Maybe I Feel Out of Control

Sample

Started by Agustin123, Sep 16, 2017, 02:04

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi. I have a doubt. In the song Elektrobank, the Chemical Brothers sampled the line "Who is this doin synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin? '' That's Shit by Keith Murray. But in This That Shit you hear '' Who is dis doin emphatic type of alpha beta funkadelic funkin?''. Does anyone explain that to me?

Well, I guess they chopped it up and re-arranged it. It's a common practice in music production and the brothers are masters in that department.

Unfortunately this interview from 1997 published in 'Details' (a long ceased magazine) isn't online anymore but in there they stated that they've a habit of distorting and tweaking samples beyond recognition. So this would be a small task for them. Although, it would be intriguing to see how they do these kind of things exactly. But it's the chefs' special sauce, I guess.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

A question. Is Star Guitar's melody a sample of David Bowie's Starman or are they the Chemical Brothers playing the guitar?

I asked this question before and Csar was quick to say no.
However 11 votes on WhoSampled say yes.

I remember Ed Simons saying in an old interview that they had sampled a famous rock record but the original artist would never recognise it because they had changed the sound of the sample so much. It's hard to tell for sure if that acoustic guitar from Starman really did become the Star Guitar sound but it would certainly make sense regarding the title. They didn't officially acknowledge it in the credits but that doesn't mean they didn't do it. I guess only Tom & Ed know for sure.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

A question. At the beginning of Elektrobank you hear a person in a public event of the chemical brothers. Is kool herc or grandmaster caz?

Quote from: Agustin123 on Sep 21, 2017, 00:33

A question. At the beginning of Elektrobank you hear a person in a public event of the chemical brothers. Is kool herc or grandmaster caz?
It was Kool Herc, the sample is taken from a 1996 concert done at the Irving Plaza...
I CAN'T SEEM TO SHAKE THIS FEELING
I CAN'T SEEM TO PUT IT DOWN,DOWN,DOWN,DOWN...