Previous topic - Next topic

Next / New Single

Mad As Hell / EBW12
Gotta Keep On (Make Me High)
Eve Of Destruction
something else / previously unknown
Dope Coil [Version]
Free Yourself
Of all the tracks from Born in the Echoes that most foreshadowed their upcoming tunes, never expected Just Bang to be the one. I can really get down to Gotta Keep On Making Me High but Eve of Destruction and Free Yourself feel too much like Tom solo material.

I have a strong feeling they're doing something similar to 1996 and 2004 in the upcoming year, where they toured ahead of their albums and demoed new material, instead of supporting a released / very-soon-to-be released album. Considering they haven't dropped a whole lot of new material and quite a bit of it feels more Tom-solo oriented, but we'll see.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Dec 11, 2017, 11:22

I can really get down to Gotta Keep On Making Me High
Agreed, this is easily my favourite of the three.

but Eve of Destruction...
the 'busy' parts of this track remind me of Inner City's Good Life and Big Fun, although clearly the theme couldn't be more different.
Ignoring my suggestion elsewhere that it's a cover of the Barry Maguire song, thematically it reminds me of Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds (Eve of the war). I believe I bought the 12" Ben Liebrand remix of Eve Of The War "back in the day". And listening to it now at
it actually seems to borrow a bit of Inner City's
(but turns the synths into 'strings'). Coincidence?

I have this image in my head of a musical theatre actress popping up on stage in torn clothing singing "we can't afford the water..." as though this was a new apocalyptic musical that Tom has got involved with. Anyway...the track is a bit frustrating insofar as every time it feels like it's going to take off, it breaks down to the bare bones. Needs a Skream remix.

and Free Yourself...

I like this one, - the cello/strings near the start and the way it takes off later on. But Diane's voice is quite harsh and repetitive. I wonder if it could benefit from being put lower in the mix or having reverb or something added to it. Just to soften things a little bit. She's 83 now btw, I wonder if she knows about this track.
Last Edit: Dec 11, 2017, 15:43 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

To be honest, I ain't that excited by the new snippets I'm hearing. It's the club/dance 4x4 Chem Bros that's not really my favorite side of theirs. Where's the beats?!?!

This all feels like 2002–2003. In a good way.
Eight or over.

Printworks Eve Of Destruction video: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by IFPI".
They don't even need bots do they? Just visit this forum.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Dec 12, 2017, 13:10

Printworks Eve Of Destruction video: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by IFPI".
They don't even need bots do they? Just visit this forum.
Damn, almost all videos were taken down on youtube :/

Quote from: Ben_j on Jan 03, 2018, 10:59

Damn, almost all videos were taken down on youtube :/

I actually did manage to rip the audio from the Printworks Eve Of Destruction video, I loved it that much I didn't want to risk losing what'll probably be the only full video so far :3

I didn't know whether to post it or not because I know y'all are really careful about leaks!
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: hstn on Jan 08, 2018, 23:17

I actually did manage to rip the audio from the Printworks Eve Of Destruction video, I loved it that much I didn't want to risk losing what'll probably be the only full video so far :3

I didn't know whether to post it or not because I know y'all are really careful about leaks!
I don't think there is any trouble because it's a) a non-commercial live recording and b) not yet officially a Chems tune. Rules about leaks should not apply here.
Last Edit: Jan 09, 2018, 16:49 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Does anyone have recordings of the removed Youtube videos ?

Quote from: Ben_j on Mar 06, 2018, 09:19

Does anyone have recordings of the removed Youtube videos ?
I happen to have downloaded the 2017 Free Yourself from Barcelona and that track from 2013 (Warehouse set?).

https://www.sendspace.com/file/0jxlt2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ore9pk

And here's a short clip from Printworks with a few seconds of Make Me High at the beginning
Last Edit: Mar 07, 2018, 22:53 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

I really dig Gotta Keep On Making Me High and Free yourself :music. I would like to hear a proper version of the first one, the youtube recording clip is lacking bass, the instagram clip has more punch into it (which is good) but it fades for most of its duration. Hope they play these live next month.

