Listen to Your Heart

A word of advice about leaks (no not leeks... Leaks!!)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 01, 2015, 00:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all,

We may not be officially official (like we were with the old forum) but eyes are still on us. So that means the old standards practiced on the old forum will need to be be upheld here. We still have some time before the new album is released so in the meantime please  hold off from posting stuff that has new Chems material in it.  This includes YouTube  links, Dropbox, mega uploads, etc.. This will look good for us in the powers that be's eyes, and will curb drawing unwanted attention to anyone  (or their YouTube channels) individually.

I know this is a very unpopular stance that  results in a lot of complaining the kickback, but please bear with us. If you absolutely positively feel the need to share, please be cool. discreet and keep it off the forum - you never know who is watching!

Thanks! :)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I pinned this thread, if that's ok? Do we want to move that to the BITE sub-forum?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I've got a problem. I posted a video before reading this. I tryed to modify my comment and delete a link, but after save it looks same as it was.
Meow meow meow
Sound sound sound

Quote from: Csar on Jul 01, 2015, 08:07

I pinned this thread, if that's ok? Do we want to move that to the BITE sub-forum?

Absolutely OK! We can move to the Born In The Echoes forum, but thought it might be better served in the Live area for the time being.

Quote from: Mumbo on Jul 01, 2015, 09:18

Many apologies!

No worries, at all!

Quote from: UltimatePelmeni on Jul 01, 2015, 13:12

I've got a problem. I posted a video before reading this. I tryed to modify my comment and delete a link, but after save it looks same as it was.

Hmm. I can take a look. I saw one link to YouTube was posted but the content was removed (on the YouTube channel, most likely by the label?) already so I didn't edit it out of the forum.

Popular opinion says that this is a fan forum site and people who record the live shows are also fans. So its fans sharing chems music with other chem fans. I see no valid argument against this open sharing policy. The old "eyes are on us" or NSA is watching our every move is only meant to generate fear not love and the message for the chems fans has always been "Love is all". People have been recording shows ever since the dawn of tape recorders, even before that during the time of Hindu vedas when information was passed down vocally(in the form of songs etc) generation through generation. Why stop that tradition now? If someone doesn't want to listen to a particular song, all they have to do is ignore. This call to stop leaks sounds like a personal problem of not having self-control. Just saying. Furthermore, Tom and ED themselves have never made it official that they don't want their live music being shared like this! further-furthermore, if the concern is watching them live on youtube,etc will deter someone from going to a chems show is a weak one. Someone is going to see a chems live they will go regardless of watching clips here or there. If anything, it will make them want to see them MORE!!

And I totally respect that opinion.

The goal here is to direct link from the main Chems site. An official unofficial forum maintained by fans for fans. If we just start file sharing and posting stuff that links to unreleased material then we will never get that chance. A lot went into creating this place so we could keep the community together and promote accessibility (through direct linkage) to new fans or lurkers, perhaps even Tom and Ed again. As such, the standards applied to the old forum will need to stand. Look,  you know I love you all and equally, and I'm sorry.  I really am. I hate having this argument and having to justify this position on behalf of others every time a new album is on the horizon. But that is they way it will need to be. If we cannot get linkage, then it may as well be an anything goes type place where word gets back to the powers that be, that  "oh I got a rip of the new track/tracks/album" from that fan forum Chembase. Then it's bye bye linkage, and could result in an end to this place before we've barely had a chance to cultivate it. Worse it gets peoples' YouTube accounts and whatnot shut down. That sucks!

And for the record (and I really loathe  throwing my weight around because it's fucking arrogant, and I'm no better than anyone else :P ) but the band and their close associates have expressed to me personally that they do not want their music shared prematurely.

I would like the linkage from the band website to ours! I have no problem following this forum guidelines of posting new material. I never had any issues before.

I do have a question though. When the new album drops or when the chems official website does link to this forum, are we then able to post the new material? (youtube, dropbox, etc)
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Well then, that's different. If the gods have themselves bestowed their blessings onto you then who am I to interfere? I still think its shit of the bull that fans on a fan forum site can't share sets openly and then discuss them. It even says under our "Live" section.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jul 01, 2015, 21:16

I would like the linkage from the band website to ours! I have no problem following this forum guidelines of posting new material. I never had any issues before.

I do have a question though. When the new album drops or when the chems official website does link to this forum, are we then able to post the new material? (youtube, dropbox, etc)

When the new album drops of course new material (videos of gigs) can be posted with wild abandon along with sharing bootlegs of shows like we've done in the past. It's like, Go is released already so it's not like a cardinal sin to post the video for it or clips of the song from their gig. Just a couple more weeks until the release and all is in the clear.

What is totally off limits is "hey I got an advance copy of the album, here's a Dropbox link, have at it, kthxbye!"

Quote from: chemreact on Jul 01, 2015, 21:17

Well then, that's different. If the gods have themselves bestowed their blessings onto you then who am I to interfere? I still think its shit of the bull that fans on a fan forum site can't share sets openly and then discuss them. It even says under our "Live" section.

I know... I know... :( Hang in there.

My deepest apologies to cats and animal lovers everywhere as I'm seriously killing kittens with the successive posts - but I want to add some clarification since I reached out and asked what the score was on links to footage of live gigs.

Chems management are OK with posting short clips, aka single song clips. That said, the label is its own entity and there is a possibility they could have a different take on this if/when they are aware.

So... Long clips and especially any links to downloads will no doubt piss off the labels and publishers which in turn will make our lives difficult both here and individually if they feel these actions are a nuisance or violation.

Whirly, I think you should ask Universal for a salary or something. You deserve it. Same for the team rebuilding the forum.

Quote from: Mob1 on Jul 25, 2015, 15:39

Whirly, I think you should ask Universal for a salary or something. You deserve it. Same for the team rebuilding the forum.

It ain't no thang, it's a pleasure to be of some help to my favorite band and really, the Chems have the best fans in the world to engage with and work with!

The Chembase team rocks!