US Elections 2016

Started by ThePumisher, Nov 08, 2016, 11:09

Previous topic - Next topic
so today is the day?

no idea, no idea

It is. Good luck, people :)
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

I am an American citizen.

After much deliberation, today I bypassed my preferred 3rd Party human rights and climate change activist to vote for the untrustworthy big bank friendly war hawk corporate shill. I did this for my kids and their future, for the Supreme Court nominations, for all women, for those of different color or sexual orientation, for the underprivileged, for the disabled, for the artists, for the free thinkers and for all those whom oppose authoritarian rule. I did this because our nation has a very good chance of electing an inexperienced xenophobic hateful buffoon would-be fascist and his Cabinet of scary white men, and I cannot let these people win.

It could have been so much different. It SHOULD have been so much different. It should have been Bernis Sanders.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: satur8 on Nov 08, 2016, 15:14

I am an American citizen.

After much deliberation, today I bypassed my preferred 3rd Party human rights and climate change activist to vote for the untrustworthy big bank friendly war hawk corporate shill. I did this for my kids and their future, for the Supreme Court nominations, for all women, for those of different color or sexual orientation, for the underprivileged, for the disabled, for the artists, for the free thinkers and for all those whom oppose authoritarian rule. I did this because our nation has a very good chance of electing an inexperienced xenophobic hateful buffoon would-be fascist and his Cabinet of scary white men, and I cannot let these people win.

It could have been so much different. It SHOULD have been so much different. It should have been Bernis Sanders.

It's sad that now every vote is a vote against someone, and not for someone. Every time I had to vote, I ended up thinking "who's the best choice to make sure X doesn't get to the second turn ?".
Next year's elections in France will be horrible, there's not a single candidate I want to vote for, yet I'm pretty sure I will end up doing the same as always...

Quote from: satur8 on Nov 08, 2016, 15:14

It could have been so much different. It SHOULD have been so much different. It should have been Bernie Sanders.
This, so much. It's why I can't bring myself to vote for Hillary, and by extension the corruption and collusion that happened within the DNC to bring him down. Maybe I'm young and naive in thinking we can have a government that does away with corruption - maybe that's a good thing, maybe I'll grow out it. But so long as Indiana's not a swing state, I'm voting third party and for a future with better options than the ones we have now.
Never for money, always for love.

Don't worry.  The election will be over today and tomorrow the race for 2020 will begin...

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Nov 08, 2016, 16:44

This, so much. It's why I can't bring myself to vote for Hillary, and by extension the corruption and collusion that happened within the DNC to bring him down. Maybe I'm young and naive in thinking we can have a government that does away with corruption - maybe that's a good thing, maybe I'll grow out it. But so long as Indiana's not a swing state, I'm voting third party and for a future with better options than the ones we have now.
Great way to go! I couldn't vote for either one, too, to be honest and I totally get your reasoning. Both candiates have more than questionable personalities.

I don't envy you Americans right now because this whole elecetion season has been nothing but a disgrace. Let's see what the outcome will be. I somehow believe Trump is going to make it, though. Any bets?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Nov 08, 2016, 16:44
Maybe I'm young and naive in thinking we can have a government that does away with corruption

I think it's neither naive nor a detriment to youth. It's a strength and a belief that needs to be fought for. If anything, I am a Gen X'er that stands with Millennials. It hurt my heart to vote for Hillary, but my post is pretty detailed on my reasoning. I REALLY wanted to go 3rd Party and I dispise the 'lesser of 2 evils' arguement. Now, I'm not one to buy into the hype...but I've been voting in Presidential Elections since 1992 and this one feels different. Dangerous. So maybe it's not so much the youth as it is personal experience. I can tell you it is NOT normal for the Nazi's and White Supremicists to come out so brazenly as they have this year. Based on this, I felt it was most important to shut down their guy with our heaviest hitter. 
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I have to say, I completely agree with Satur8.

The simple fact that Trump has let all of this hate and fear and racism come out into the open is reason enough to vote the other way - to burry it deep, deep underground. I've been following this election pretty closely for the last year (admittedly through liberal media) but I am still yet to see any evidence that Hilary isn't the better moral vote. I understand she is just another  politician that doesn't represent a serious forward step in terms of making a better system for everyone, but even a sniff of a hope that Trump could be president is too much gratification for the horrendous behaviour and thinking of a lot (not all, by any means) of his voters.

I mean, just looking at gun control and same sex marriage as two issues, there's no question for me that Hilary is on the right side of those issues. In fact, I've seen a few tables of issues with each candidates opinion on them listed side by side, and Hilary is always on the right side. Maybe I'm simplifying this too much, but isn't that more important in this particular 2 horse race?
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I hated voting today. Probably my least favorite day as an American.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to participate in any discussion about politics and voting in America until Biff drops the mandatory Simpsons reference. 

America what the f**k are you doing? You know the rest of the world gets your president too, right?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: satur8 on Nov 08, 2016, 23:15

I think it's neither naive nor a detriment to youth. It's a strength and a belief that needs to be fought for. If anything, I am a Gen X'er that stands with Millennials. It hurt my heart to vote for Hillary, but my post is pretty detailed on my reasoning. I REALLY wanted to go 3rd Party and I dispise the 'lesser of 2 evils' arguement. Now, I'm not one to buy into the hype...but I've been voting in Presidential Elections since 1992 and this one feels different. Dangerous. So maybe it's not so much the youth as it is personal experience. I can tell you it is NOT normal for the Nazi's and White Supremicists to come out so brazenly as they have this year. Based on this, I felt it was most important to shut down their guy with our heaviest hitter. 

I totally agree with everything you said. Once Bernie lost to Hillary, I knew I'd be holding my nose when I cast my vote. And I did it for primarily the very reasons you already said in this post and the one before. I personally did not care for our 3rd party choices, quite frankly.

Right now as I'm watching the results trickle in, I'm sick to my stomach.

Other elections had me fit to be tied, but this is an entirely different beast all together.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Skyscraper on Nov 09, 2016, 03:39

America what the f**k are you doing? You know the rest of the world gets your president too, right?

Fuck dude, no words. I don't even know anymore..... :(
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Non college educated white men.

.. I...

.. College isn't where you should learn respect for your fellow man and woman.

This is quite unbelievable.

Canada's immigration website has crashed.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Nov 09, 2016, 04:19

Non college educated white men.
The crazy thing is, that demographic historically leans democrat.

That's what I would have thought.
So what was in Trumps message that swayed them the other way? I really don't understand it.

^I actually read an interesting article on that. Funnily enough it was retweeted by Marcus Lyall. Saying it was relevant to Brexit.

"Why Trump Voters Are Not Idiots": https://medium.com/@Chris_arnade/trump-politics-and-option-pricing-or-why-trump-voters-are-not-idiots-1e364a4ed940#.dv7cgwa19
Last Edit: Nov 09, 2016, 04:42 by WhiteNoise

Except that a lot of Bernie voters ended up voting Trump because he still represented a change in the system.