Forum > Questions / FAQ

Chems DJ Mixes

(1/7) > >>

Wolkenkrabber:
Someone suggested releasing a new mix album in the “Ask Tom Rowlands” thread, and I agree that it would be a nice way of getting some Chemical edits out… But I don’t think a properly released, official mix album will happen again because:
(a) they haven’t released one for cash since 1998 – when they used to DJ more than now.
(b) there are so many mixes by DJs on soundcloud/mixcloud these days which are free, that it almost makes paid-for mix albums redundant (although Fabric are admittedly still doing them).
(c) recent history shows that the Chems do DJ mixes for free to promote a current album  - so the mixes end up on Apple Beats 1 or BBC 6 Music rather than being officially released.

Anyway, such ruminations got me wondering if there are any particularly good Chems DJ Mixes that I should own.
As you doubtless know, some but not all of their DJ mixes are listed on Discogs:
Live At The Social Volume 1, 1996.  GOT THIS
Radio 1 Anti-Nazi Mix / Interview, 1997.  DON’T HAVE (appears similar to the item below, so…I'll live)
Brothers Gonna Work It Out, 1998. GOT THIS
In Glint, 2002. DON’T HAVE
DJ Set, Paris 24/01/02 ‎(2xCDr, Comp, Mixed, Promo), 2002. DON’T HAVE
Confront Your Demons ‎(CDr, Promo, Mixed), 2003. DON’T HAVE
When You Start Hating You're Out Of Control ‎(File,  256), 2012. GOT THIS

Some more not listed on Discogs, that I’ve got digitally:
Tom’s mix for Steve Lamacq’s Evening Session, 1995 (aka Tom’s Mix For Site)
London Xpress (Xfm) mix, 2001 (but missing the first ten minutes)  i.e  THIS 
Facebook Mix, 2007
Apple Beats One mix, 2015
6 Music Chemical Christmas, 2015

It looks like there a few old Radio 1 Essential Mixes on Mixcloud which I’m guessing are all worth a listen. I’m currently listening to an old 1995 mix which starts with Eva by Jean Jacques Perry.
So, just to clarify the question: which Chems DJ mixes do y’all reckon are mandatory to hear and/or own (excluding mobile phone footage on Youtube)? Have I omitted any biggies?

rynostar:
Tom's Late Night Psychotronik mix from sometime in the late '00s (I think around Brotherhood?). Very relaxed , very spacey. It's got a few great Deuter tracks in there.

https://www.mixcloud.com/eaguilarm/tom-rowlands-late-night-psychotronik-mix/

WhiteNoise:

--- Quote from: Skyscraper on Apr 27, 2016, 00:08 ---Radio 1 Anti-Nazi Mix / Interview, 1997.  DON’T HAVE (appears similar to the item below, so…I'll live)
In Glint, 2002. DON’T HAVE

--- End quote ---
I hope you have at least heard the Anti-Nazi mix and In Glint mixes even if you don't own them! Anti-Nazi is far and beyond better than Brothers Gonna Work It Out (despite similarities), and In Glint... ugh. In Glint. It's so good!!!

You're also missing the 1994 NME Christmas cassette mix (their first released, and under the Dust Bros name), Brit Hop and Amyl House (officially credited to Vanessa Rand, Tom's then girlfriend, now wife, who he insists is a good mixer), the "Unreleased BBC Mix" (with rough mixing and early versions of Get Up On It and Loops of Fury), and Tom's 30 minute Pete Tong Takeover mix (the one with the unfinished Massive Attack Teardrop remix). You could also throw in the Annie Mac Minimix, the 5 minute mashup of "all 10" Electronic Battle Weapons.

There have been a few older radio broadcasts of mixes, many are just In Glint or Confront Your Demons with compression and idents (OOOOOIIIII YOUUUUUU THIIIIS IS ESSEEEEEEENTIAAAAL), but the 2001 NYE mix is standout. It's a live go of In Glint with somewhat different mixing, and a bunch of extra classics thrown in before and after the standard tracklist. Here ya are: https://www.mixcloud.com/thezencooler/the-chemical-brothers-live-mtv2-new-years-eve-2001/

Also, the XFM show goes on for much longer than that 30 minutes. I don't know where my copy ended up, but I'll try tracking it down...

This isn't including audience recordings of their live sets. Coachella 2009 is well worth tracking down for Last Track and After Sunglasses, and there's another recording from 2003 (I think? Centro-Fly I want to say?) that has the original versions of It Began In Afrika and their Feel The Pressure acid remix (which was only ever heard again on the Facebook Mix). Both are full recordings and nice quality for what they are.

And I echo Rynostar's Psychtronik Mix recommendation. Brilliant spacey mix full of early electronic music. Errol came by and posted it by surprise in 2009, just before Further was announced, and Tom stopped by to answer some questions. It was the first 'thing' I was there for on the forum...

rynostar:

--- Quote from: WhiteNoise on Apr 27, 2016, 03:48 ---
There have been a few older radio broadcasts of mixes, many are just In Glint or Confront Your Demons with compression and idents (OOOOOIIIII YOUUUUUU THIIIIS IS ESSEEEEEEENTIAAAAL), but the 2001 NYE mix is standout. It's a live go of In Glint with somewhat different mixing, and a bunch of extra classics thrown in before and after the standard tracklist. Here ya are: https://www.mixcloud.com/thezencooler/the-chemical-brothers-live-mtv2-new-years-eve-2001/

--- End quote ---

Any time any one brings up 'tropical house' lately, I don't think of the fad from the past few years but rather the Roland Louis - Percussion's Rhythm track in this mix.

That duck synth after It Began In Afrika still sounds amazing (and ridiculous)

Enjoyed:
I wish Tropical House sounded like that ^^ instead of the lazy 33 instead of 45 speed snoozefest that is Kygo.

If one were trying to procure some of these fine mix recommendations, particularly those live ones you mentioned... where might one look?

I have XMAS Dust Up, but only side A.
1995 Essential Mix
New Years Eve 2001
Dusted Decks, which is one of those broadcasts of In Glint with the annoying EEEEESSSSENTIAL bits.
Late Nite Psychtronik
When You Start Hating
One Mix
BBC6 Christmas

What's the Facebook mix?
And where could I stumble on Tom's Mix for Site, the XFM 2001 mix and Confront Your Demons?

Feeling empty and unworthy right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version