Maybe I Feel Out of Control

Upcoming Dig Your Own Hole 20 year anniversary speculation and or suggestions

Started by Bosco, May 25, 2016, 19:20

Previous topic - Next topic
This forum is sooooo dead right now, so lets talk about something that's been stirring in my mind about the future of The Chemical Brothers.

'Dig Your Own Hole' is a pivotal album for The Chemical Brothers that really put them on the map, world wide. It's probably the most listened album by the casual music fan, that is in their catalog, so far. In April of 2017, it will be celebrating it's 20th anniversary.

So what needs to happen?

A phony baloney 20th Anniversary Re-Master. Maybe some interviews, with Tom and Ed's perspective on the album 20 years later, a radio/club/concert perspective on how this album became so huge. Some unreleased live tape, and maybe a special deluxe package that includes an EP. But most important of all... A vinyl re-issue. The album has become rather scarce out in the open market, and vinyl collecting is becoming quite the thing these days. Time to cash in.

Additionally, it would be fun to see some special concerts that play 'Dig Your Own Hole' in full.

alright have at it y'all
Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 19:27 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on May 25, 2016, 19:20

Additionally, it would be fun to see some special concerts that play 'Dig Your Own Hole' in full.

THIS is what I would like to see.

I imagine they would try to distance themselves from being accused of copying Underworld's anniversary releases. But a live highlights disc would be great. I don't get the impression they have tonnes of unreleased material from that era. I may be wrong.

I'd also be interested to hear a collection of contemporary artists doing remixes for each the tracks. There'd undoubtedly be some crap forced in by the label but, for example, a Leon Vynehall remix of Piku would sound just swell.

I don't know. The pessimist in me says there'll be a few articles and that's it.
I think they'd make more of a fuss about Surrender...
Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 22:54 by Enjoyed
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

The BBC had many specials on Radio1 with the 15th anniversary of Dig your own hole. I'd love to see an Underworld aproach on 20th anniversarys of the Chemical Brothers album(s) but I don't see that happen. Even a re-issue like Music for the Jilted Generation got from XL would be great.

The reason I think it won't happen is that Tom and Ed do things like they see fit. This probably is because their music is owned by their own Freestyle Dust label so there is no record company breathing down their necks for new releases or money making re-issues or greatist hits.

But I surely hope Bosco proposals will become reality. A tour where DYOH is played front to back, with the old school drumcomputer and visuals would be awsome. And in the smaller venues where they played in 1997.

And maybe Ed and Tom should look behind their couch what tracks are still hidden from the DYOH era.

Can't argue with 'Surrender' potentially being more worthy of the honorary treatment, by the numbers I think it has outsold 'Dig Your Own Hole'. However, the impression I get is that majority of people identify 'Dig Your Own Hole'as THE start of The Chemical Brothers (even though it's their sophomore album.) And that in itself is worth honoring. Oh yeah, and it just happens to be a fucking bad ass album. 

Furthermore, all this is probably moot, because wasn't it said by Tom during 'Born in The Echoes' interviews that they are sitting on bunch of new unreleased material? Maybe they will jump back in the studio and put out another album instead.
Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:40 by Bosco

Quote from: Joslyn on May 25, 2016, 22:13

Even a re-issue like Music for the Jilted Generation got from XL would be great.

If you would have said "like Fat Of The Land," I would have considered the cost of flying across the Atlantic Ocean to slap you with the back of my hand. 

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on May 26, 2016, 03:53

If you would have said "like Fat Of The Land," I would have considered the cost of flying across the Atlantic Ocean to slap you with the back of my hand. 

Nah.The re-issue of TFOTL with Added Fat stupid remixes is SHITE (I don't have it being a Prodigy fan). More Music for the Jilted Generation had a descent extra cd with the Radio 1 live recordings.

Is there material from the DYOH era we don't know? It was the time with the double CD singles, BRB and Elektrobank, a good amount of b-sides, a live version of Setting Sun, imo 1 descent remix from the Micronauts. And it was a time when bootlegs where still out there with BEATS, a live 1995 recording at Brixton, being a very good one quality wise. And even recently the 1995 Leicester recording resurfaced on the web.
So I hope Bosco is right but I wonder what could be added.
Same goes for the Surrender anniversary in 3 years time.
Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:10 by Joslyn

I'd be happy with a simple 2-disc remaster including b-sides and remixes. The full-album concert would also be very cool, particularly if it was recorded for purchase like Don't Think.