:music

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

Quote from: hstn on Mar 08, 2018, 02:21

Eve Of Destruction here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/110uhJIYNjsTSLqb8tOp1SzfL3C2V6o3x/view?usp=sharing

After getting reacquainted with this one. It reminds me of this:

...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Not sure if this was discovered already but this youtuber below linked Gotta Keep On with this 1978 disco track for the new track's eponymous sample

— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jun 27, 2018, 19:09

Not sure if this was discovered already but this youtuber below linked Gotta Keep On with this 1978 disco track for the new track's eponymous sample

Yes it's been mentioned several times including the (updated) first post of this thread.
As I've said elsewhere, I think it's a re-recording/recreation rather than a direct sample.
My bet is that they used Replay Heaven like they did with SIFSD.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jun 27, 2018, 19:34
Yes it's been mentioned several times including the (updated) first post of this thread.
Argh, should have read more thoroughly. Ok, seems like I'm always ten steps behind.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jun 27, 2018, 19:34

As I've said elsewhere, I think it's a re-recording/recreation rather than a direct sample.
My bet is that they used Replay Heaven like they did with SIFSD.
Sounds interesting but I'm not sure if I'd be a fan of this. Re-creating samples, hmm... well, less work and no royalties I guess..
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jun 28, 2018, 08:50

I'm not sure if I'd be a fan of this. Re-creating samples, hmm... well, less work and no royalties I guess..
I guess it depends on the sample. If someone tries to recreate James Brown's voice it's probably gonna sound silly. Mind you when I mentioned them HERE it related to Marvin Gaye. Although I suppose it wasn't necessarily meant to sound like Marvin Gaye.
Samples are so expensive, I wonder if we'll ever get another album like Endtroducing. Apparently there won't be another Paul's Boutique . From this 2011 article:
a lot of the samples on Paul's Boutique actually were cleared�but they were cleared at a time, 1989, when the industry didn't really see the value of sampling yet, so the rates for copyright clearances were much lower. Today, the rates they'd have to pay would make it impossible. Based on the number and type of samples in that record, Peter figured out that Capitol Records would lose 20 million dollars on a record that sold 2.5 million units.
If you look at Replay Heaven's Website you'll see a LOT of people are using them. In the case of Got To Keep On, I think I actually prefer the new vocals to Betty Wright's original vox on the above track.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jun 28, 2018, 09:58

If you look at Replay Heaven's Website you'll see a LOT of people are using them. In the case of Got To Keep On, I think I actually prefer the new vocals to Betty Wright's original vox on the above track.

Interesting. So maybe, as we've discussed before, Dissolve's interpolation of the guitar riff from Freeheat - 'The Two of Us' (Jesus and Mary Chain side project)
Spoiler
was outsourced through a similar process as well? Of course it could still be coincidence, though I'll admit I've yet to hear that guitar riff elsewhere.

Also, I would assume Tom and Ed would be more than capable of recreating something they wanted to sample, without sampling a song in it's natural form. What would be the reason for outsourcing this? Wider degree of separation?

Edit: As you guys alluded to, royalties most likely.
Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018, 19:11 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 29, 2018, 18:23

Edit: As you guys alluded to, royalties most likely.
Yep. And they don't even need separation, they gave writing credits on BITE for SIFSD and have also given writing credit to Peter Brown (as per the SACEM thread) for Got To Keep On.

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 29, 2018, 18:23

Also, I would assume Tom and Ed would be more than capable of recreating something they wanted to sample, without sampling a song in it's natural form

I think there's a difference between collaboration with say Beck or Aurora and needing some session vocals done. They haven't recorded in London since 2007 and I don't imagine there are too many session vocalists out in Lewes near the RAR studios. I guess if the third party can provide a profesional vocal, then why not? I imagine if they wanted to recreate synths/guitars they wouldn't need to use Replay Heaven.
Last Edit: Jun 29, 2018, 20:54 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!