Who Is This Doin' This Synthetic Type of Alpha Beta Psychedelic Funkin'?

Under Neon Lights (feat. St. Vincent)

Started by ThePumisher, Jun 22, 2015, 19:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, while I will hold off listening to any new single before the album's release I do like reading the reviews it's getting - which seem mixed a little. The following one, though, makes me really curious to listen to it:
The Chemicals Brothers return continues with the crystal clear rave anthem "Under Neon Lights." The third single from their forthcoming album is unlike anything being produced today. It drums up nostalgia for the age of analog synths and acid arps, a spectacle of brilliant vocals and hi-fi electronica indicative of the late 90s electronic boom. Their latest is robotic and vibrant, a clean and buzzing collection of trippy big beat production work as only Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons could muster.
http://www.dancingastronaut.com/2015/06/chemical-brothers-release-rave-anthem-neon-lights/
Last Edit: Jun 23, 2015, 17:15 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

UNL hasn't grown on me despite repeated listens, but still optimistic for the rest of the album.

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I need to get used to on those vocals, but i think overall, it's a good tune, not massive, but good. It will be very interesting to hear the rest when it comes out.

Love every single bit of this new song. It definitely has some grit! I'm glad they teamed up with St Vincent, she is such a good singer and performer!

I was avoiding this until after Glastonbury (my thinking being that, should they play new stuff, at least I'd have this to keep me going until the 17th) but I'm all over it now.

I love it. It's got some No Need and All Rights Reversed vibes but it also has a very similar vocal thing going on to Little Fish, one of my favourites from the new Leftfield album.

Proper wacky and wonderful drum loop in the middle and lots of excellent squeeks and bleeps, as per usual.

It doesn't really 'drop' at any point. Kinda like SIFSD. But it works for me. I can imagine a dirtier bigger version (like the version of Go from Glastonbury) surfacing at some point.
It's more like being sat in a boat a top an ocean of different sonic colours and feels; swaying, rocking, undulating, but never quite submersing or full on drowning in the noise.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I've been listening to this track ever since it was released and I absolutely love it. It has the Modern Midnight conversation feel about it. Its fast, electronic and love all the little sounds in between. The vocals add another layer of texture. How can you not like this track?

This has been my favorite so far, until I properly hear I'll See You There.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I will hold off listening to new stuff until the day of release, I thank you for the descriptions that sound quite promising. Midnight Conversation, All Rights, No Need and a nasty drum beat in the middle are great references. It's received mixed thoughts on the web2.0 thing which made me worrying a little (like 'this is not the Chems' and all that crap). But reading this now all seems quite bright and chemically in order!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I commend the people who are holding it till the album release. Not to eat a piece of candy which is right infront of you, begging for you to just put your fat mouth around it and chew it as all the juices flow and fill your fat face with its sweet goodness is beyond me. I have to have it.

It would be like having a perfectly formed line of coke on the table infront of a coke junkie and not be able to snort it cuz you are waiting for the your whole lb of cocaine(or however they come) to come from your dealer.

Because I hope the fresh and unspoiled experience will result in a bigger eargasm. Call me a hopeless fool.
But don't think my big fat mouth wasn't already close to that candy. Very close.  :P
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jun 30, 2015, 21:12

Because I hope the fresh and unspoiled experience will result in a bigger eargasm. Call me a hopeless fool.
But don't think my big fat mouth wasn't already close to that candy. Very close.  :P

I think you're gonna be right. There are a few albums I've done that for and not knowing at all what is coming, compared to recognising the odd track here and there, is much more of an experience. I know I'm going to be taken out of the moment a little when I start subconsciously jamming along to that extra bass stab in Go before it starts playing.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

The more I listen to this track, the more I love it.  And sometimes at random, for no reason when I'm not listening to anything at all, this song will pop into my head. The only thing I can think of why this would happen is there's something about this song that permeates my subconscious. It is the strangest thing.

The track is haunting and is totally not what I expected.  The  way the vocals echo and swirl about. In  some ways it feels like the troubled sister of Hold Tight London. Someone on the forum once described Hold Tight London as a feeling of warm electricity moving through your body very slowly. Under Neon Lights conjures a similar feeling of an electric current making itself present above the din - but colder, darker, heavier, challenging, and teeters on the edge of taking me out of my chemical comfort zone.

I'm so excited to hear this in context of the album!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I wasn't impressed with UNL when I first heard it, but it really grew on me after I listened to it a couple of times. It's still my least favourite track from the BITE material we know so far, that doesn't mean however that it's a bad track. The darker theme of UNL could fit really well on the album before EML Ritual.

Quote from: Stefan on Jul 01, 2015, 11:16

The darker theme of UNL could fit really well on the album before EML Ritual.

I think that may boost up my grade for UNL,since its leading into EML Ritual. I'm kind of feeling black sheepish while everybody has given it early high marks. 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Hold tight London's troubled sister. ahhahah that's exactly what I was thinking.

I loved this track from the first listen, from the first few seconds of that synth to be honest. I love it so much I'm going to marry it.

Quote from: chemreact on Jul 01, 2015, 19:47

I loved this track from the first listen, from the first few seconds of that synth to be honest. I love it so much I'm going to marry it.

That synth it's so magical. It can bring tears just in seconds.

Quote from: chemreact on Jul 01, 2015, 19:47

Hold tight London's troubled sister. ahhahah that's exactly what I was thinking.
I can see where the comparison to Hold Tight London is coming from and it was also among my thoughts at the first listening, but Hold Tight London is the stronger, and I think more troubled, track for me. The music and especially the lyrics with just a few phrases achieve a weird mixture of desire, despair and also hope. The song really connects with me on very different emotional levels.
Under Neon Lights is also quite dark (which I like), it just isn't as melodious.

Quote from: Stefan on Jul 01, 2015, 22:34

I can see where the comparison to Hold Tight London is coming from and it was also among my thoughts at the first listening, but Hold Tight London is the stronger, and I think more troubled, track for me. The music and especially the lyrics with just a few phrases achieve a weird mixture of desire, despair and also hope. The song really connects with me on very different emotional levels.
Under Neon Lights is also quite dark (which I like), it just isn't as melodious.
Yeah. Hold Tight London is a track you play for your lover to make passionate, sweet tender love to and Under Neon Light for the side bitch you messin with on the  weekends. You feel me whirls? lmao It might not be melodious singing wise but I thought there were some nice musical notes in there.  UNL is definitely better for dancing and HTL for listening to on headphones and get lost into.