I know Tom and Ed don't like to look backwards, but DYOH was special and deserves something.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Yummy, a remasterd DYOH would taste so delicous (as well as a remastered EPD!!). I'd like to have one served with a studio version of the dissolve/private psychedelic reel/sympathy for the devil live mix! That's all I ask.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on May 26, 2016, 22:06

Yummy, a remasterd DYOH would taste so delicous (as well as a remastered EPD!!)
Happy with EPD, Loops Of Fury E.P. and DYOH as they are. The ones they should remaster or at least re-release are the Song To The Siren single, the Fourteen Century Sky E.P. and the My Mercury Mouth E.P. (with both versions of Dust Up Beats, and the one version has to be the full version WN recently shared)
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Csar on May 26, 2016, 22:06

Yummy, a remasterd DYOH would taste so delicous (as well as a remastered EPD!!). I'd like to have one served with a studio version of the dissolve/private psychedelic reel/sympathy for the devil live mix! That's all I ask.

I would absolutely love that, but I would imagine there would be a complication on the use of The Rolling Stones sample. It's one thing to have it intermingled while you play live, it's another when it's sampled and used to be sold for profit.

And if it were to be released, god dammit, get the Out of Control/Don't Fight It, Feel It/ It Doesn't Matter properly released too!
Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:31 by Bosco

Super limited collectors edition could include:

A replica wig of Tom's former long blonde hair. Along with Super COOL tinted shades. Literally, lowers the temperature around you within a 10 foot radius.

First 50 orders will get a signed copy of Ed Simons autobiography 'It Doesn't Matter Or: How I Learned to Love the Vocal Loop' Complete with Morning Lemon cigarette book mark.

If you purchase 100 albums in a single order, you're invited to a private dinner with Tom and Ed that is catered by Steve Dub and his famous Jerk Chicken.

Why do we have to remaster Exit Planet Dust and DYOH?

They were really well produced. I think material that needs to be reworked is stuff like Prescription Beats, their b-side material from those eras. There is a lot of depth to EPD and DYOH, let's not just make it a wall of noise with no dynamic.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dig  Your  Own  Hole  20th  Anniversary  promo  (fan) artwork

" Everybody  jumpin out of their mind  "

There hasn't been an anniversary release for Exit Planet Dust in 2015, so I guess there won't be for Dig Your Own Hole either ...
So let your body rock...

Quote from: Fine Time on May 30, 2016, 17:43

Dig  Your  Own  Hole  20th  Anniversary  promo  (fan) artwork

I like it! And as a matter of fact it would probably be a fun idea to have a modern re-take of all the album art (including singles) from both "Dig Your Own Hole" and "Exit Planet Dust"

Quote from: orangewedge99 on Jun 01, 2016, 08:52

There hasn't been an anniversary release for Exit Planet Dust in 2015, so I guess there won't be for Dig Your Own Hole either ...

The idea is to re-release an album that will have a corresponding strong re-market value. I really love "Exit Planet Dust", and I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings when I say this. But isn't it obvious that "Dig Your Own Hole" or "Surrender" are the most iconic albums they have released?

Before anyone jumps, my favorite is "Come With Us". But in no way would I have any expectations of it being re-released.

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 01, 2016, 20:31

Before anyone jumps, my favorite is "Come With Us". But in no way would I have any expectations of it being re-released.

Wouldn't it just be magical though??
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 01, 2016, 20:31

CWU is my second favorite following DYOH. It's delivers terrible on singles but it works amazing as an album. That's why DYOH is still 1 imo because it does both

Quote from: Joslyn on Jun 02, 2016, 05:22

CWU is my second favorite following DYOH. It's delivers terrible on singles but it works amazing as an album.
Are you talking bad about Star Guitar or The Test?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jun 02, 2016, 07:47

Are you talking bad about Star Guitar or The Test?

No. Star Guitar is good, The Test is effing amazing. But CWU isn't an album of tracks with hits/singles. But it works amazing as a complete album. I allways listen to CWU as a whole. I can listen to DYOH in fragments. IDM/DSTR/GUOILT is a part, K-hole/begin/TPPR is a part, BRB until SS could all be hitsingles.