'Til We Meet Again, Oh My Love

Past Live Footage (94-05)

Started by WhiteNoise, May 01, 2016, 01:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice work Ben! Now I wanna do the same but with several eras (like my best ofs playlists).

Quote from: Ben_j on Mar 22, 2021, 09:43

Thanks, your work on the 07/08 tour dvd is what gave me the idea in the first place! I'm gonna try and do 1997 next, with the recently surfaced New York VHS footage, but sadly there's not much material to work with, from what I can remember, Chemical Beats and Setting Sun from Glasto 1997 (in pretty poor quality), and that's it.

Throwing a bottle in the sea, but does anyone have some 97 footage, like the one above, in better quality ? Like the original video from above. Bob, maybe ?
theres the VHS tape from Crotor that came out last year, I can loan you a superset I plan on releasing for 1997 on the Archive that you can use to dub over the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yclUNGDLozI&ab_channel=CrotorMcCrotor
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I would imagine syncing any different audio source up to a VHS video is going to be a nightmare. I guarantee the audio would be noticeable out of synch in a matter of minutes

The 97 VHS bootleg stands on it own, if that was to be edited with new audio sources it would loose some of its authenticity. The greatest thing about that video is seeing and hearing Tom working that mixing desk. And for that reason alone I don't think you could over dub it.

But if anyone wants to try try and make something up with the stuff that is out there then I love to see the results
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Quote from: Bob Chipezka on Mar 22, 2021, 14:56

Hardly. Need to plow youtube / soulseek

Yeah I stumbled on that one as well. And soulseek didn't give much for the moment :/

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Mar 22, 2021, 15:19

I would imagine syncing any different audio source up to a VHS video is going to be a nightmare. I guarantee the audio would be noticeable out of synch in a matter of minutes

The 97 VHS bootleg stands on it own, if that was to be edited with new audio sources it would loose some of its authenticity. The greatest thing about that video is seeing and hearing Tom working that mixing desk. And for that reason alone I don't think you could over dub it.

But if anyone wants to try try and make something up with the stuff that is out there then I love to see the results

I didn't think about potential sync problems :/ I'm gonna give it a try anyway

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Mar 22, 2021, 14:58

Nice work Ben! Now I wanna do the same but with several eras (like my best ofs playlists).
theres the VHS tape from Crotor that came out last year, I can loan you a superset I plan on releasing for 1997 on the Archive that you can use to dub over the footage.
Yeah that's what I planned on using as the main footage. And I have full Glasto 1997 audio already

The synchronisation is indeed looking like it will be a nightmare :D There's a lot more jam and improv on the New York set than on Glastonbury, and even when the track is played exactly the same, it's out of sync by about a second at the end of the track, so I'll have to figure something out to fix this.

Tonight I've also been reviewing footage from 99/2000 and the next project will probably be putting together Glastonbury 2000 and Woodstock 1999. I'll probably need an anti-boobs filter ::)

I've not used Ableton much in my life but have used it in the past to sort out tempo issues on these video projects.

If you had an audio track of the VHS video and used that as a template could you add a second track, for example glastonbury 97 audio nd warp it to match? Might be very time consuming but it should do the job.
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Still love the "Steal?!" moment at 2:10 ;D

Yeah, yeah, Tom, we all know how much you making sounds on your analog synthesizers..

I'm joking, Ed, if you're reading :)
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2021, 17:54 by Explud
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Csar on Mar 19, 2021, 21:08

Interesting. The Open Air audio recording I have has Got Glint cut out. After the Test fades out, it's immediately followed by the Reel and the segue between them is also edited it seems. Interesting.
Never knew that there was something cut from the recording. 90 minutes is their standard festival set time, so it never occurde to me that there might be more. There's a voiceover announcing the radio station (?) several times during the recording, so probably it got cut in order to not exceed a program time slot?
Open Air Fields is such an amazing recording and one of my top "wish I'd been there" concerts.
I'm really looking forward to watching Benjs video edit!  :)

Quote from: Explud on Mar 23, 2021, 17:43

Yeah, yeah, Tom, we all know how much you making sounds on your analog synthesizers..

Hahaha. I love Tom's indignation.
Yes, this was a bit of a diplomatic misunderstanding, I guess. The poor guy most certainly meant "sample". Or Tom felt he got caught :D

But, like the small-time criminals in the corner who occasionally stare over at us twits, the Chemical Brothers are most definately petty thieves. They don't bother to pay for the rights to much of what they sample. Somewhere on their new album, they explain, is a snatch from a famous classic-rock song, though they refuse to say which classic-rock song.
"I guarantee you," Ed Simons says, "we could play that track for ten of the top musicologists in the world, -and- the guy who actually played the music originally, and none of them would be able to figure it out."
-- Details Magazin, 1997
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'm joking, Ed, if you're reading

haha gotta protect yourself against occasional Ed diss
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Quote from: kosek on Mar 24, 2021, 11:10

haha gotta protect yourself against occasional Ed diss

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Do you have any advice for us Yet-Unscathed, Wolkenkrabber? :D
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Congrats on your video Ben J, I've yet to check it out.   :)

The natives are getting restless, Edwardo. Time to bring some Scooby snacks!

Quote from: neorev on Mar 24, 2021, 21:26

Anyone have just the audio of OpenAir set?

What year? I believe I have 2002 if that's what you're looking for.

Quote from: Biff on Mar 25, 2021, 15:23

What year? I believe I have 2002 if that's what you're looking for.

Yeah, the 2002 set, as in the concert from Ben_J's video.

Let me see what I can do in uploading it somewhere today and I'll Pm you the link.👍

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Mar 23, 2021, 09:15

I've not used Ableton much in my life but have used it in the past to sort out tempo issues on these video projects.

If you had an audio track of the VHS video and used that as a template could you add a second track, for example glastonbury 97 audio nd warp it to match? Might be very time consuming but it should do the job.

That's exactly what I would like to do, and it's easy in Ableton, but I have no idea how to do it in Premiere. Oh well

In other news, here's an upscale of Glastonbury 2007:

Not a fantastic result tbh. And I did try to make a 60fps version, but there were way too many artifacts due to the fast changing scenes and flashing lights

Quote from: Ben_j on Mar 26, 2021, 16:12

Not a fantastic result tbh.
yes, sorry to say that but doesn't look that good  :-[

Which software do you use for resizing your videos?

Haven't tried it yet, but there's a free version of DaVinci Resolve (you have to register anyway) - maybe you get better results with that?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/fr/products/davinciresolve/
no idea, no idea

Thanks for the link

I usually listen to the Roskilde 2002 show, but that one is only an hour and 8 minutes.

Hardly. Need to plow youtube / soulseek

Yooooo, glad you guys like the upload, I was blown away when I stumbled upon it! I was actually looking for some Daft Punk footage at the time, but found this gem instead!

Btw, I've started work on making a definitive Chemical Brothers live set tracker which features both audio recordings and video footage currently available from 1994 to 1999 (I've only gotten as far as 1997 so far, but I'll be adding some more sets soon! Just working on uploading files for easy access)

You can find the link here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fl88Bg4eBJCKaalupgP6VWBQeC801QwTAg6G7rh22J8/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know If I have missed anything!
Last Edit: Jun 24, 2021, 22:26 by ChemicalBeats