rex Club is in fact the Paris DJ set listed on Discogs.

I also got an "unreleased BBC DJ set" I think I downloaded from some soundcloud not too long ago. It starts with the "Hey hey, Mr. DJ" sample and 23 Skidoo - Coup.
The only part I could find on YT:

The version I've got is 59:03 min long.

I also have a Breezblock set starting with Studio K and some talking with a female Scottish host.
Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 20:54 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Apr 27, 2016, 20:27

I think this is Confront Your Demons?
No, this is different. I have sets that are shorter edits of Demons though.

Whoa, what?
Whoa, what?
The Cardiff one I got from Benji. The other one's the Paris DJ set at the Rex Club from 2002.

That's the Pete Tong one I think, but with the 30 minute interview with Ed at the start?
Yup, that's the one!

I've seen this around but never actually heard it! This is Tom and Ed talking about their musical influences and what they like to listen to - Tomorrow Never Knows is in there. Not an actual DJ set I don't think.
It's not a real DJ mix in its true essence but it has music in it, playing tracks they we're incluenced by.

"Tom's Mix for Site", I'm pretty sure. This starts with Oasis, right?
I'm not sure where I got this from. I guess I retrieved it from either YT or Soundcloud. But yes, it starts off with a mellow breaky drum beat and Oasis.

P.S. I also found a German 2 part broadcast called Sputnik Intensivstation which seems to share strong similarities with In Glint but also has Song the Siren and full Base 6 in it. Part 1 is 54:17 min long and fading out with Funk D'voids Diabla, and part 2 is 1:02:00 min long fading in with a short rest of Diabla and ending with that funky tune (which turns out to be the Roland Louis one Rynostar posted above  :D) that comes in at around 30 min in the Glint mix.

PPS.: I just realized that the German Sputnik Radio set seems to be an edited/adapted version of the Paris (Rex Club) set. It starts off with the Base 6 intro which is transitioned into Return Of The Original Art Form and Higher mashup and ends with Diabla . The second part, like I said above, starts off with a fading Diabla and then gets mixed into Rock to the Beat and the Beatles' Across the Universe which is actually the beginning of the Paris set listed on Discogs. However, it's missing the tracks Star Guitar, Song for Shelter (Chems mix), Packet of Peace (Chems mix), Open Up chems' remix, the unknown one and New Order's Love Triangle. Weird.
Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 12:07 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: rynostar on Apr 27, 2016, 01:32

Tom's Late Night Psychotronik mix

Thanks. I can hear how this sort of stuff might influence things like Snow and the Hanna soundtrack. I can't help thinking that Sabres of Paradise's "Chapel St Market 9am" would fit in here nicely. Does anyone have a tracklist for this thing? In particular, do we know the track from 35.45 to 37.35? Please take a listen to it, and then take a listen to this Four Tet remix of The xx's VCR, (from about 6.18 onwards).

I had always assumed that Four Tet just came up with an extraordinary remix from scratch, but if this remix came out in 2010 and Tom's Psychotronik mix is from '09, then those sounds weren't originally from the VCR remix. Could it originally be a Four Tet track? (I'm not an expert on Four Tet, although I have seen him live a couple of times I think.)

I hope you have at least heard the Anti-Nazi mix and In Glint mixes even if you don't own them! Anti-Nazi is far and beyond better than Brothers Gonna Work It Out (despite similarities), and In Glint... ugh. In Glint. It's so good!!!
Well I've now got In Glint thanks to a helpful forumite. I don't have the Anti-Nazi mix but I've just found it on Youtube so I'll give it a go.

You're also missing...the "Unreleased BBC Mix" (with rough mixing and early versions of Get Up On It and Loops of Fury)...
This is the one that Csar posted with the Rasta lion youtube image? If so, I have it now.

and Tom's 30 minute Pete Tong Takeover mix (the one with the unfinished Massive Attack Teardrop remix). You could also throw in the Annie Mac Minimix, the 5 minute mashup of "all 10" Electronic Battle Weapons.
Oh where do I get these?

