Did I Pass the Acid Test?

Past Live Footage (94-05)

Started by WhiteNoise, May 01, 2016, 01:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Yep just seen that!  Duration of the transmission is 50 minutes. The dvd we got 40 minute duration on the Glastonbury dvd last year. I wonder if they have another few minutes of footage? I'm kinda hoping it will be broadcast in the original 4:3 aspect I didn't like the dvd with its cropped frame to make it wide-screen
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Cool! Only got a 55 min cut (and a partly corrupted one I just noticed)! Could you lovely UK peeps record this, please?

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Jun 20, 2020, 09:51

Yep just seen that!  Duration of the transmission is 50 minutes. The dvd we got 40 minute duration on the Glastonbury dvd last year. I wonder if they have another few minutes of footage? I'm kinda hoping it will be broadcast in the original 4:3 aspect I didn't like the dvd with its cropped frame to make it wide-screen
The page says 1h 29min or am I missing something? And yeah, the original aspect ratio would be appreciated as it would preserve the image's quality.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

On the guide on my TV it says it's on 22.20 till 23.10

Last Edit: Dec 09, 2023, 16:58 by Csar

Ah, damn. So they confused the set running time with their broadcasting (their other Glasto stated schedules are matching though). It makes kind of sense since my audio copy is also just ~54 minutes long. Too bad. But at least we could get in better quality.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jun 20, 2020, 10:24
Could you lovely UK peeps record this, please?

please, please =]
Eight or over.

I will rip it from BBC iPlayer with the help of my trusty VPN

Just watching radiohead's 1997 glastonbury performance on the iPlayer. Glad to see it's in original 4:3 ratio. I reckon Saturdays chems 2000 set will look better than what we got on the surrender dvd last year

Unfortunately one of my chems dvd I have uploaded to YouTube has been removed by the bbc as it has the 2000 Glastonbury footage
Last Edit: Jun 25, 2020, 20:49 by sneakerbeater

found The Pills by accident!
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: hstn on Jun 26, 2020, 20:01
found The Pills by accident!

That intro/transition is bonkers!
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

From STTS straight to Chemical Beats :( well at least that's one track that wasn't on the DVD, but it would have been so good to have The Sunshine Underground...

This is frustrating me. It makes me think in the bbc archive they filmed the entire set. In 2000 the bbc aired hey boy, music response, block rockin and the reel. Then last year we get the dvd with song to the siren, influence and leave home in addition. And now they dig out chemical beats! I'm feeling short changed on the surrender dvd right now.

I still have hope that the iPlayer version will be full. It says 1h30 after all

And at least the quality is better than the DVD

extra bonus footage! We got at least 3 minutes of Ed's fag break!

Got the iPlayer download, it's the same as the broadcast :( 49mn. It's 720p/50fps

I've started experimenting with video enhancement software, and the results are encouraging. For example, here's the enhanced video of Music Response at Benicassim 2004:

and here's the original:

EDIT: replaced with the 50fps version
Last Edit: Jun 29, 2020, 15:13 by Ben_j

that looks cool. how did you do this? software & hardware please
no idea, no idea

I'm redoing this, but this time I added frame interpolation to 50fps first. Which makes the visuals look weird because I'm pretty sure they were 25 or 30 fps initially, and would not looks as fluid even in real life

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jun 29, 2020, 13:00

that looks cool. how did you do this? software & hardware please

I'm making the frame interpolation with DAIN https://github.com/baowenbo/DAIN
And the upscaling with Topaz video enhance AI, but I might try with ESRGAN https://github.com/xinntao/ESRGAN

EDIT:
Forgot about hardware: RTX 2080Ti and even with that, it's very slow (took 2 hours to interpolate the 4mn video and an hour to upscale it)
Last Edit: Jun 29, 2020, 13:37 by Ben_j

Spoiler
Original for comparison:
Enhanced Glastonbury 2004. This one's still a bit blocky, but it was a tough one. I think it was ripped off VHS at some point, in the wrong aspect ratio, with black bars, and might have been converted from interlaced to non interlaced at some point, which gived those horizontal artifacts. I didn't convert to 50fps because it takes waaaay too much time (would have taken more than one day for this one).
Anyway, still an improvement over the original!

My next projects are:
- Glastonbury 2000, merging the Surrender 20 DVD and BBC broadcast footage to make the longest version possible
- Fuji 2002, again using both the footage sneaker just posted on the other thread and the Singles 93-03 DVD footage to have an uninterrupted video
Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 16:33 by Ben_j

Look pretty good again! The source material was in a pretty poor state and I botched that edit together. Really wish I had the original source download and VHS tape kicking around. It

I like your idea on the Fuji rock, was thinking that edit needs to be done. Will your process cope with that ghosting motion effect on the rip I have of Fuji rock?

Got plenty more video in the archive! How about galvanize and block rocking beats from v2005

Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 17:45 by sneakerbeater