Hey Girl

So here we are!

Started by whirlygirl, Jun 26, 2015, 13:37

Previous topic - Next topic
You may have noticed things are pretty sparse around here in terms of content and  post counts. Not all is lost! While we couldn't obtain the  forum database from the powers that be, we still have a static copy of old content. The old posts  and threads are there to some extent, but if we want to make them active, it all must be transferred bit by bit - which is a ton of work and is as every bit painstaking as you can imagine! To that end, old threads can be resurrected through blood sweat and tears *but* the decision to start anew ('Born In The Echoes'of the old forum, if you will) was reached to mark a sort of fresh start where we can all be aimless and clueless n00bs again. ;)

That said,  we want to get some linkage from the main site here (unofficially official, or officially unofficial depending on how you look at it) and integrate Facebook and all that jazz and are working to that goal, so the rules of the old forum still apply. Don't file share, don't illegally link/share unreleased material. Don't do things that will anger the gods. You all made it easy for me on the last forum, so please let's keep it that way!

Lastly, the team here is dedicated to running things smoothly and quickly but. please be patient as we all tread new waters. This is as new for the development team as it is for you. If you notice something amiss, please report it so it can be fixed. And please feel free to ask questions.

Love you guys!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hi Whirly! Are we able to see the old threads even if we don't reactivate them? Or is that a big old pain in the a$$?
anyone else think the default font is a bit petite?
Actually it looks ok once you've posted it, but looks small when typing.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Take your time Mods. Kind of winging it here with a few posts. Only thing that matters is that the gang is back together.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jun 29, 2015, 15:02

Hi Whirly! Are we able to see the old threads even if we don't reactivate them? Or is that a big old pain in the a$$?
anyone else think the default font is a bit petite?
Actually it looks ok once you've posted it, but looks small when typing.
Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jun 29, 2015, 17:23

Take your time Mods. Kind of winging it here with a few posts. Only thing that matters is that the gang is back together.

Yay!! Hi!!

We are all kind of winging it, for sure!

I  think Ben_j may have done a forum dump on the old site (prior to I Feel So Deserted) but am not sure where that static info is stored or if it's accessible. I will send him a nudge and see what's up.

It does look a bit on the small side when typing a reply (on a desktop). I'm not sure if that can be modified to make the font size bigger. The font size in the reply box seems standard on my iphone/ipad. Not sure about Android.

To everyone - if the small font size in the reply box is making you go blind please speak up and we can maybe look into getting it changed. :)

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jun 30, 2015, 01:11

It does look a bit on the small side when typing a reply (on a desktop). I'm not sure if that can be modified to make the font size bigger. The font size in the reply box seems standard on my iphone/ipad. Not sure about Android.

To everyone - if the small font size in the reply box is making you go blind please speak up and we can maybe look into getting it changed. :)
Easily fixable, once I get home. The default forum uses a large font and sizes down, we're using a Google font literally smaller thand the default's font, so there  is still some old code occasionally making  things freakishly small
Never for money, always for love.

Finally the helvetica, arial, verdana nightmare is over!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

K, the old threads are accessible (view only) right here on the forum, by looking at the archive section. That's all we have for now. Anything posted after that info was collected from Sometimes I Feel So Deserted on... Is lost to the sands of time.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 01, 2015, 00:06

K, the old threads are accessible (view only) right here on the forum, by looking at the archive section. That's all we have for now. Anything posted after that info was collected from Sometimes I Feel So Deserted on... Is lost to the sands of time.
But when I go to "archive" and click on a thread on that familiar looking old forum, it just takes me to the current Chems "buy our album" website. What am I doing wrong?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 01, 2015, 01:58

But when I go to "archive" and click on a thread on that familiar looking old forum, it just takes me to the current Chems "buy our album" website. What am I doing wrong?

That's really weird! Try the direct link below?

http://benjisbrk.com/public/chemicalbrothersforum/forum.thechemicalbrothers.com/

If you're still having trouble please let me know because if you are then other people are probably having the same problem, I'm able to view it fine (I'm on my iPad) and will check again later on this evening or tomorrow whenever I can kick my son off the computer, to see if I can replicate the problem.

Hm. I tried different sub-forums and threads and they all worked fine for me. The only rhings that link me back to the new official site are "sign-in, register and help" buttons as well as these buttons in the lower black bar ("Today's active content" etc.).
Perhaps it could be a browser issue?
Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015, 08:03 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Well, I was clicking the last post of a thread. For example on the "Ideas and Suggestions for a new forum" thread I was clicking  the bit that should take me to the last post by Bosco. That takes me to the new Chems site. But I now realise that if I click the actual subject of the thread it takes me into the thread. Bingo.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 01, 2015, 10:21

Well, I was clicking the last post of a thread. For example on the "Ideas and Suggestions for a new forum" thread I was clicking  the bit that should take me to the last post by Bosco. That takes me to the new Chems site. But I now realise that if I click the actual subject of the thread it takes me into the thread. Bingo.
Ah, now I see it too. Well, it's most likey because the last-post links still refer to the old forum platform which is no more.
Last Edit: Jul 01, 2015, 10:39 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 01, 2015, 10:21

Has to do with the way the site was mirrored. It crawls through the website and makes copies of everything, then follows links and makes copies of each link. But if you don't filter out certain links you get like 8 copies of each thread and the file size is enourmous. So we filtered out the "last post" links since they were causing duplicates.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 01, 2015, 23:18

Has to do with the way the site was mirrored. It crawls through the website and makes copies of everything, then follows links and makes copies of each link. But if you don't filter out certain links you get like 8 copies of each thread and the file size is enourmous. So we filtered out the "last post" links since they were causing duplicates.
New Question: How do I quote a post so that it also shows a post that it was quoting? So in the example above it would show where WN was quoting me.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 05, 2015, 09:45

New Question: How do I quote a post so that it also shows a post that it was quoting? So in the example above it would show where WN was quoting me.

We can quote multiple posts - but when quoting something there's no way the quote within a quote will show up. I don't know if there was a forum code modification for that, but will check with the admins to see what's up with that.

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 05, 2015, 09:45
Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 02, 2015, 01:18

Well, I don't know how this would work in code but for now what you could do is highlight the post you want to quote and use the Quote selected button to show at least the text of that quote. It's not a nice workaround, I know.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Explud was super quick to address this - the nesting quotes feature is disabled. If we were to enable it, it could generate a quoting nightmare. So for now the workaround Csar  suggested could be a lo-fi solution!

Just thought I'd say hi, new to the forum but been with Tom & Ed for over 20 years, showing my age now! And to me it's Tom & Ed, not sure what others preference is?
A Chemical Child from a Chemical Generation who is old enough to know better, but thinks "Hey! Let's do it anyway!"

Quote from: Clazzer on Jul 21, 2015, 19:20

Just thought I'd say hi, new to the forum but been with Tom & Ed for over 20 years, showing my age now! And to me it's Tom & Ed, not sure what others preference is?
Welcome to the forum, Clazzer. The sound ripens with age, so that's a good thing I guess.
— Aurora (The Seed)

I agree Csar, I agree :music
A Chemical Child from a Chemical Generation who is old enough to know better, but thinks "Hey! Let's do it anyway!"