(OOOOOIIIII YOUUUUUU THIIIIS IS ESSEEEEEEENTIAAAAL),
Ha!

but the 2001 NYE mix is standout. It's a live go of In Glint with somewhat different mixing, and a bunch of extra classics thrown in before and after the standard tracklist. Here ya are: https://www.mixcloud.com/thezencooler/the-chemical-brothers-live-mtv2-new-years-eve-2001/
Thanks. I recognised this one as soon as the accordion appeared 23 seconds in. It reappears later on in the mix, which I think has been previously discussed on the forum.

Also, the XFM show goes on for much longer than that 30 minutes. I don't know where my copy ended up, but I'll try tracking it down...
Don't worry, Csar has sorted me out with this.

This isn't including audience recordings of their live sets. Coachella 2009 is well worth tracking down for Last Track and After Sunglasses, and there's another recording from 2003 (I think? Centro-Fly I want to say?) that has the original versions of It Began In Afrika and their Feel The Pressure acid remix (which was only ever heard again on the Facebook Mix). Both are full recordings and nice quality for what they are.
I'm not sure I know Last Track and After Sunglasses. Does the latter bear any relation to Sunglasses At Night? Where do I get or hear these?

Quote from: Enjoyed on Apr 27, 2016, 17:05

What's the Facebook mix?

Quote from: rynostar on Apr 27, 2016, 19:11

This one I know for sure. It was released in Fall of '07 after WATN was released. It had the Marc Houle - Bay of Figs track that we were going off about for a while.

It also had the Mort Garson Wozard of Iz tracks that were supremely psychadellic and had the infamous quote "That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind."

As far as I'm aware the tracklisting is almost identical to that of Digital Decks . It's certainly the tracklist I refer to when listening to the Facebook mix.

Quote from: Csar on Apr 27, 2016, 20:33

I also have a Breezblock set starting with Studio K and some talking with a female Scottish host.
Wel I'm aware of the Breezeblock below with Mary Anne Hobbs who is from the north of England. I guess her accent could be confused for Scottish, but it doesn't appear to start with Studio K. Is this the same thing?
https://www.mixcloud.com/thezencooler/the-chemical-brothers-breezeblock-mix-1999/

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: rynostar on Apr 27, 2016, 01:32

Tom's Late Night Psychotronik mix from sometime in the late '00s (I think around Brotherhood?). Very relaxed , very spacey. It's got a few great Deuter tracks in there.

There's an italian song in the mix!!
I CAN'T SEEM TO SHAKE THIS FEELING
I CAN'T SEEM TO PUT IT DOWN,DOWN,DOWN,DOWN...

Quote from: Skyscraper on Apr 29, 2016, 18:11

I'm not sure I know Last Track and After Sunglasses. Does the latter bear any relation to Sunglasses At Night? Where do I get or hear these?
Last Track is actually "Escape Velocity" and was the closing track at Coachella in 2009. After Sunglasses is supposed to be a Chems' track Don't Think, which was played after a - you guessed it - Popof Sunglasses at Night remix in the same Coachella set.
Give me a minute.

Well I'm aware of the Breezeblock below with Mary Anne Hobbs who is from the north of England. I guess her accent could be confused for Scottish, but it doesn't appear to start with Studio K. Is this the same thing?
https://www.mixcloud.com/thezencooler/the-chemical-brothers-breezeblock-mix-1999/
It's indeed that one but it's about 9 min longer, starting with Studio K, a quick talk and then the Roof's One Fire. The mixcloud version starts right after that. Oh and by the way, I only said "Scottish" because Mrs. Hobbs mentioned they came all the way to Scottland.. She's got such a great voice, btw.
Last Edit: Apr 29, 2016, 19:57 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

In particular, do we know the track from 35.45 to 37.35? Please take a listen to it, and then take a listen to this Four Tet remix of The xx's VCR, (from about 6.18 onwards).

I had always assumed that Four Tet just came up with an extraordinary remix from scratch, but if this remix came out in 2010 and Tom's Psychotronik mix is from '09, then those sounds weren't originally from the VCR remix. Could it originally be a Four Tet track? (I'm not an expert on Four Tet, although I have seen him live a couple of times I think.)

There were many of us who at the time thought it was the Four Tet remix as both the song and the psychotronik mix were released at the same time. In reality, it's an old Deuter track, Le Ciel Est Bleu.

