Did I Pass the Acid Test?

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
More family Bullshit: tread further if you dare
Spoiler
I am sick of the obvious favoritism in my family. Why is it that when my sister does something shady and I call her out on it, IM the one who gets in trouble. Do I hiss when I disagree with someone, NO. Did I cuss under my breath, NO. Did I Tell someone to get the F out of my way, NO. so why is me who gets yelled at by everybody when my sister does something wrong.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Finally, booked my hotel and flight for London and today I got an email that the ticket for the Ally Pally gig was dispatched.
Can't wait for the trip :)

So I haven't said anything on Aretha Franklin passing, but I want to share Barack Obama's thoughts:

Quote from: Barack Obama
America has no royalty. But we do have a chance to earn something more enduring. Born in Memphis and raised in Detroit, Aretha Franklin grew up performing gospel songs in her father's congregation. For more than six decades since, every time she sang, we were all graced with a glimpse of the divine. Through her compositions and unmatched musicianship, Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. She helped us feel more connected to each other, more hopeful, more human. And sometimes she helped us just forget about everything else and dance.

Aretha may have passed on to a better place, but the gift of her music remains to inspire us all. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace. Michelle and I send our prayers and warmest sympathies to her family and all those moved by her song.

Pipes unmatched

R.I.P.

Oh, my heart... RIP, beautiful soul  :'(

Last Edit: Aug 18, 2018, 08:04 by sandelic
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

What a loss. And she wasn't even that old either. I watched an emotional Don Lemon segment last night which got me a little teared up.

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

As some of you who befriended me on FB may know, I'm in New York for the first time in my life this week.

It's an incredible city, in many regards. Huge, full of things to see and to do, yet very, very familiar. I think it's the first time in my life I land in a foreign city and I feel so at home, not lost. It probably has to do with how much I already unconsciously know about the city, from seeing it in movies, TV shows and mostly video games (I planned some of my days here by referring to GTA IV, looking at "what is the real life version of this neighbourhood I want to see ?").
I played the new Spider-Man game a lot last week prior to my trip and it did help a lot in giving me a summary of landmarks to see and their relative positions to each other. Going back to the game next week after seeing the city for real is going to be interesting !

Glad you enjoy your trip, Benji! It's an overwhelming city, so adventurous and exciting. I only spent 3 days there (just before New Years and right after a blizzard went through in 2010) when I lived in the US and always regretted not coming back in that 6 months period. I walked for hours (like on any of my trips) exploring the streets, took the metro to near East Harlem and walked back all the way along Central Park. Aw, those were the times. Be safe and enjoy your experience!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

My experiences with NYC have been seeing the Chemical Brothers do a DJ set back in 2003, and visiting the city years prior in "kid-friendly" circumstances. I loved hitting up the club and I liked the fact that there are people everywhere and energy around every corner.

With that said, though, I found the place oppressively urban. Everyone seems to vibrate at a different energy, and for whatever reason NYC didn't quite vibe with me.

Glad you are enjoying the trip. I highly encourage you to visit some of your brethren on the West Coast of the United States.

Ben, happy you're having a good time. And Happy for you Non-American folk making it to the states. Anytime I try to calculate a trip out of country, some type of personal calamity finds its way to me and derails my enthusiasm. I'm very envious of you guys!

I want to echo Pooters sentiments though. If any y'all find yourself in the Midwest give your boy a holla and I'll do my best to accommodate for a hug and a brew.

Quote from: Ben_j on Sep 20, 2018, 23:41

It's an incredible city, in many regards. Huge, full of things to see and to do, yet very, very familiar.
That's exactly how i felt when i was in Tokyo last year, except that my only experience with this city before was Lost In Translation. But still it was somehow very familiar, but i think that was mostly because of the japanese people who made it really easy to feel comfortable.
Have a good time in NYC (it's on my list of cities that wanna see before i die, so fingers crossed to see it)
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Ben_j on Sep 20, 2018, 23:41

As some of you who befriended me on FB may know, I'm in New York for the first time in my life this week.

It's an incredible city, in many regards. Huge, full of things to see and to do, yet very, very familiar. I think it's the first time in my life I land in a foreign city and I feel so at home, not lost. It probably has to do with how much I already unconsciously know about the city, from seeing it in movies, TV shows and mostly video games (I planned some of my days here by referring to GTA IV, looking at "what is the real life version of this neighbourhood I want to see ?").
I played the new Spider-Man game a lot last week prior to my trip and it did help a lot in giving me a summary of landmarks to see and their relative positions to each other. Going back to the game next week after seeing the city for real is going to be interesting !

Love visiting, (will be there over Halloween, hated living there.

Right now on Lauren Laverne's show on 6 Music => Desert Island Disco "Dig Your Own Hole"-Special
no idea, no idea

One man party goin' on ova hurrr. I got gifted some special edition seasonal Chimay cheese (that I've never tasted before) and indulged in a bottle of Chimay Grande Réserve that I personally aged 7 years. Cheese was good. Fantastic texture and very buttery. Beer, as always, was crackingly grande!

and a Good Friday night Saturday Morning to y'all

^ Oh Americans know about Wallace and Gromitt?

In other news, trophy hunting really is bullshit.

https://twitter.com/BiologistDan/status/1051154178335264768

IT'S MORNING TIME!

I hate that man. No other way of saying that.
Now I'm gonna play some Witcher or something to calm my nerves.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

How do you litigate decades of vitriol in a family?

Apparently, it takes a little more than two years. And you get more grey hairs by the end of it.

I think I played my role well. I got to be an asshole on a number of occasions, and I even managed a win with the court along the way. The case ended up settling, meaning that the court didn't ultimately decide in favor of one side or another. But my client got what she could out of the lawsuit, that's for sure.

One piece of advice: Don't get into business with your family. Money makes people weird. Especially when the amount of money involved has eight digits in the number.

This was the first of three rather lengthy, involved lawsuits that end up being meaningful to my small law firm.

This was the first step toward a cruise liner, away from a rickety old sailboat.

This water has some stormy waves. But god damn do I have some good oars.

Chilling on episode 10 of new season of DareDevil.
Have a nice fire going with a Winter Star beer. Has a bang of ginger off it, tasty tho.
Going to see Chems with the fiancée on Monday so that's nice.
Anyone else here on a Saturday night? What you up to?

recently moved because rents TDH
back on a treadmill, but i think my running days are over. really gassed after 2 miles.
lost my anti-nazi CD in a rental car
hurt my neck but ct,xray and mri didnt find shit. very concerned.
tuesday is a big day, and im not talking about taco tuesday!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jul 08, 2018, 00:22

More family Bullshit: tread further if you dare
Spoiler
I am sick of the obvious favoritism in my family. Why is it that when my sister does something shady and I call her out on it, IM the one who gets in trouble. Do I hiss when I disagree with someone, NO. Did I cuss under my breath, NO. Did I Tell someone to get the F out of my way, NO. so why is me who gets yelled at by everybody when my sister does something wrong.

this used to be me. im a middle child so my brother and sister would get all the encouragement/positive vibes and i would get the shame or punishment (yelled at)
they would get in trouble and receive the 'poor boy' or 'poor girl' treatment while I got 'the terrible son' or 'why cant you be like your siblings' talk.

its a phase. it goes away after (insert years here) but then again, since every family is different, id say just be closer to other family and friends who know your heart better and treat you no lesser than a loved one.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.