Push the Button

Got To Keep On

Started by Ben_j, Aug 06, 2017, 21:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Erol Alkan has a strange version of Got To Keep On in his new mix (thanks Chemicalmat for the spotting). It's labelled as "The Chemical Brothers - Fanta" (the tracklist timestamp is wrong), and it has the funky synth that was in the first version of GTKO that they ditched (the one heard in the Nuits Sonores DJ Set).

I'm guessing this is like Out Of Control/Enjoyed, where Fanta is a different track based on the same sounds as GTKO. Or maybe it's the "instrumental" bonus version from the vinyl and japanese versions ?

The track starts around 40:00 https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/metropolis/erol-alkan-mix

Ah, so the mix actually starts with Erol's (excellent) Spectrum which is really 0.00 but listed on the tracklist as 1:03:00. Ok.
Then it just ends on 45 minutes and jumps to something new? The final three tracks after "Fanta" aren't included?

Anyway, yeah it's got that lovely "middle eight" melody (electric guitar-ish?) at 42.55-43.09 [EDIT: sometimes the seconds are slightly off and the mix ends with a time beyond the stated 45.02. So the bit I mention may be more like 43.11 - 43.25} which didn't make the final version. Hope that's in the extended version.

So, anyone done a rip of this track yet?

ps: Thanks ChemicalMat!

Last Edit: Feb 17, 2019, 15:32 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Ben_j on Feb 17, 2019, 14:00

Erol Alkan has a strange version of Got To Keep On in his new mix (thanks Chemicalmat for the spotting). It's labelled as "The Chemical Brothers - Fanta" (the tracklist timestamp is wrong), and it has the funky synth that was in the first version of GTKO that they ditched (the one heard in the Nuits Sonores DJ Set).

I'm guessing this is like Out Of Control/Enjoyed, where Fanta is a different track based on the same sounds as GTKO. Or maybe it's the "instrumental" bonus version from the vinyl and japanese versions ?

The track starts around 40:00 https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/metropolis/erol-alkan-mix

Thanx Ben_j ! hope they're gonna play it this way on live !

Fanta as in relation to the soft drink?

Anyway yeah, agree with Wolkenkrabber that melodic part has Chems signature on it.

I Dig it. Sounds like Homework era Daft Punk

I just had an epiphany:
Fanta = Fan Thai ! So it is the Japanese bonus track.

Was thinking the same thing. It's got to be.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 17, 2019, 21:16

Fanta as in relation to the soft drink?

Anyway yeah, agree with Wolkenkrabber that melodic part has Chems signature on it.

I Dig it. Sounds like Homework era Daft Punk

Totally thought of Revolution 909 straight away.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

They mixed up tracklists on these two pages:

https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/metropolis/erol-alkan-mix
https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/metropolis/latest-show

Yeah, it's Chems track. Really like this kind of remix!
Hi Kevin!

:o

It's like a 'don't fight control' version for GTKO!

I vouch for both versions to be played live!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

nice  :music

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

^ Wait, did that Youtuber read my comments or what?! :o
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Sue him!

Quote from: wrclaguna on Feb 28, 2019, 18:49

I hate to be the one to say this... but that video was far better than the Gondry-directed video.

I mean, not that Gondry's video was bad--not at all.

It's just... god damn there was some necessary darkness in that that somehow fit.

I'll have to go see Climax now.

I cannot get enough of this song and this video is absolutely perfect.

Ok. I don't want to be that guy, but is no one going to make a music video for this track that is actually edited in time? I don't get it. I feel like I could film myself dancing to the track in my bedroom and end up with something that fits better.
The Climax clips are better in terms of their mood, but damn, not a single one was slowed to get the dancing in time. Only occasionally did things sync up and it was seemingly by accident.
I wish I had time to do something myself. This track deserves synchronised rhythmic editing.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 01, 2019, 05:18

Ok. I don't want to be that guy, but is no one going to make a music video for this track that is actually edited in time? I don't get it. I feel like I could film myself dancing to the track in my bedroom and end up with something that fits better.
The Climax clips are better in terms of their mood, but damn, not a single one was slowed to get the dancing in time. Only occasionally did things sync up and it was seemingly by accident.
I wish I had time to do something myself. This track deserves synchronised rhythmic editing.
They didn't? Hm. That's a squandered opportunity, because from the few seconds of clips I heard so far, you'd think this would be a no brainer. I love the way Adam and Marcus coreographed the live visuals, especially the two pyramid shaped dancers who spin their head to one side to the beat.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Exactly. The live visuals work perfectly, because they are built to the rhythm and movement of the track.

The Gondry video and the Climax edit do not. The Gondry video has the dancing in time, but just misses out on key accents and moment. In my opinion at least.

GTKO Riton remix

no idea, no idea

^ Mmm, not bad. How did you even find this? I'm looking at the Chems YT channel and I'm struggling to see it listed.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Liked that A LOT. Probably the best remix of a Chems track in the last few years. Maybe even since the PTB era...