I Wanna Go Where No One Goes

Orbital

Started by Ben_j, Jan 31, 2017, 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 21, 2022, 03:49

My cousin used to be in the Mediaeval Baebes! One of the founding members.
That could have been a very cool little connection.

I know them from the Victoria soundtrack. Wonder how that works out.

no idea, no idea

not thrilled about the sleaford mods collab, but excited for a new album. wasn't expecting an anniversary celebration and a new album back to back!

there's a special bluray edition with 5.1 and atomos mixes. it's apparently only available by pre-order so if that's something that interests you jump on it. https://www.thesdeshop.com/collections/orbital/products/orbital-optical-delusion-limited-edition-sde-exclusive-blu-ray-audio

Saw someone on Twitter saying that the Sleaford Mods collab sounds like something Super Hans from Peep Show would play.
"I'm fucking allergic to feathers, you cunts"

Kinda digging the Sleaford Mods feature. I also ended up a big fan of 'Head And Shoulders' after being a little hesitant to begin with.
I think Sleaford is just such a unique vibe to work with, I find it really interesting how different producers build their sound around them. And, let's be honest, the subject material is VERY Orbital right now.

Definitely excited for the rest of the album.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 22, 2022, 18:06

Kinda digging the Sleaford Mods feature. I also ended up a big fan of 'Head And Shoulders' after being a little hesitant to begin with.
I think Sleaford is just such a unique vibe to work with, I find it really interesting how different producers build their sound around them. And, let's be honest, the subject material is VERY Orbital right now.

Definitely excited for the rest of the album.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. But it's unfortunately the opposite. :(

ringa ringa is much more like it! I like the pandemic callback too.

They should have skipped the vocals, somehow this sounds forced and more like a DJ mashing up two things that didn't fit. Korn did a better job on Ring a Ring o'Roses 27 years ago
no idea, no idea

UK Tour announced in case any brits missed it :)
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

An hour of early 00's breaks DJ'd by Orbital as part of their 4-part BBC Radio 1 residency.

BBC Webiste

This is the second episode, out today.

The first episode, called "Influences" can be found on the website...

Here

Someone has also put this first episode on YouTube.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

No one talking about the new album!?

I prefer it to Monsters Exist. Thoroughly enjoying my first listen through.
It feels like clean, honed in Orbital song-writing/production.

Also, for the Dirty Rat non-enjoyers; there's an instrumental on the bonus disc ;)

I'm trying to share this absolutely stunning track that's on the bonus disc... but it is legitimately NOWHERE to be found (or I suddenly am incapable of using the internet, which is possible!)

If anyone can find it, please post to share. It's a beauty.

"Oxygene (featuring Clou) (Extended Version)"

EDIT: I'm trolling. It's a different version of 'Are You Alive?' but with French lyrics. I guess I didn't realise how deeply my soul responds to singing in French compared to English. This version is so good, you guys!

it's alright... then again orbital have never been a studio albums band for me.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Feb 20, 2023, 01:45
I'm trying to share this absolutely stunning track that's on the bonus disc... but it is legitimately NOWHERE to be found (or I suddenly am incapable of using the internet, which is possible!)

If anyone can find it, please post to share. It's a beauty.

"Oxygene (featuring Clou) (Extended Version)"

EDIT: I'm trolling. It's a different version of 'Are You Alive?' but with French lyrics. I guess I didn't realise how deeply my soul responds to singing in French compared to English. This version is so good, you guys!
Somehow forgot they released a new album. Going to check it out.

By the way, could video be using the instrumental or is it just an edit with the vocals suppressed?

Edit: Strike that, I just read your "edit".

By the way, what kind of format do you have with this instrumental on?
There are like two versions on Discogs
https://www.discogs.com/release/26150828-Orbital-Optical-Delusion

And a limited edition with an entire bonus disc full of instrumentals
https://www.discogs.com/release/26150828-Orbital-Optical-Delusion (UK)
https://www.discogs.com/release/26123108-Orbital-Optical-Delusion (Worldwide)

This one? Sounds great!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Feb 20, 2023, 11:14
By the way, what kind of format do you have with this instrumental on?
I found a rip of this version with the bonus CD.
But I also tracked down the three bonus tracks that are on this version.

It's all great! I think this is their best album since The Middle Of Nowhere, personally.
And that track with Clou is just sublime.

Quote from: shakermaker on Feb 20, 2023, 05:27
it's alright... then again orbital have never been a studio albums band for me.
Definitely know what you mean - with the exception of TMON which I do think is an all-round great album journey.

This one is a little less connected, but there's also a lot less filler than I'd usually expect (and for some reason be OK with) on a regular Orbital album.

Did I mention how good Oxygene is?

Quote from: Enjoyed on Feb 20, 2023, 20:35
I found a rip of this version with the bonus CD.
But I also tracked down the three bonus tracks that are on this version.

So you're saying you have a digital copy of the new album in all its expanded glory with alllll the bonus tracks just sitting on your hard drive?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I've listened to the albums a couple of times now--I dig it. :)

I even started to like Dirty Rat a bit--the track has a "dark synth" sound that is quite fantastic.

Thanks to @Enjoyed for making sure that I gave it a fair shake.

lucky New York and Chicago! particularly New York!

mar 22 Webster hall there is an early show performance of the green album and the brown album, followed by a regular set later that night.

mar 23 they are playing radius in Chicago, I assume a regular set 

I'm making the trek to Chicago to catch them. It's been since 2001 that I've seen them and couldn't pass up the opportunity. Chicago is listed as a "Festival Set". My guess it will be the same as to what they will be playing at Coachella.

Quote from: mesamm99 on Jan 22, 2024, 21:33
I'm making the trek to Chicago to catch them. It's been since 2001 that I've seen them and couldn't pass up the opportunity.
excellent! have fun it will be a blast

Quote from: mesamm99 on Jan 22, 2024, 21:33
Chicago is listed as a "Festival Set". My guess it will be the same as to what they will be playing at Coachella.
hopefully longer. I'll be surprised if Coachella gives them more than 50 minutes.