Just Get Yourself High

Orbital

Started by Ben_j, Jan 31, 2017, 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Csar on Sep 18, 2018, 21:12

Suprised nobody mentioned this wonderful breaks version of PHUK(U) yet.

Are you calling Whitenoise Nobody?

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 16, 2018, 21:02

I love Orbital so much. Here they come and improve on their lead single P.H.U.K. with an alternate mix "P.H.U.K.U." (Please Help United Kingdom, Urgent). Which is featuring on a real proper upcoming single release alongside another remix by the one and only Steve Dub!

https://soundcloud.com/mixmag-1/premiere-orbital-phuku

Ive only listened to the album once, but so far nothing gives me more enjoyment than P.H.U.K.U. - which isn't on the album.

Here's Orbital mentioning the third disc that Neorev mentioned above (nice to see Phil looking happy):

https://twitter.com/orbitalband/status/1042033902871867395
Oh emojis = didn't embed.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 18, 2018, 22:57

Are you calling Whitenoise Nobody?

And Neorev, like totally! No, maybe I should consult a doctor on early stage dementia. Geez.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

They're finally coming back to the states!

12/4/2018 - Brooklyn Steel, New York
12/6/2018 - The Midway SF, San Francisco
12/8/2018 - The Belasco, Los Angeles

and not coming to Chicago :'(

(may still try to make it out to one of these - all three are full headline shows, not festival sets)
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Oct 16, 2018, 17:40

They're finally coming back to the states!

12/4/2018 - Brooklyn Steel, New York
12/6/2018 - The Midway SF, San Francisco
12/8/2018 - The Belasco, Los Angeles

and not coming to Chicago :'(

(may still try to make it out to one of these - all three are full headline shows, not festival sets)

San Francisco with Poots and me? (assuming funds are looking OK)
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

i would be down for the 6th, might have to fly in day of and leave day after  though
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 17, 2018, 04:12

San Francisco with Poots and me? (assuming funds are looking OK)
*running calculations*

Quote from: androidgeoff on Oct 17, 2018, 05:30

i would be down for the 6th, might have to fly in day of and leave day after  though
Quote from: WhiteNoise on Oct 17, 2018, 06:14

*running calculations*

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

This came up on my youtube feed if you guys haven't seen it already, watch before it gets torn down:

...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Monster of a show. Impact > PHUK > Wonky is unbelievable, I cannot overstate how efficient that sequence is at driving you into an absolute 110% raving frenzy.

That's me in the Way Out shirt at 28:33 and 59:59 losing my dignity on BBC TV. Loved hearing The End is Nigh for the very first time live, getting to hear Belfast, in Belfast, and getting the Doctor encore which wasn't on the printed setlist. Paul snuck out side of stage to check out the crowd during changeover. I caught his eye and waved, and he gave a thumbs up! Not shown in this video was a huge tech breakdown between Wonky and Tiny Foldable Cities - I shouted "play Little Fluffy Clouds" during that.

Funny story - my face was plastered all over the giant screens to the side of stage too, which made me a minor celebrity at the end of the festival. Two local brothers recognized me on the way out of the fest and insisted I go out drinking with them after they found out I was travelling alone. Couldn't say no to that. Turned out to be fantastic people along with the friends they were with - talked with one of them about U2 for a solid hour, music and American culture with the rest of them for a long time - and got quite a few free drinks after we got on so well. Unfortunately I literally hadn't eaten anything since lunch so the 6 pints I had took the toll of 20, and to make a long story short - I've absolutely no memory of how I got back to the hostel, and absolutely no clue where in Belfast my glasses still are.

Beck, Manic Street Preachers, Courtney Barnett and Public Service Broadcasting were on before Orbital too, just a killer line up. My only regret is not snagging one of the lineup t-shirts!

If anyone comes to the SF show and needs a place to crash, let me know.

Also, I am more than likely going to be headed down to the LA show 2 days later. So I'll be hitting up 2/3 of the Orbital shows in the U.S. for this tour. HA.

Much love.

<3

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Oct 18, 2018, 07:01

That's me in the Way Out shirt at 28:33 and 59:59 losing my dignity on BBC TV.
Losing your dignity? Nope, you did what you were supposed to do and many of the selfie-smaprtphone generation have forgotten: Dance and have fun! The only one who lost his dignity that night is the yawning guy who comes in at min 59:50 in the lower right-hand corner!

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Oct 18, 2018, 07:01

Funny story - my face was plastered all over the giant screens to the side of stage too, which made me a minor celebrity at the end of the festival. Two local brothers recognized me on the way out of the fest and insisted I go out drinking with them after they found out I was travelling alone. Couldn't say no to that. Turned out to be fantastic people along with the friends they were with - talked with one of them about U2 for a solid hour, music and American culture with the rest of them for a long time - and got quite a few free drinks after we got on so well. Unfortunately I literally hadn't eaten anything since lunch so the 6 pints I had took the toll of 20, and to make a long story short - I've absolutely no memory of how I got back to the hostel, and absolutely no clue where in Belfast my glasses still are.
Awesome story! Things like these are just the cherry on top of those experiences! Nothing better than unexpectedly meeting nice people like at the Chems gig in Gelsenkirchen with the forum gang and some strangers (or like recently, when I met an Texan American in our neighborhood while walking my sisters dog and we talked for almost half an hour) that make it all even more memorable.

Btw, just spotted you at 16:14 too :D

PPS: the only bad thing about this gig is Paul wearing a (Star Trek) Disco(very) shirt because that show is just an utter disappointment (oh, and that "Haven is a place" part is a bit out of place imo).
Last Edit: Oct 18, 2018, 09:54 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Mr Madpooter, I need a place 2 stay

Got tix to both!
Last Edit: Oct 20, 2018, 01:48 by androidgeoff

Got tickets for both shows. :D :D :D

@geoff--of course.

Last Edit: Oct 20, 2018, 04:58 by MadPooter

Paul gives a studio tour:

Nevermind the synths. Pay attention to the whiteboard on the wall - there's notes on their live set and for their next album Orbital 30, which they've been talking about recently. It's planned to be a 30th anniversary compilation of new "live style" versions of all their classic tracks, and remixes from their contemporaries...

...listed on that board are Underworld, Aphex Twin, Leftfield, The Chemical Brothers, Utah Saints, The Prodigy, and (more of a newcomer) Bicep. Edit: and David Holmes and Vince Clarke

It's a fucking good time to be an Orbital fan.
Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018, 06:58 by WhiteNoise

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Dec 04, 2018, 03:18
and (more of a newcomer) Bicep

Bicep was the best 2017 album for me. Absolutely terrific. Just listen (watch the video!) to this track:

That video just hits you with the memories of 90's raves
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Quote from: kosek on Dec 04, 2018, 08:31

Bicep was the best 2017 album for me. Absolutely terrific.
I didn't get it.
"Just" was probably my fave dance/electronic track of 2015*. I posted it more than once in the early pages of "Now Playing" on this here 'new' forum (reply #2 and #3 on page 1!). Then I saw great reviews for the album and I got excited. Then I heard the album and... fell asleep. Wanted it to be good. Didn't dislike it, just didn't feel inspired to listen to it more than a couple of times. Maybe I'll try it again some time.

*Chemical Brothers aside
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Any NYers seeing the show tonight? Give us a revieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew