Life Is Sweet

why is ed such as big remainer

Started by Goldmaster, Mar 30, 2017, 12:22

Previous topic - Next topic
ok so dont Slawter me because of involving politics. but on twitter ed seams to be such as big remainer for the uk to stay in the eu. however im more of a brexit person. however yesterday i tweated him this. yet i got a reply saying your a n#b mate. which i found very funny as hes never tweeted me before and then he deleted the tweet. so what is eds reasons for staying with the eu.
tom, ed can i meet you? please?

It's a bit tricky for anyone else to speak on his behalf isn't it?
I've seen him ask the question: "What are the good things about leaving?" So I'm tempted to ask you as a pro-Brexit person what you think is good about Brexit.

The one "silver lining" I was hoping for was a drop in rents/house prices, but recent articles suggest that the price rises will simply slow down, not fall. Fishermen in the English channel say that France has an unfair quota compared to them, and maybe that's true. I'm not an expert on fishing but I get the impression that the UK's overall fishing quota is ok - i.e up around Scotland their quota makes up for the smaller quota in the English channel. But please correct me if I have this wrong.

The EU has brought (imposed?) some laws - e.g clean air rules, protection of workers rights, and there's the European Court of Human Rights. But I think those are all good things. Other than spurious arguments about the shape of bananas, I don't know what bad laws have been imposed on the UK by the EU. Again I would be curious to hear from a Brexiter if there *are* bad laws imposed on the UK. Also the UK I believe, is/was one of the countries with the most influence on EU laws. 

Trading with the EU will be more difficult. Individual arrangements will have to be made with each country. Both the physical import and export of goods will become trickier (mounds of paperwork for lorry drivers travelling through Europe). See the tweet further below. Foreign firms (not just manufacturing but financial institutions etc) will be less likely to locate in the UK due to it's lack of access to the single market, and thus the economy will probably shrink - perhaps we'll get another recession.

I was listening to a phone-in show on the radio yesterday  which also asked "what are the good things about Brexit?" An American guy said he would be able to import cheap Xmas trees from the USA. And some people said fish *might* be cheaper (but if Scotland leaves as a result of Article 50, they take 60% of the fishing with them). And that was about it. I genuinely want to know that there are GOOD THINGS that wil come out of Brexit. Please make me feel better with good news!

https://twitter.com/joesarling/status/846377417744797703
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: goldmaster on Mar 30, 2017, 12:22
ok so dont Slawter me because of involving politics. but on twitter ed seams to be such as big remainer for the uk to stay in the eu. however im more of a brexit person. however yesterday i
tweated him this. yet i got a reply saying your a n#b mate. which i found very funny as hes never tweeted me before and then he deleted the tweet. so what is eds reasons for staying with the eu.

goldmaster - Ignoring the fact that we are fans of Ed, let's look at some bullet points as if we weren't:

-You've attacked a celebrity on their twitter account essentially telling them to shut up and play some tunes.

-You've attacked their position for lack of reasons while failing to cite your own.

- You apparently believe embracing change for the sake of change is a valid argument for this major international shakeup, which was sadly rooted in xenophopia and propoganda. Most intellectual and fact gathering sources would show you are on the wrong side of history.

- You then came to said celebrity's fan boards and bitched about him without a coherent thought in your rant. Your grammar is terrible and your lack of spellcheck highlights your immaturity.

Despite my age (mid-40s), I tend to side with the youth on most issues and believe the voice of millennials needs to be respected. However, that respect needs to be earned with a valid attempt at communication and a reasonable amount of research or understanding of a subject. There is nothing about your post that deserves respect. You even misspelled the word 'tweeted' as 'tweated', which is the primary subject of your post. Perhaps you need to mature a bit, read a book or two, and carefully consider your thoughts before attacking people for their political views and then asking others to back you.
Last Edit: Mar 31, 2017, 12:56 by satur8
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 30, 2017, 13:30

But I think those are all good things. Other than spurious arguments about the shape of bananas, I don't know what bad laws have been imposed on the UK by the EU.
The bananas thing is a tough myth.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/11/boris-johnson-launches-the-vote-leave-battlebus-in-cornwall
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Mar 31, 2017, 08:50

The bananas thing is a tough myth.

Ha,you googled it! Yes, "spurious argument" was too polite. I should have said: Utter Bollocks.

Good article though. The bit about vacuum cleaners backs up what i was saying about The UK's influence within the EU. I hear the Brexiters saying "we're tired of being told what to do by Brussels"; I want to shout at my TV "The UK is Brussels as much as anyone!". The UK was actively in agreement with those vacuum cleaner regulations. They were not passively told what to do by the EU.

I fear some of this is down to (lack of) communication and education about Europe. I actually think if school kids had been taught more about what the EU does and how it reaches it's decisions (including UK agreement) people wouldn't moan about being told what to do by Europe. It's a cooperative thing!!

I've heard Bexiters say "We've got our country back". But did they ever really lose it?
The only tangible thing I can find the UK getting back is fishing, as I mentioned above. And I do think this one is actually real. If the UK was Iceland (pop: 332k), that might make a big difference. But alas fishing ain't enough by itself. More silver linings needed.

UTTERLY BANANAS:

https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/827452213618372609
IT'S MORNING TIME!