Does anyone have a tracklist for this thing?

Here you go.

Elektriktus - Electronic mind waves
Dariush Dolat-Shahi - Sama' ·
Franco Battiato - Sequenze e Frequenze
John Bender - 33a1
Deuter - Le Ciel Est Bleu
Deuter - Singing Bell (romantic meditation) 
The Beatles - Flying

I hunted a few of these tracks down for years. In fact, I just found the ID for the Dariush Dolat-Shani track right now. Love the birds in the background. The way I found the Elektriktus track was through one of the Radio Soulwax Celestial Voyage mixes.  The Franco Battiato track is a 16 minute journey. Yes Nick.Dj, freak out about it being an Italian psych track like I freak out every time Mort Garson or Bill Blissett are mentioned cause of the Canadian connection.

As far as I'm aware the tracklisting is almost identical to that of Digital Decks . It's certainly the tracklist I refer to when listening to the Facebook mix.

Digital Decks is the bootleg of the Facebook Mix. The Facebook mix came first on the band facebook page as free download. I think the condensed hot mix was aired on the essential selection a few weeks before but then the facebook mix came out.   
Last Edit: Apr 30, 2016, 01:05 by rynostar

Quote from: rynostar on Apr 30, 2016, 00:56

I hunted a few of these tracks down for years. In fact, I just found the ID for the Dariush Dolat-Shani track right now.
Ryno, you legend! That's the only song we were missing!! I was about to post the tracklist minus that one.

So it is with time stamps:

Elektriktus - Electronic Mind Waves - start to 02:33
Dariush Dolat-Shahi - Sama' - 02:33 to 10:40
Franco Battiato   - Sequenze E Frequenze - 10:40 to 26:26
John Bender - You Put These Things Inside My Head aka 33A1 - 26:26 to 35:40
Deuter - Le Ciel Est Bleu - 35:40 to 37:28
Deuter - Singing Bells (Romantic Meditation) - 37:28 to 38:54
The Beatles - Flying - 38:53 to end

Tom said there were a few Chemical synth sounds in the mix when it was posted... I always thought the Snooprah sounding synth around 3 minutes in was one, but turns out that that's in the original. I guess we can compare to the original tracks and figure out what noises are in there by subtraction.
Last Edit: Apr 30, 2016, 02:52 by WhiteNoise

The Franco Battiato track always reminds me of the czesław niemen track pielgrzym that was used as a sample for The Test. Felt like a sibling track to Sequenze e Frequenze.

There were many of us who at the time thought it was the Four Tet remix as both the song and the psychotronik mix were released at the same time. In reality, it's an old Deuter track, Le Ciel Est Bleu.
A-ha, so I'm catching up on a 6+ year old conversation. Thanks. The sad trainspotter in me was keen to know!

Elektriktus - Electronic mind waves
Franco Battiato - Sequenze e Frequenze
John Bender - 33a1
Deuter - Le Ciel Est Bleu
Deuter - Singing Bell (romantic meditation) 
The Beatles - Flying

I hunted a few of these tracks down for years. In fact, I just found the ID for the Dariush Dolat-Shani track right now.
Well done. Glad this thread has stimulated some largely unnecessary head scratching. :)

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Apr 30, 2016, 02:48

Ryno, you legend! That's the only song we were missing!! I was about to post the tracklist minus that one.

So it is with time stamps:

Elektriktus - Electronic Mind Waves - start to 02:33
Dariush Dolat-Shahi - Sama' - 02:33 to 10:40
Franco Battiato   - Sequenze E Frequenze - 10:40 to 26:26
John Bender - You Put These Things Inside My Head aka 33A1 - 26:26 to 35:40
Deuter - Le Ciel Est Bleu - 35:40 to 37:28
Deuter - Singing Bells (Romantic Meditation) - 37:28 to 38:54
The Beatles - Flying - 38:53 to end
You can add that to your Everything-ography database, WN. Did you say you were about to go live with that a while ago?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Apr 30, 2016, 10:12

You can add that to your Everything-ography database, WN. Did you say you were about to go live with that a while ago?
Yeah. I shouldn't make promises like that while I'm still taking classes :D This summer I have almost nothing to do but what I feel like taking on, and this is at the top of my list.