Let Your Heart See the Colours All Around You

Samples & Trainspotting

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Apr 01, 2017, 12:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Whilst we're on the subject of Beatles sampling, Conn6or mentioned the EBW logo coming from George Harrison's Electronic Sound album in this thread. But did anyone mention that the Chems sampled music from that album as well? As per WhoSampled:

The noise at 5.44 on It Doesn't Matter

Is at 19.57 on No Time Or Space:

And it seems Tom Rowlands actually wrote a Forward/essay in the CD booklet when the album was re-released in 2014, as per this article
IT'S MORNING TIME!

You might also be interested in 5:18 on that track ;p
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Quote from: Champiness on May 18, 2019, 15:30

:o Nice spotting!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Champiness on May 18, 2019, 15:30

I don't hear anything familiar.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on May 20, 2019, 07:57

I don't hear anything familiar.
Chemical Beats at around 0:40

Edit
Or

Oh, by the way, perhaps it's common knowledge already but isn't that sound
used in Dig Your Own Hole (title track)
?
Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 13:21 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'm kind of confused, is this thread about samples used by The Chemical Brothers or samples in general?

If it's the second one, I found this while digging around:

The part that begins at 0:30 sounds a lot like Dig Your Own Hole.

Seems the chems sampled more of "Weekend" for the live version! (even went as far to vocode the vocal!)

And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Csar's Sympathy For The Devil spotting in Chemical Spotting reminded me that if this here thing is true/definitive proof about Norwegian Wood...

Quote from: Mrdmus on May 16, 2019, 18:33

Here you go :)

https://soundcloud.com/mooyon/norwegian-brothers
...then the Reel live gives you The Beatles and The Stones. Are The Chems having a bit of a laugh?

Quote from: Hoops on May 20, 2019, 14:15

I'm kind of confused, is this thread about samples used by The Chemical Brothers or samples in general?
I started it as a samples-in-general thing but it has kinda morphed into a Chemical samples thing. Natural bias perhaps. Someone feel free to drag it away from the Chems again.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

anyone ever noticed that the cymbol crash at the end of leave home (sans birds chirping) is in a majority of songs pre-push the button.

@1:03

@1:59

Feel free to add more
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jun 17, 2019, 00:07

anyone ever noticed that the cymbol crash at the end of leave home (sans birds chirping) is in a majority of songs pre-push the button.

Aaaah, this has been discussed here and there 😊

https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,474.msg7925.html#msg7925
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I think we need to identify the type of bird first. Maybe that'll help locate the source. (2023 after bugging a bird watching forum for months, we'll find out it's a common bird in Argentina, then realize it's from an Argentinian psychedelic band.)

Has anyone located the vocal samples used for EOD live?

Quote from: Biff on Jun 17, 2019, 14:13

Has anyone located the vocal samples used for EOD live?
You mean the "I can't take the heartbreak of you leaving me again" bits?
Same source as the "find a friend to spend the weekend" sample on the record.

Jump to 0.22

Incidentally the "tonight it's party time" bit is probably the best known sample on this record, even though the Chems haven't used it. The track has been sampled a LOT in the past, especially the early to mid 90's.

I also wonder if the "well well well" at the begininng may have been inspiration for Armand van Helden's "My My My".

^Scrap that. My My My directly samples a guy called Gary Wright.
The vocals are male (and pitched up)! This has nothing to do with the Chems now. I'm just rambling...

Last Edit: Jun 17, 2019, 14:55 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Awesome, I obviously didn't listen to the sample before. It works so well live. I wonder if there's a studio edit with that additional portion on it, I mean they already had sample clearance (grated it'd probably cost more if that long segment was on there).

Quote from: hstn on May 22, 2019, 19:38

Seems the chems sampled more of "Weekend" for the live version! (even went as far to vocode the vocal!)

Kinda beat ya there Wolkenkrabber ;)

Kinda beat you there HSTN  ;)
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jun 17, 2019, 20:53

Kinda beat you there HSTN  ;)

i meant the live version!! studio i remember from you!

I stumbled across a Chems sample today. I found the counting sample from the proto version of It Began in Afrika. It's from Kat Mandu - Shanghaied. I couldn't find it on YouTube, but if I may direct you towards Spotify....
Last Edit: Jun 24, 2019, 13:05 by Biff