Free Yourself

No Reason

Started by Joslyn, Feb 17, 2023, 07:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bosco on Mar 17, 2023, 05:03
Elongated drum outro from what I can hear.
Quote from: Csar on Mar 17, 2023, 08:39
I suspect this is meant to be a DJ "friendlier" version with its outro.

Yes, longer intro section too. About ten or eleven seconds longer. So I agree it does seem to be more DJ friendly. I could have done with another minute towards the end of the track  - pile on some layers of sound for a bigger ending.

Quote from: Ben_j on Mar 17, 2023, 07:30
The extended mix is a bit pointless... I expected them to add the live ending but no.

Live version > released version?

Quote from: Explud on Mar 17, 2023, 07:52
Everywhere?

There is no reason to listen...
Sorry to hear you've been overlooked Explud. Is there an equivalent to Funky Souls these days since that website stopped? I imagine with your tech skills you've found a way to watch/listen.

Quote from: M_O_N_O on Mar 17, 2023, 07:50
Strange release. At the moment... the Vinyl only in the US and Australia.

Also available in the UK. This is the link that opens up for people in the UK from the Chems website homepage. I don't know if that's the same for the rest of you. It looks pretty similar to Enjoyed's screenshot. The text is slightly different though:
No Reason 12", £15.99. Delivery from £3.95. Release Date 28 April 2023. Product code: CHEMST 36. Format: 12" Vinyl, Label: EMI. Limited Edition 180g 12 inch red vinyl single.  Side A: No Reason. Side B: All Of A Sudden. PRE ORDER (button)

Looks like other places may sell it too:
https://twitter.com/Vinyl_Releases/status/1636706476541591555

Quote from: Csar on Mar 17, 2023, 10:50
Premier in 10 minutes? I want it now!
The premier was at 4am UK time (I didn't wait up). Surley that meant it was at 5am German time?
4am seems a strange choice, doesn't it?

As for the viusals, I do like these; they make me chuckle. Taking the disciplined structure of a marching band and then getting them to do synchronized goofy dancing is fun.
Love the neon look too. If the Chems ever do a "Kraftwerk 3D" style live show, I look forward to these guys flapping their hands and twirling their drumsticks in my face.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

been avoiding the live clips until the studio version, so i've only heard the clips from dj sets. really dig the claps and other details hiding underneath.

re: the high-pitched bits at the end, that's the most canonically live-chemical-transition thing i've ever heard so i'm not at all surprised that it's not in [the single version of] the studio track.

i also could definitely see this with more "chemical broken-synth ambiance" as well, but at the same time it's very nice to see moves away from some of the old tricks. especially if you contrast this with the warm, atmosphere feel of darkness you feel, the really tight sound of this recording is pretty cool
Eight or over.

^ It doesn't look like there was a big radio "premiere" today. Although it did get a play on 6 Music at 4am, UK time. I guess there was a broadcast embargo until then.

https://twitter.com/AirplayNinja/status/1636578883083591680

Back in 2021 I remember Pete Tong (yes, he's still around) making TDTYF his Essential New Tune of the week. When he played the track, he said "we surrender" (I see what you did there, Pete).
I'm quite sure he'll make a fanfare of playing No Reason tonight. Who knows? Maybe he'll make it his essential new tune?

From 2021:
https://twitter.com/petetong/status/1385706293688631296

Some more info on No Reason from VCP Newz

The electronic music pioneers – Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons – have shared the frenzied acid house dance tune and a hypnotic visualiser to boot, directed by longtime collaborators Smith and Lyall and choreographed and performed by Gecko Theatre, who fans will know from their festival shows last year.

The track was mixed in Dolby ATMOS by Giles Martin – the son of famed Beatles producer George Martin – at the legendary Abbey Road Studios.
Last Edit: Mar 17, 2023, 15:13 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

So exciting!! I love this new track - intro is shorter (not a bad thing!) than I remember from Portola and hearing it again took me back! Really digging the builds in this song and love the fat squelchy goodness at around 2:30. Overall the track is short and sweet, crisp and fresh, and such a goooood tease for what's to come! Bring it on!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Escape Velocity back then had its premier on Studio Brussels
no idea, no idea

SBRK

👀

The Chemical Brothers  Post

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

So fantastic to finally hear the studio version.

It's pretty fuckin' great.

Quote from: whitelabel84 on Mar 17, 2023, 06:34
Australian link to Sound Of Vinyl AU folks!!
Still, $38 for a 12" is rotten but it's the best we're going to get ...
Then it was another $16 to post to me in Perth! I'll go through the official UK online store - £16 plus £7 postage equals AUD $41.50 delivered. Still expensive, but collecting is expensive business.

Quote from: Ford on Mar 18, 2023, 00:38
Then it was another $16 to post to me in Perth! I'll go through the official UK online store - £16 plus £7 postage equals AUD $41.50 delivered. Still expensive, but collecting is expensive business.

The offical store link went live the next day after I'd ordered 2 copies via SOV AU - but hey. ....  :-\
And I wouldn't be surprised you actually getting your order before me  ;D

I was reading through some of the YT comments for NR and noticed that a few commenters felt this sounded Daft Punky

amazing - DAFT PUNK DID A NEW SONG !
Very daft punkesque.. Fucking dope though!
Do you hear, as I do, a little "Daft Punk" vibe?
kinda like daft punk

So, honest question: Why? To me, it doesn't sound remotely like anything Daft Punk has ever produced. It rather has the Chemical footprint written all over it imo. I'm a little confused.

This comment right here is exactly how I feel and have felt about the Bros ever since I discovered them
It's like if Vitalic and chembro's and front 242 had a baby. It's amazing how the chems' sound is indistinguishable. You could listen to 20 seconds of any part of this song and still know it's them. Thank you for the music! Now go Collab with Vitalic, Stromae and Charlotte Adigery!
Last Edit: Mar 19, 2023, 12:24 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Mar 19, 2023, 10:50
I was reading through some of the YT comments for NR and noticed that a few commenters felt this sounded Daft Punky

So, honest question: Why?

It's the funky bass guitar line. Simple as that.
I saw a comment that said the Chems had never sounded so Daft Punk-y. And I wondered: have you heard CHEMICAL? I think they literally sampled the stab sound directly from DP (and maybe the Japanese BITE CD booklet mentioned this? I bought the earlier Japanese CD version of BITE for Direct Buki, but never got the 2CD version with CHEMICAL on it, so I can't check the booklet).

While we're dissecting NR, my brain asked this question yesterday: Are the acid breaks in this track (at 2:26 and 3:26 in the 4 min version) too raw for the track, or is the track too well produced for the acid breaks?
The acid break (or "middle eight") in Go manages to sound huge but also well produced and smooth. I don't know if that actually came from a 303 (?).

By contrast, the acid breaks in this track feel very raw, as though a 303 was just whacked straight onto the track. Some of ya'll will probably say: "it's perfect, it's a nice contrast with the rest of the track", and maybe you're right. But the thought popped into my head, so maybe I'm not the only one thinking it?

Speaking of which, here's somebody giving it a go on a 303:

https://twitter.com/motokihada/status/1637090216015183873

I'm not sure that he has the note sequence quite right. But hey, good effort Motoki Hada.

Now, why are we dicussing No Reason in the XDUST12 thread, Csar?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 19, 2023, 11:57
It's the funky bass guitar line. Simple as that.
Really? Just the sound or the pattern or both? Did you get that feeling as well? Daft Punk never even crossed my mind with this bassline.

And I wondered: have you heard CHEMICAL? I think they literally sampled the stab sound directly from DP
You mean, even if true, they would have sampled a sample that Daft Punk sampled, right? And a stab sound isn't that hard to come by, imo, so why sample DP's sample?

While we're dissecting NR, my brain asked this question yesterday: Are the acid breaks in this track (at 2:26 and 3:26 in the 4 min version) too raw for the track, or is the track too well produced for the acid breaks?
The acid break (or "middle eight") in Go manages to sound huge but also well produced and smooth. I don't know if that actually came from a 303 (?).

By contrast, the acid breaks in this track feel very raw, as though a 303 was just whacked straight onto the track. Some of ya'll will probably say: "it's perfect, it's a nice contrast with the rest of the track", and maybe you're right. But the thought popped into my head, so maybe I'm not the only one thinking it?
Well, I really like it the way it is and is placed throughout the song. It does give it a bit of a contrast to the dreamier synth hook, adding a bit of punch to it. The only thing, like I mentioned previously, is I wished they would have "garnished" it with some nice, subtle background sound effects or a second background layer or whatever and not just repeat it. It's a little like We've Got To Try where they repeat the main loop a couple of times but don't add anything interesting to the sound palette.

But what's great about this track is that they're able time and again to create these type of melodies and basslines etc. that won't get out of my head and stick with me for days, making me sing them either in my mind or aloud.

Now, why are we dicussing No Reason in the XDUST12 thread, Csar?
I could say because it's going to be on the new album but the truth is because I'm getting old and senile.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Mar 19, 2023, 10:50

So, honest question: Why? To me, it doesn't sound remotely like anything Daft Punk has ever produced. It rather has the Chemical footprint written all over it imo. I'm a little confused.

This comment right here is exactly how I feel and have felt about the Bros ever since I discovered them
People reach to the closest thing they know, and people also are quick to imitate others.

I do agree that I don't hear Daft Punk in No Reason, especially what we last heard from Thomas & Guy-Manuel.

No offense to Daft Punk, but they're done and gone.

While we're dissecting NR, my brain asked this question yesterday: Are the acid breaks in this track (at 2:26 and 3:26 in the 4 min version) too raw for the track..

Not at all. but gives the track more kick. In fact, it kind of saved the track from a sort of repetitiveness.

NR sounds B sidish and not in a bad way. It reminds me of Nude night or Porquoi. The visual provides so much detail and gives the track more character and oomph. 

As for the DP comparisons, I'll take it as a compliment, as the bros wouldn't even try to sound like them.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Was all of a sudden played at any of the DJ sets? I didn't get to any of them.
The music gets louder, the lights swirl faster and the chap who freaks out just hasn't passed the acid test. A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the vocals dont really suit the track. Maybe its because I subconsciously know they're sampled rather than recorded specifically for the track but I just dont feel like they fit, especially the little chant that comes in right at the start of the track, just feels kind of irrelevant

The track is an absolute banger though and I love the acid middle 8 :music

Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Quote from: chemdup on Mar 20, 2023, 00:53
It was only played at DJ sets, never live. there's videos on youtube
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: chemdup on Mar 20, 2023, 00:53
yes!

And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: hstn on Mar 20, 2023, 17:14
yes!

Thanks mate, that's an absolutely filthy tune! 
The music gets louder, the lights swirl faster and the chap who freaks out just hasn't passed the acid test. A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is