Surrender to the Void

Got To Keep On

Started by Ben_j, Aug 06, 2017, 21:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bosco on Feb 05, 2019, 18:51

I've been ignoring the recent GTKO single release in an attempt to keep it fresh for the album drop, even though I've basically listened to it already (Rock in Rio broadcast). Guess I got to break that now!

Slightly fatigued over here. I take breaks from the Rio set by listening to the rip off EOD! It helps balance things out!

Btw! I went for the audition for this video! After I made the cut for the final 20 dancers, Mr Gondry let me go because I wasn't 'sweating' enough!

I should've been the guy with the orange beanie!
Last Edit: Feb 06, 2019, 00:36 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

It looks like they may swap each others clothes and who knows after that. I feel like Gondry is a good choice for this song. Thats what was missing with the GO video, you were waiting for some sort of 'twist' or climax but it never came because not much was happening. This one may build up to something.

The soul train thing is cool.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Feb 06, 2019, 00:29

Slightly fatigued over here. I take breaks from the Rio set by listening to the rip off EOD! It helps balance things out!

I must admit I still listen to the live version of GTKO its a bit more punchier and have gotten accustomed to that version. I guess thats the curse you get when you binge too much on bootlegs.
Last Edit: Feb 06, 2019, 01:38 by MIKL
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Bootleg bingeing! There's gotta be an AA meeting for this!

This track is getting big quickly. I really hope the hype doesn't carry on to some freaking car commercial, or a movie trailer, or worse, played on the Ellen show with the audience dancing.

I want this track to be sort of low key ( ha too late!) but then again not too much exposure where people are calling it 'commercially' popular.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Feb 06, 2019, 03:50

I want this track to be sort of low key ( ha too late!) but then again not too much exposure where people are calling it 'commercially' popular.
Nah, there's a differene between a song designed to be commercially successful (i.e. like Swift, Perry, Amerian Idol etc. crap) and a song that becomes commercially successful because it's awesome. And if a chemical track gets wide exposure because it just feels right and makes the crowd move their lazy asses and pulling their wallets, so be it. Nothing wrong with that. :)
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Better than Go. Free Yourself from Dom and Nic still the best film clip for this album so far though. Story wise and visually/technically.

The homage to Further visuals with the white blobs (taken from the green blobs from Another World) was a nice touch. Maybe the brief T&E are giving the directors is to pay tribute to the past visually in some form now that a little theme seems to be emerging?
Last Edit: Feb 06, 2019, 12:26 by MIKL

Quote from: nekoland on Feb 06, 2019, 12:05

Not in love with it! Don't hate it either.

Need to watch it a few more times, it's clearly a clever video.

Still got huge love for the track though.

"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

delivers ☃︎
Eight or over.

Oh it's short. Ok.
The white guy in tracksuit and glasses looks like he was in the IT department but has always harboured a secret desire to be a dancer. Then one day, Gondry was one dancer short...

Last Edit: Feb 06, 2019, 14:05 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

As always, the question: where is TOM and ED on the video?
Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

It was ok! I was waiting for some product placement by some liquid detergent. You know, your clothes stay colorful and white!

Dancing was good. Wish they wouldve kept going with it. Definitely some 'Further'thrown in there with the milk.

I know it's not fair to compare this video with Go, but I can't help it! I love Gondry but had to put the Go video out of my mind because it felt like it ran out of steam before it even got enough steam to get up and Go. But that said, every director is entitled to the occasional miss from time to time and I'm glad to see the groove is back with Got To Keep On.

I love the dancers in Got To Keep On, and I like the informal 'audition' feel of the video. The blobby, milky twist when the dancers transform and merge is clever.

Tune still catchy as all get out.  :music
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

It's not fantastic, by Gondry's standards. But it's still much better than Go.

It's fun, but not nearly as good as Let Forever Be. Way bettern than Go.
I like the subtle effects. in my opinion, the video would be way better if the people started in white clothing and then would get more colourful as the song progresse.

It just goes by so fast.  Was surprised when it ended. MORE!!!!

Someone grab some classic Soul Train footage and sync it!

Agree with Shotglass! Was kinda short!

I... I don't get it...

Was the dancing in time for anyone else or was I just having trouble with YouTube?
The whole track is about rhythm, accents, those clap-snares, the bells. None of those cues were hit.
I did enjoy the gradual evolution, from dancing, to "hang on, something weird happened there", to "ohhhh, weirdness IS happening" but then a minute long breakdown in a song that's already been edited down to 3 minutes. I don't know. Obviously it was better than Go but it lacked the same connection to the music for me. Someone said it on Facebook, but man, the live visuals are just leagues ahead. They should have just released that.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Feb 06, 2019, 14:09

It was ok! I was waiting for some product placement by some liquid detergent. You know, your clothes stay colorful and white!

Funny you say that, when I watched it last night, the youtube comments were saying it reminded them of a christmas commercial with the bells throughout the song.

deep down, Somehow I knew they would go for a fashion show inspired/esq theme for the music video  8)

though (like half of the youtube comments) I still prefer the Michelin mummies
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Stefan on Feb 06, 2019, 19:11

It's fun, but not nearly as good as Let Forever Be. Way bettern than Go.
I like the subtle effects. in my opinion, the video would be way better if the people started in white clothing and then would get more colourful as the song progresse.

In the Gondry realm, Let Forever Be is a tough one to top!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.