What's this do? Where Do I Begin?

Fatboy Slim

Started by Ben_j, Mar 10, 2017, 14:55

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MadPooter on Mar 25, 2022, 21:26

Seems like that album has largely been scrubbed from the Internetz (which makes me sad because I no longer have a copy of it).

Dude. I have my 192 (shhhhh) rip of the CD. Listen to it regularly. Happy to share!

There's also a flac rip I could point you in the right direction of...
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: MadPooter on Mar 25, 2022, 21:26

I had to search through the dregs of YouTube to find a (less-than-quality) stream of Fatboy Slim's Big Beach Boutique I.

Seems like that album has largely been scrubbed from the Internetz (which makes me sad because I no longer have a copy of it).

I'm pleased to see Norman continuing to hit it behind the decks, though. Gonna catch him in SF next month. :)

Well, I think, that it's because of sample/track licences, etc.
That's what makes all of those compilations, etc really rare nowadays :/
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: JRSZ on Mar 26, 2022, 19:07

Well, I think, that it's because of sample/track licences, etc.
That's what makes all of those compilations, etc really rare nowadays :/

You're absolutely correct, sadly.

As part of 6 Music Goes Back the the 90's we're putting a spin on Steve Lamacq's 6 Music Album Club, by asking artists to mix up a seminal record of theirs from that time. Our guests can be as creative as they like with their own work - free to change up the order, tempos and structure of the album. It's a new piece of work made from their own classic album.

Today, Fatboy Slim has mixed up his 1998 classic album 'You've Come a Long Way, Baby', which celebrates it's 25th anniversary this year. Hitting number one in the UK Albums Chart, the album generated four singles: "The Rockafeller Skank", "Gangster Tripping", "Praise You", and "Right Here, Right Now" - becoming a seminal dance music record of it's time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001gvr7
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 22, 2023, 17:16
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001gvr7

I've been meaning to post this but you beat me to it. Essential listening for hardcore Fatboy fans, complete with a Greta Thunberg edit of Right Here Right Now.

Fatboy chucks in a couple of Rolling Stones tracks too. One of which he officially remixed back in 2003. I sometimes wonder if that's where the Chems got the parts from for the SFTD bits in the live version of TPPR. Maybe they just picked up the phone and went: NORM!

There are also reworked versions of a couple of other albums that may interest Chems fans:

Coldcut

Hot Chip
Yea though I walk through the valley and shadow of death
every day of my life,
I fear no evil for The Lord is with me.

10/10 will listen again.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jan 22, 2023, 18:53
Fatboy chucks in a couple of Rolling Stones tracks too. One of which he officially remixed back in 2003. I sometimes wonder if that's where the Chems got the parts from for the SFTD bits in the live version of TPPR. Maybe they just picked up the phone and went: NORM!
You think? I don't know if that's so easy. And on top of this, we all know how strict the Stones (or the Management) are when using samples from their music => Bitter Sweet Symphony anyone?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 23, 2023, 19:01
You think? I don't know if that's so easy. And on top of this, we all know how strict the Stones (or the Management) are when using samples from their music => Bitter Sweet Symphony anyone?
Yeah they are strict but that hasn't stopped the Chems using bits of "Sympathy" in the live Reel.
If you were a professonal remixer/producer like Fatboy, would you quietly keep the parts sent to you by the artists you remixed or would you be a good boy and delete them?
I noticed Skream put a picture on Instagram a while ago of the DVDr of the parts he was sent for La Roux's In For The Kill. So he still has those. But yes, I know the Stones are a bit different...
Yea though I walk through the valley and shadow of death
every day of my life,
I fear no evil for The Lord is with me.