I'm Dancing In the Shadow of Love

Extended and edited versions of...

Started by Joslyn, Jun 25, 2016, 11:22

Previous topic - Next topic
In order to get my full Chemical fix I'm always looking for original releases. In my search a stumbled on some peculiar versions.

Chemical Beats - The original 12" has an intro before the beats drop. On EPD this intro is edited out for mixing. The same version without the intro is on the Singles 93-03 and Brotherhood compilations. Does a cd release excist of Chemical Beats with the intro?

Leftfield Open Up Dust Brothers remix - The original remix can be found on the Leftfield single cd and 12" and is 8:04 long. There are compilations with edited versions, which is not strange, but there are at least 2 compilations with extended versions of 9:19. I really like these extended versions but which one was made by Tom and Ed? Did the compilations extend the remix themselves? Or (and I think this is the case) is the 8:04 version the Dust Brothers remix and did Tom and Ed extended the remix to the 9:19 version which from than on would be known as The Chemical Brothers remix!

What do you guys know or think about it? And what other strange edits or extended mixes are floating around?

Quote from: Joslyn on Jun 25, 2016, 11:22

Chemical Beats - The original 12" has an intro before the beats drop. On EPD this intro is edited out for mixing. The same version without the intro is on the Singles 93-03 and Brotherhood compilations. Does a cd release excist of Chemical Beats with the intro?

Does this unofficial Japanese Compilation CD  count? I'm guessing track 7 is a vinyl rip considering it's unoffical, but I don't know as I haven't got it. Why don't you cough up £30 and find out?  ::). Incidentally I wonder what track 12 is.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

The 9 minute version of Open Up is 100% legitimate, but I have no idea how it originally surfaced... I guess (since the compilations were not bootlegs) Tom and Ed provided them with a longer version of the track. Most likely their 9:15 version was the original, but it was edited down to 8:48 for the initial Leftfield singles for who knows what reason.

Chemical Beats's original intro was never released on anything except that original vinyl, either because of the obvious sampling of The Beatles or The Goats. Both of which are still in the album version, of course, but I guess getting them out of the intro helped sneak em past.

Joslyn there are some interesting short radio edits of songs and remixes out there. Short versions of Saturate, Star Guitar, etc. The edit of It Began In Africa is my favorite, because of an extra vocal pitch down effect in the middle, you don't hear that on any other version.

@skyscraper Track 12 is a short little trip-hop number - doesn't sound particularly Chemical Brothers. It's attached below!
Last Edit: Jun 26, 2016, 07:18 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

I actually have a 9:33 min version of Open Up. It starts off with a whitenoise (no pun intented) type of sound, a sort of hissing almost like a plane that takes off and then cuts right into Open Up's typical beep/bass sound.

I've also got an mp3 rip of Chemical Beats with an intro which actually is the sound effect they use throughout the track that sounds like a squeaking door. Along with that there's a male voice sample stating "take this brother" and a two-note bassline. That version I've got is 5:41 min long.

I for one have been looking for the extended version of Get Yourself High for a long time. It's got this awesome extended big beat drum style part towards the end that I love so much about the track. I had it once or at least I heard it once on a mix album or something but can't exactly remember where it was on.
Last Edit: Jun 26, 2016, 09:51 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Isn't the full Chemical Beats version on Fourteenth Century Sky E.P.?

Quote from: Csar on Jun 26, 2016, 09:32

I've also got an mp3 rip of Chemical Beats with an intro which actually is the sound effect they use throughout the track that sounds like a squeaking door. Along with that there's a male voice sample stating "take this brother" and a two-note bassline. That version I've got is 5:41 min long.
That is the Fourteenth Century Sky version
Last Edit: Jun 26, 2016, 11:20 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jun 26, 2016, 11:01

Isn't the full Chemical Beats version on Fourteenth Century Sky E.P.?
Yep, I think that's what Joslyn means by: original 12"

Chemical Beats - The original 12" has an intro before the beats drop.
But he wants to know:

Does a cd release excist of Chemical Beats with the intro?

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jun 26, 2016, 05:12

@skyscraper Track 12 is a short little trip-hop number - doesn't sound particularly Chemical Brothers. It's attached below!
Oh, thanks very much. It does sound trip hop -y. Where did this come from? The Japanese compilers got it from some top-secret source? I'm looking forward to your Chemical-ography database to see what other obscure shit I don't know about!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Csar on Jun 26, 2016, 09:32

I for one have been looking for the extended version of Get Yourself High for a long time. It's got this awesome extended big beat drum style part towards the end that I love so much about the track. I had it once or at least I heard it once on a mix album or something but can't exactly remember where it was on.

It can be found on the double vinyl:
https://www.discogs.com/Chemical-Brothers-Get-Yourself-High/release/207868
And the US maxi cd single (I'm still looking for that one to for a good price)
https://www.discogs.com/Chemical-Brothers-Get-Yourself-High/release/246118

Quote from: Joslyn on Jun 26, 2016, 15:13

It can be found on the double vinyl:
https://www.discogs.com/Chemical-Brothers-Get-Yourself-High/release/207868
And the US maxi cd single (I'm still looking for that one to for a good price)
https://www.discogs.com/Chemical-Brothers-Get-Yourself-High/release/246118

Thanks, Joslyn! Now I can track it down!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I not completely sure if it's a good idea to link/share it on the inofficial/official forum. Maybe it's better to do this via PM
no idea, no idea

I agree. Please send Southern a pm if you're interested but, please, don't share official stuff on here.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Hi Anybody got the audio of the longer EBW version of MAH?
Can Someone PM the link to listen or something?
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: JRSZ on Mar 29, 2019, 14:34

Hi Anybody got the audio of the longer EBW version of MAH?
Can Someone PM the link to listen or something?
don't wanna be that guy but same
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Kind of a Stretch but did anyone manage to save the full Recording of let forever be from Rockhall Last year? it used to be up but either it got taken down or it got copyrighted.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Found this from Ben_j

— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jun 29, 2019, 08:52

Found this from Ben_j

listened to that version countless of times, but sadly its the last video of it on youtube.

I recall seeing a version 2 days before Rock in rio aired, where it began at the end of believe and it went on for a good 6-7 minutes but cut off at the intro to swoon.
kinda hoping someone managed to save the audio to that.

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jun 29, 2019, 10:36
I recall seeing a version 2 days before Rock in rio aired, where it began at the end of believe and it went on for a good 6-7 minutes but cut off at the intro to swoon.
what

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jun 29, 2019, 15:26

what
there were 3 recordings of the track, Ben_j's recording, a 30 second recording of the end of believe segueing into the drums from LFB (I think was extracted from Instagram as it was up there too) and then the 6+ minute version that I can't find anymore

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jul 01, 2019, 08:46
then the 6+ minute version that I can't find anymore
Okay this is a 6 minute long video, not a 6 minute performance of Let Forever Be

JUST MY LUCK  :o

although I can see why it was swiftly replaced!
Last Edit: Jul 02, 2019, 04:58 by hstn
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

:o How even, I litterally scrolled through youtube for hours looking for the intro.