Where Do I Begin?

Orbital

Started by Ben_j, Jan 31, 2017, 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Csar on Aug 16, 2018, 21:21

Fuck, I did it again, I fucked up your post, Noisey. Can we move the fucking "modify" button somewhere else, please? Damn it.... Sitting here oozing embarrassment. I'm sorry.
Did you learn nothing from Uncle Ben?! With great power comes great responsibility!!

I got it back - I still had an un-refreshed tab open of the post.

Quote from: Csar on Aug 16, 2018, 21:21

And produced with Steve Dub.
The wording of the description is weird to say the least, but I think we're getting a PHUK (Steve Dub Remix) on top of this.
Last Edit: Aug 16, 2018, 22:27 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 16, 2018, 22:10

Did you learn nothing from Uncle Ben?! With great power comes great responsibility!!

I got it back - I still had an un-refreshed tab open of the post.
Maybe I was too busy paying attention to auntie in the last installment.. Glad you were able to get it back that way. Should call you WiseNoise from now on ;)

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 16, 2018, 22:10

The wording of the description is weird to say the least, but I think we're getting a PHUK (Steve Dub Remix) on top of this.
So it was not entirely my comprehension skills. I wasn't aware Steve produced music himself (although it's not that surprising given his background as an sound engineer).
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

He actually has quite a few remix credits over the years, you'll find some surprising stuff in the link below. He was responsible for the extended mix of New Order's Singularity, did at least two remixes for Fluke and a mix of Mondo Grosso (Shinichi Osawa)'s Shinin, before Shinichi ever covered Star Guitar himself, and most weirdly, helped produce "Out of Control" by The Sunshine Underground, along with frequent Chems collaborator Seggs - and the song has absolutely nothing else to do with the Chems!

https://www.discogs.com/artist/45017-Steve-Dub?filter_anv=0&subtype=Remix&type=Credits

Steve Jerk Chicken Dub?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 16, 2018, 21:02

I love Orbital so much. Here they come and improve on their lead single P.H.U.K. with an alternate mix "P.H.U.K.U." (Please Help United Kingdom, Urgent). Which is featuring on a real proper upcoming single release alongside another remix by the one and only Steve Dub!

https://soundcloud.com/mixmag-1/premiere-orbital-phuku

Oh this is real good. <3

Orbital interviewed on BBC 6 Music Here. At 1hr 30 mins.
New Track "There Will Come A Time" with prof. Brian Cox is cheerful. He talks about how our atoms will carry no memories, no knowledge, how the sun will eventually cease to shine...Ultimately nothing will survive. Then asks "How does that make you feel?". Oh great Brian, thanks very much!

They talk about Theresa May "she's not a monster, she's an android!". Incidentally Enjoyed if you're reading this, some people have been calling her the Maybot for a while now (not the Theresa Bot). Just keeping you up to date on the lingo!

There's a bit of a cringe bit when they're asked how they collaborate/write their music. Because of course it's mostly Paul. I'm not sure I like the new single, The End Is Nigh. Hopefully some of the other stuff on the album will be better (like PHUK/PHUKU). 
IT'S MORNING TIME!

orbital are in the live room today at lauren laverne's show on 6music (which aires right now)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000c8w
no idea, no idea

Fantastic album til the weak ending. I like The End is Nigh, but it's oddly placed and a step below how strong the rest of the album is (tracks 1-7 are really really good) and There Will Come a Time is just... disappointingly cheesy. The speech is a letdown, it tackles too much with too great certainty - if Brian said a lot less, he'd be saying a lot more, let's put it that way. Are We Here? makes me more inspired and awestruck about the universe / man's place in it and it barely has to say anything. I like the instrumental a lot more, but it also seems to end just a little too soon.

Enough negative - this album is fantastic. Monsters Exist and The Raid are fantastic dark electronic post-rock monsters, and they trade back and forth with the manic energy of Hoo Hoo Ha Ha and PHUK perfectly for the A-side. Tiny Foldable Cities, like Monsters Exist, sings like few other Orbital songs do, and brings the A-side to a really fitting close. Buried Deep Within / Vision OnE make for two really cool deep album cuts to carry it to the ending that should be just a bit better - Vision OnE in particular should be phenomenal live. The whole album is overwhelmingly synthy in a way Orbital hasn't been since their 2012 live sets and it's fantastic - I love the level of modulation on every detail across every song. And the newfound intricacy of drum pattern programming they're doing is great - it's enough to make sure the music stands up to modern cuts without sounding outdated. This album is a lot more mature than Wonky and feels like an even better extension of their sound than it.

The plethora of bonus tracks are fantastic too. Many of them could have been included on the album itself with no complaint from me. Kaiju, Fun With The System (literally this might be one of my favorite Orbital tracks of all time), Dressing up in Other People's Clothes and To Dream Again are all absolutely incredible tracks and I'm unbelievably shocked they're "just bonus tracks." They all absolutely deserve to be put out on their own companion EP or a few (like Kaiju and Analog Test) released as b-sides to existing singles. I'll probably end up making my own version of the album to flesh out the final half a bit better and include these tracks because the music on "CD2" is so unbelievably good.

All in all, even with the album being a bit flawed IMO I'm in love with the sound of this era of Orbital, they just seem so into it on every level, studio and live, and every bit sounds like Orbital, and how Orbital should sound in 2018. Orbital is back and it's like they never left.
Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 20:08 by WhiteNoise

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Sep 14, 2018, 19:39

Fantastic album til the weak ending. I like The End is Nigh, but it's oddly placed and a step below how strong the rest of the album is (tracks 1-7 are really really good) and There Will Come a Time is just... disappointingly cheesy. The speech is a letdown, it tackles too much with too great certainty - if Brian said a lot less, he'd be saying a lot more, let's put it that way. Are We Here? makes me more inspired and awestruck about the universe / man's place in it and it barely has to say anything. I like the instrumental a lot more, but it also seems to end just a little too soon.

I am loving the album. It's almost like a double album. But I actually prefer the instrumental of There Will Come A Time as well. It lets you really focus on the music and it feels more of an emotional ending. I also prefer P.H.U.K.U. over P.H.U.K. Shame it wasn't also included. It is nice that they gave a ton of bonus tracks, so simply make your own version of the album. TAH-DAH! All the bonus tracks are great, especially Dressing Up In Other People's Clothes and To Dream Again. I am in the midst of making my own playlist.

The HMV UK exclusive includes a third bonus disc with Copenhagen, Kinetic 2017, To Dream Again (Reoccurring Mix), and alternate version of Where Is It Going? (Live Style Mix) that is different from the version on the Where Is It Going? single.

Wonky is actually my favorite album. Fight me. Snivilisation and In Sides make up my top 3. But Monsters Exist is fighting its way into the top 3. It is that good.

Too bad Mixmag absolutely butchered their release day live performance that broadcasted on Facebook earlier. I hope Mixmag can somehow salvage it and post it on YouTube because it was an awesome show.  The brothers genuinely look happy together. You could feel the love between them and the crowd. But man did Mixmag f--k it up. Fire the sound guy.

In a live fan Q&A back in December 2017, Paul Hartnoll also said they plan to drop another new album in 2019 while also celebrating their 30th anniversary. So it seems we have lots of Orbital to come.

It isn't live any more but it is there on FB.

https://twitter.com/Mixmag/status/1040642190429614080
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: neorev on Sep 14, 2018, 20:28

Wonky is actually my favorite album. Fight me. Snivilisation and In Sides make up my top 3. But Monsters Exist is fighting its way into the top 3. It is that good.
Will join you in fighting anyone who says Wonky isn't a good album either, I love it - my complaint was mainly that it doesn't sound like Orbital quite as much as Monsters Exist does. The "dubstep" parts of it felt a little awkward yto me (though Distractions is absolute fire and I can't believe they never played it live) whereas all the new stuff Orbital does on Monsters Exist just sound like a natural extension.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 14, 2018, 20:45

It isn't live any more but it is there on FB.

https://twitter.com/Mixmag/status/1040642190429614080
Despite the FX returns being mixed absurdly too high (which eh, sounds cool in of itself but does NOT make for a smooth sounding mix) I love this set so much. Orbital is having fun with their gear and they're improvising so much more than it feels like they ever did. So much synth tweaking.

This is almost cinematic-esque sounding. Can't wait to listen to the entire album.

Vision OnE gives me the chills. That melody is pure gold.

I replayed it at least 10 times last night.
Last Edit: Sep 15, 2018, 07:28 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

For those that didn't know, Analog Test Oct 16 off the bonus discs is a callback to one of Orbital's earliest b-sides, Analog Test Feb '90 on the Midnight/Choice single:

Watching their interview on Facebook right now.

Live dates in December in the US. Brooklyn and LA so far. Possibly 1 or two others...

Haven't listened to the album yet because I suck and have been busy and want to dedicate the full amount of uninterrupted time to listen. Hopefully this afternoon after my run. Very excited though!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Sep 18, 2018, 20:44

Haven't listened to the album yet because I suck and have been busy and want to dedicate the full amount of uninterrupted time to listen. Hopefully this afternoon after my run. Very excited though!
All I gonna say is: Just do it!

Suprised nobody mentioned this wonderful breaks version of PHUK(U) yet. The beat pattern could have a bit more variations but other than that it's amazing.

— Aurora (The Seed)

I've still yet to listen to it. It got delivered the day I went on holiday so will have to wait until next week to listen to it. That's if the package at my front door hasn't been stolen by a neighbour.