Superflash - Numéro Un, Number One

Got To Keep On

Started by Ben_j, Aug 06, 2017, 21:29

Previous topic - Next topic
I guess when you've already heard the track, you're hoping for something new or "extra" when it finally comes out. Not much new here, but nice to finally be able to hear it properly on headphones.

Must admit the cheering noises on both CHEMICAL and this track aren't really my cup of tea. I suppose they're used as a way of filling the space - a bit like say, the bongos in Go - but putting cheering on your own records feels a bit like self-praise to me. Am I being harsh?

IT'S MORNING TIME!

I would also love a rip of this!  ;)
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jan 31, 2019, 16:11

I guess when you've already heard the track, you're hoping for something new or "extra" when it finally comes out. Not much new here, but nice to finally be able to hear it properly on headphones.
True, but this is what you get when you listen to album tracks in advance. Question is, would your perception of it have been different if you had waited for the album?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jan 31, 2019, 17:01

True, but this is what you get when you listen to album tracks in advance. Question is, would your perception of it have been different if you had waited for the album?
Probably, but I saw them live a couple of months back. Was I meant to close my ears?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Yes. Stupid question. Next.

Nah, but in all seriousness, there is something a little disappointing in hearing the exact same song as a studio version after hearing it live ahead of time. I remember when my buddy and I first sat and listened through Animal Collective's 'Merriweather Post Pavillion' after listening to bootlegs constantly and seeing them live a few times before the album. It was actually such a magical experience because SO much had changed for the record. Obviously it's slightly different as their live versions are never as fleshed out as on record, and couldn't ever be really, but you hope for some kind of change, even if it's nuanced or minor. I think you can appreciate a studio version in a different way if you've already heard the song. What production choices did they make in the end? What little sprinkles of magic did they dust over the top of what was already heard? It can be super satisfying to pick up on those the first time. I think...
I'm normally a hold-off-until-the-album kind of guy, but I want all of this so bad, I couldn't this time round.

I am going to wait until tomorrow though, because I decided to live somewhere where it's still Thursday, and I'm OK with that.
Last Edit: Jan 31, 2019, 18:13 by Enjoyed
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

trust me when I say this. When you finally get to see the show, it wont matter anymore.

try not to think of it as spoiling it for yourself. when you hear it live, it will be worth it.

as for current and present listening, i change the eq and surround settings for my audio on my phone to give it a little more life to the song.

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Jan 31, 2019, 18:04

Nah, but in all seriousness, there is something a little disappointing in hearing the exact same song as a studio version after hearing it live ahead of time. I remember when my buddy and I first sat and listened through Animal Collective's 'Merriweather Post Pavillion' after listening to bootlegs constantly and seeing them live a few times before the album. It was actually such a magical experience because SO much had changed for the record. Obviously it's slightly different as their live versions are never as fleshed out as on record, and couldn't ever be really, but you hope for some kind of change, even if it's nuanced or minor. I think you can appreciate a studio version in a different way if you've already heard the song. What production choices did they make in the end? What little sprinkles of magic did they dust over the top of what was already heard? It can be super satisfying to pick up on those the first time. I think...
I'm normally a hold-off-until-the-album kind of guy, but I want all of this so bad, I couldn't this time round.

I am going to wait until tomorrow though, because I decided to live somewhere where it's still Thursday, and I'm OK with that.

Knowing the difference between the BITE tracks and their live versions compared to what they're doing with NG, I'm kind of glad it's mostly the same this time around, granted I wish they'd throw in some surprises in the studio versions, but nothing drastic like in 2015.
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jan 31, 2019, 18:04

Probably, but I saw them live a couple of months back. Was I meant to close my ears?
And didn't you feel a little guilty after that? Nah, I was just messing around with ya. ;)

Quote from: Enjoyed on Jan 31, 2019, 18:04

The thing is, hadn't it been usually the other way around where you got the album, then single releases and then you went to concerts where those songs were adapted for the ultimate live performance? The brothers are famous for their way of notching up their album tracks live, adding more depth or nuances to them.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

This is the thing though. Why did Justice go to all the effort of doing a studio version of WWW as a new album? Cause it was a reinterpretation of the latest music as well as the older stuff, and thats an exciting thing for a fan. I'm glad they did that because I wasn't 'satisfied' with the original album versions of the Woman songs. I just felt like they needed a little more.

It can be a battle with art v commerce too sometimes with deadlines in this fast paced world.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Stephanie Dosen? nice
no idea, no idea

From the no geography topic:
Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jan 31, 2019, 22:53

also theres this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ln4VrTLm8&ab_channel=TheChemicalBrothers
whats great is that if you time this correctly, this leads into the 1st clip
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I noticed they lengthened the crowd cheering sample out during the rain/tears speech. (instead of having a short loop of the same whistling slightly cut off every 2 seconds) I kind of liked that it worked with the tears being repeated as well. Not a major thing though.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

¡Qué hermoso tema!
Keep us informed ((it's 21:30 here).

You are all my children now!

I don't know who's the chems PR but why would you want to put 3 YouTube teasers for this track?

Finally a official announcement!

Finally just heard it

The bells come in early + more chorus, which is a big surprise,

But I still really really love this track too much!

I hope they give this track the same treatment to MAH/ FY, meaning put out another single with GTKO (longer version hopefully with those missing parts I mentioned) and EOD on the other side!

Make this happen T and E!
Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 15:36 by inchemwetrust

Love, love, love this track.

At the Ally Pally this was the 'malteser catwalk' tune 8)

So woozy and psychedelic - and I love the random feedback/tears poetry build up right in the middle - so out of place, yet so right!

Smashing work T and E - high hopes for the album now!

Among the 3 tracks we have already heard from the upcoming No Geography album, Got To Keep On is not my favourite, but I understand its choice as the first single as it sounds more mainstream than Mad As Hell or Free Yourself.