Do It Again

The Crystal Method

Started by satur8, Dec 27, 2017, 13:57

Previous topic - Next topic
The Brothers and the Method have obviously taken different paths since their starts in the 90s, but at one point I certainly feel they had some crossover appeal within their genre. Is there a negative history between these two? Not only does it seem weird that we never got crossover remixes like we did with Fatboy Slim and the Prodigy, but I honestly can't remember a set where the Chems dropped a Crystal track (although the Method are not shy with using the Chem's material). I admit I haven't researched this at all and this may have been discussed in the past, but I figured this may be a good place to discuss anecdotes or notes regarding  the Brothers and the Method (or Fatboy or Prodigy or Orbital...whomever...).

Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

can't remember the brothers dropped a tune from prodigy or norman or orbital or atomic kitten - i think their mixes or dj sets are just not that kind of music
no idea, no idea

I saw a Crystal Method DJ set a few months ago in Seattle. He played several songs from that time period including a few from the brothers. I was pretty surprised by how good it was. I had low expectations since that act has changed so much over the years.

I always had the feeling that the Crystal Method were a wannabe Chemical Brothers. Nothing wrong with that per se. But Fatboy did it better IMHO.
But now it's my turn to ask a Crystal Method question. Apologies if this was discussed years ago on an older version of the forum.
There's a noise on Keep Hope Alive (1.03 onwards) which is familiar from Leave Home.
It doesn't get a mention on WhoSampled for either track. Did TCM sample it straight from the CB's or is it older than that? To me it almost sounds like an electronic rerub of the "Shoot Your Shot" sample in House of Pain's Jump Around.

On the plus side, I quite liked their Breaks take on Bizarre Love Triangle:

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Yeah there's connections. The Chems did namedrop Underworld and Orbital as big influences during the Pete Tong Takeover they did on BBC Radio, Chime was "the one track that reminded them of Pete Tong the most" and "one of those records they needed in their box". And then of course there's the remixes they did for those. I don't know if they've ever acknowledged Crystal Method.

Like Pum said it's just a different kind of music I guess, but I also figure, they probably assume everyone's heard of these similar bands, so they use their DJ sets and radio shows to flex their crate digging muscles, show off more obscure tunes. I think they get a kick out of exploring with their sets rather than playing the tracks "you'd expect".
Never for money, always for love.

I am looking for FLAC or high quality versions of the remixes and b-sides for Vegas (Now Is the Time, Keep Hope Alive, More, Dubeliscious Groove, Busy Child (Uberzone), and Comin' Back. The 10 year Anniversary edition sounds great and the newer remixes are awesome, but the CD single releases of the original era sound very flat compared to the newer masters on a playlist. If anyone has  suggestions or can even confirm these are available, please let me know. I am just beginning this search and haven't checked anywhere else so far. Thank you.

Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 15:32 by satur8
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

The Crystal Method just did a joint mix with The Drone Pilots (that's me) and we had The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and Prodigy amongst others featured alongside unreleased and new versions of original TCM tracks. You can access it here: https://soundcloud.com/the-drone-pilots/the-drone-pilots-040-infusion-with-the-crystal-method

Quote from: MathsDX on Nov 02, 2022, 06:31

The Crystal Method just did a joint mix with The Drone Pilots (that's me) and we had The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and Prodigy amongst others featured alongside unreleased and new versions of original TCM tracks. You can access it here: https://soundcloud.com/the-drone-pilots/the-drone-pilots-040-infusion-with-the-crystal-method

I enjoyed this very much. The remixes were great and the production was excellent! I liked it from start to finish with its great assortment of song selections, and the highlight for me was when Trip Like I Do took on a life of its own.

If I were you I would consider moving this to the 'post your own music' header: that's up to you and the admins, but I think that topic gets more traffic. I understand this may be different as a collab, but wanted to mention it.