I Know What to Do: I'm Going to Lose My Mind

Can we believe it? The Avalanches...

Started by pnx, May 23, 2016, 21:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Took a couple of listens for me to get into it but I like it now. its probably more the earlier raw production values of the avalanches showing in this mix. Not sure if anyone outside OZ has heard of the DMAs? I think they supported Liam Gallagher and he was really into them. They started getting into the whole manchester scene as well:

...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: MIKL on Sep 01, 2020, 11:50
Took a couple of listens for me to get into it but I like it now. its probably more the earlier raw production values of the avalanches showing in this mix. Not sure if anyone outside OZ has heard of the DMAs?
Haven't heard of them myself, can't say it seems like my thing. I do like the production style on this though, and agree it's closer to the early stuff.

Took me a few listens to get into the latest "Wherever You Go" single but it's growing on me! The NASA orchestra video is very cool!

They've kindly decided to do this for Melbourne (where I am and they are) as this city and state are in lockdown compared to rest of the country:

They dropped this one for the lockdown mix above (which seems to be not available anymore just live):

Me again, the album's out if anyones interested. This Sunshine Underground sound bite appears throughout the album and particularly again in this track with Tricky where the whole thing is played (how theres a before and after effect of the whole sound when you hear it in TSU)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep1x_F3yfVU&list=OLAK5uy_mXFHGweBeksDd8cHJAsHUsfCjFZCJyojs&index=13

Picked up the LP yesterday and listened a couple times. Thoroughly enjoying it so far

Just listened to it.  Absolutely gorgeous album!

I like the whole album concept too. its pretty chill but still funky in moments. loved the majority of the singles. the fight your dreaming song still not sure about.

I ordered a signed copy online with a link/ticket to there live performance later this month. shame I can't go cause its Melbourne on a rooftop but of course covid. looking forward to listening to the album uninterrupted without you tube ads etc.
Last Edit: Dec 14, 2020, 22:02 by MIKL

yea, finally got around to putting it on this afternoon..now it's on repeat
Eight or over.

According to Wikipedia, Tom contributed to Oh The Sunn!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Will_Always_Love_You#Personnel

(using EMS and Roland System 700 synths)
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Nice find! I noticed Tom was thanked in the liner notes, but not Ed (or Chems specifically), and that makes a bit if sense now

love that Kurt Vile track on the new album. Became a fan of his, and I think he's someone the Chems could work with, too.

Just bought tix for Chicago show!!!  We will Always Love You was easily my favorite album of last year and I've been wanting to see them for years.  Well beyond overly excited for this.

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Jul 23, 2021, 06:04

Just bought tix for Chicago show!!!  We will Always Love You was easily my favorite album of last year and I've been wanting to see them for years.  Well beyond overly excited for this.

Will probably do this, too. 4 years ago The Avalanches canceled on the day of the show at 2017 Pitchfork Music festival, so this is a long awaited make up.

Can we also take time to acknowledge Biz Markie's passing? I know this is not the best thread to do so, but The Avalanches did work with him. RIP Biz

Probably should be noted, again, that MF Doom's death was announced early this year, too. The Avalanches have low-key curse going on. Danny Brown, be careful out there!

Hope you got a ticket Bosco because it sold out yesterday.

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Jul 24, 2021, 16:49

Hope you got a ticket Bosco because it sold out yesterday.

nah, dangit. Can't say I'm surprised, though. Metro was too small of venue for this.

I'll probably be able to find one closer to date. I'm not in the right state of mind to purchase stuff that far in advance (that is unless it's the Chemical Brothers).

The new albulm is one of my favorite albums of the past few years, not just from a sound standpoint, which is certainly is, but also from a visual design and packaging standpoint.   So beautiful and creative in many ways.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 23, 2021, 22:12

Can we also take time to acknowledge Biz Markie's passing? I know this is not the best thread to do so, but The Avalanches did work with him. RIP Biz

One of the very first CDs I ever bought was in 1991 from his brother...The Diamond Shell.    In my entire life, I have never actually met anybody who knew what the fuck I was talking about when I mentioned that CD.  They always know Biz Markie though. 

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 07, 2016, 20:58

^ Well that didn't last long! Pumisher, I don't suppose you managed to grab a copy of it did you?
For those who didn't see it, it really was very good. I mean that in the visual sense more than musically. About 130 films and tv shows edited together to create a 13 minute music video. Read more about it HERE.

I just watched this for the first time. And normally I would probably give up on such a long video, but this was so captivating (especially for those who like media/film).