For That Beautiful Feeling

Leftfield

Started by Enjoyed, Feb 20, 2017, 15:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I really like TIWWD. Like Pooter said, Accumulator is a banger, Full Way Round, Pulse, Machines Like Me and This Is What We Do are some of my favourites too. The other tracks I could only describe to be filler-ish, so they don't stand out to me as much as I would like them to.

Lucky to get to listen to this album at my workplace, it makes my shifts more enjoyable than they should be!
"I'm fucking allergic to feathers, you cunts"

I'm still waiting to see if my local store can track it down (they did not have it on release day, despite my excited trip to go pick it up!)

May have to pick up a copy in fair old England over the holidays.
Definitely excited to give it all a listen!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Enjoying the album more after a couple of listens.

Rapture 16 and Heart and Soul have quite a bit of classic Leftfield in those tracks.

Quote from: cowboy on Dec 10, 2022, 16:10
The other tracks I could only describe to be filler-ish, so they don't stand out to me as much as I would like them to.

I have been mistaken. I am now in awe of the whole album.

Except Rapture 16, though. That one I'm still hesitant on if I actually fully enjoy it or not.

UPDATE: Nevermind. I do in fact like it LOL
Last Edit: Dec 28, 2022, 01:07 by cowboy

Was pretty enjoyable. Some great sound on this album. I do think it lacks some of the magic that made them legendary, but I still recommend. I'm totally there to support them if they take this album on tour and make the trek back to the States.  

If anything, it got me interested in giving  'Alternative Light Source' another shot.

Fun to hear them with Earl Sixteen again!

I love it. it's totally renewed my interest in them. God why don't they come to the US. c'mon Goldenvoice.

For starters, I will say (as a compliment): I don't skip any tracks on the album. Just let it play.

Happy to get that "chunky" Leftfield production kicking in from the start. I would argue there are a number of elements on the album that could make this a pseudo "Leftism 2".
The return of Earl 16, as Bosco mentioned. There's trumpet on Machines Like Us (as there was on Melt), there's a return to Bulgarian Choir samples (as there was on Song of Life - see the Samples & Trainspotting thread for more on this). The pounding hit of Accumulator reminds me of the "cut for life" version of Song of Life (Cut For life was on the triple vinyl version of Leftism), and back to Track 1, the production/groove reminds me of Inspection (Check one).

The argument against this being "Leftism 2"? That roundly boils down to: the tunes -are they as good? I could probably hum or sing (badly) most of the tracks on Leftism. But this album? Not so much. As much as I love the full-on hit of Accumulator (probably the best track) I couldn't sing it to you.

It's all about those hooks/melodies/tunes. There aren't enough strong ones here to make this album a classic. But I like the overall production.

Thoughts on each track:

Track 1: TIWWD chunky sounding. Hints of Check One about the production/groove.
Track 2: Full Way Round: youthful rebelliousness/arrogance of Grian Chatten is a plus. Production: gritty but forgettable.
Track 3: Making A Difference. Lemn Sissay poet/rap. Vocally could almost be Orbital. Tune? Meh.
Track 4: City of Synths. "Rhubarb and Custard" bass synth. Slow beat. Moody "soundtrack-y" top line. But forgettable tune.
Tracl 5: Pulse.  Menacing synth line. That's about it. 
Track 6: Machines Like Us: friendly computer singing to us. Upbeat, quirky, light. Muted trumpet. Sinister "we're taking over" towards the end. I like this track. Could we have just a bit more of a song?
Track 7: Rapture 16: Earl 16 returns. Good but not as good as Release The Pressure. Nice production. Really nice.
Track 8: Heart and Soul. Bulgarian vocal samples, quirky bass synth. Dubby reverb. Middle eastern horn. A bit cluttered/piecemeal. Is there a strong hook? Not quite.
Track 9: Accumulator. A banger; almost a Leftfield "EBW". The most urgent thing here. Imagine if it had a stronger melodic hook!
Track 10: Come On. Hip hop style slow speed and menace. But it doesn't do much.
Track 11: Power of Listening. Upbeat, funky bass synth. Jazzy space keys on top. A fun and freaky-deaky track that wigs out a bit and gets the foot tapping/head nodding.

Overall I like that this album exists, I really like that Leftfield production feel (yes it's worth repeating this point). I wonder if collabrations with some other tune-smiths could have taken this to Grade-A level.

Incidentally, Neil has put together a half-hour mix of tunes for 6-Music, a back-to-the-90s special. Every track a banger. Couldn't he have done an hour? Link.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jan 13, 2023, 00:05
It's all about those hooks/melodies/tunes. There aren't enough strong ones here to make this album a classic. But I like the overall production.

Overall I like that this album exists, I really like that Leftfield production feel (yes it's worth repeating this point). I wonder if collabrations with some other tune-smiths could have taken this to Grade-A level.

Thank you for fleshing it out a bit, and I agree for the most part.

I actually think "Making a Difference" had the most potential, and yet, was left unfulfilled. It's still my favorite track on the album! It has that very catchy bass line and goes into its downshifted bridge with not much payoff. Frickin' shift that thing to something else, and MAKE A DIFFERENCE! How about catch your listener off guard and change it to a drum and bass outro or something crazy like that. A great template for this track is "Don't Think" by The Chems.

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 16, 2023, 09:06
Thank you for fleshing it out a bit, and I agree for the most part.

I actually think "Making a Difference" had the most potential, and yet, was left unfulfilled. It's still my favorite track on the album! It has that very catchy bass line and goes into its downshifted bridge with not much payoff. Frickin' shift that thing to something else, and MAKE A DIFFERENCE! How about catch your listener off guard and change it to a drum and bass outro or something crazy like that. A great template for this track is "Don't Think" by The Chems.

The spoken word part reminded me of "Panninaro", by Pet Shop Boys.
Just get yourself high.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Feb 17, 2023, 12:15
RSD23

https://twitter.com/Leftfield/status/1626280308621340675
Love the sounds of this.

Would probably queue up in the early hours of the morning for it if it wasn't a UK exclusive.
Shame.

Heard they will be at Glastonbury, hopefully some other dates too :) 
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Friend notified me about the Leftfield RSD release, as if I don't have enough RSD records to get : P

Quote from: cowboy on Feb 28, 2023, 23:19
Friend notified me about the Leftfield RSD release, as if I don't have enough RSD records to get : P

Did they notify you of the price as well? I believe it's about £30.
Which isn't a surprise when you consider that this limited 12" they put out in December was £20 (and now re-selling for £30+).
IT'S MORNING TIME!

heard they will be at glastonbury if anyone else is going :) 
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on May 08, 2023, 20:17
If anyone is aware of a digital rip of this album, please advise.

Leftfield seriously need to release Version Excursion digitally because I'm liking this more than the album. If only some of the album tracks and their dub mixes were combined or even swapped altogether, it would've been an even better album. 

I am dying to hear this.