Superstar DJs, Here We Go!

Chemical Bros. Africa

Started by Joslyn, Dec 30, 2016, 16:56

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.discogs.com/Chemical-Bros-Africa/release/178860

Can anyone confirmed the authenticity of this release? I bought it recently. It's a single sided, white label with a stamp 'Chemical Bros. Africa'. It is a version of It Began In Afrika. It's very similar to EBW 5 but is 9:50 long and it's missing the acid, siren break which starts around 6:20 in EBW5.
There are a couple of this record for sale on Discogs, strangly most of them cheap from the Netherlands. This looks like heavy bootlegging to me. I bought it for €5 in the Netherlands aswell which looks expensive seeing other prices.

But I do remember that Ed confirmed an early version of IBIA which sounded different. Now you can debate on how different the record sounds but imo it has the same amount of difference as Guitar tuned to D has compared to Surface to air.

Anyone else in possesion of this CHEM02 record and your thoughts about it?

The longest version i have is the 8:41min version from CHEMSD12
no idea, no idea

Well, I do have a version of about 9:47 mins length. It starts off with a 35 sec. "Africa"sample intro. I skipped through it and it does seem to not have that synth break as well. At 4:47 there is a different break, though, with a 'deep' synth sound every 8 bars. Maybe it's a demo version.

I got this one once in an EBW package from someone from the forum, I guess, and deleted all the others but this one when Brotherhood came out.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/0dna3d

Btw. You can hear clicking noise right at the end, so it's a rip from a record. Pretty sure it's one of those bootlegs like yours.
Last Edit: Dec 30, 2016, 18:51 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Dec 30, 2016, 18:35

Well, I do have a version of about 9:47 mins length. It starts off with a 35 sec. "Africa"sample intro. I skipped through it and it does seem to not have that synth break as well. At 4:47 there is a different break, though, with a 'deep' synth sound every 8 bars. Maybe it's a demo version.

Pretty sure it's one of those bootlegs like yours.

I think it's a demo version. I'm curious if this release is a promo which has been bootlegged or is it a bootleg all together? And if so, what's the original source?

It seems pretty legit to me, to be honest. It sounds as chemical as it can be. You can even hear some instruments/ samples being played 'solo-ish' which you can't really achieve with record material just mixed into a re-edit, in my opinion.
Maybe someone who knew a DJ, who got a copy of that promo version, borrowed it and cut a couple of bootlegs :)
Last Edit: Dec 30, 2016, 19:26 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I got this one once in an EBW package from someone from the forum, I guess, and deleted all the others but this one when Brotherhood came out.
Is this the only one that's different?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/0dna3d
Thanks for this. Is there a higher quality rip than 165kbps out there i wonder?

Btw. You can hear clicking noise right at the end, so it's a rip from a record.
The unmistakable crackle of vinyl. Although the track seems to skip around 1.11, 1.46, and 7.11, and they almost sound like CDr skips. Or do my ears deceive me?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Dec 30, 2016, 20:45

Is this the only one that's different?
I'm not sure right now. Maybe I still have that package or files stored somewhere else. I'll have a look next year :D
Quote from: Skyscraper on Dec 30, 2016, 20:45

Thanks for this. Is there a higher quality rip than 165kbps out there i wonder?

The unmistakable crackle of vinyl. Although the track seems to skip around 1.11, 1.46, and 7.11, and they almost sound like CDr skips. Or do my ears deceive me?
This is the file as I got it back then (around 2005). You do hear right. There are some hickups here and there. Perhaps its quality deteriorated over time, maybe due to lots of file moving and stuff.
But I'm sure if Joslyn is able to make a rip there might be, wink wink ;)
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Dec 31, 2016, 11:14

But I'm sure if Joslyn is able to make a rip there might be, wink wink ;)

My laptop died recently. I'm getting a new one in februari. You'll have to be patient. :)

can't wait that long  >:D
no idea, no idea