Further

Tom Rowlands reunites with director Joe Wright for Life Of Galileo

Started by neorev, Apr 26, 2017, 09:58

Previous topic - Next topic
TOM ROWLANDS REUNITES WITH DIRECTOR JOE WRIGHT TO COMPOSE ORIGINAL MUSIC FOR LIFE OF GALILEO

It has been announced that BAFTA winner Joe Wright's production of Brecht's masterwork Life of Galileo will be accompanied by an original score composed by The Chemical Brothers' Tom Rowlands.  Joe and Tom first collaborated on the 2011 feature film, Hanna. 

Tom Rowlands: "When Joe approached me with the idea I was excited at the thought of doing something totally new. I was also happy to rekindle my creative collaboration with Joe as he always makes something inspiring and stimulating."

Galileo uses the newly invented telescope to make ground-breaking discoveries about the planets that set him on a collision course with authority. In challenging the idea that the earth is the centre of the universe, he is challenging the all-powerful Roman Catholic Church. Brecht's timeless play about the conflict between science and dogma is more topical today than ever before.

Life of Galileo by Bertolt Brecht, translated by John Willett and directed by Joe Wright runs 6 May – 1 July 2017 in the Young Vic's Main House. Music is by Tom Rowlands, design by Lizzie Clachan with projections by 59 Productions, light by Jon Clark, sound by Tom Gibbons, puppet direction by Sarah Wright and movement by Javier de Frutos. Casting is by Julia Horan CDG. 

Performed in-the-round, Life of Galileo will transform Young Vic's Main House with design by Lizzie Clachan and projections by 59 Productions. The full cast is: Ayesha Antoine, Jason Barnett, Brendan Cowell, Billy Howle, Paul Hunter, Joshua James, Bettrys Jones, Alex Murdoch, Brian Pettifer, Anjana Vasan and Sarah Wright.

Bertolt Brecht was born in 1889 in Augsburg, Germany. He grew to maturity as a playwright in the twenties and early thirties and wrote such plays as Man Equals Man, The Threepenny Opera and The Mother. He left Germany when Hitler came to power in 1933, eventually reaching the United States in 1941, where he remained until 1947. During this period of exile, he wrote Life of Galileo, Mother Courage and Her Children and The Caucasian Chalk Circle. Shortly after his return to Europe in 1947, he founded the Berliner Ensemble and produced his own plays there until his death in 1956.
Brendan Cowell's theatre credits include: Yerma (Young Vic); The Wild Duck (Barbican, UK tour, Vienna and Amsterdam tour); Once in Royal David's City, Miss Julie (Belvoir, Sydney); The Dark Room (nominated for Best Actor at the Sydney Theatre Awards, Company B); True West, Dissident, Goes Without Saying (Sydney Theatre Company) and MEN (Old Fitzroy). His film credits include Last Cab to Darwin, Broke, Beneath Hill 60 (nominated for Best Actor in a Feature Film, Australian Film Institute Awards); Noise (winner of Best Actor in a Feature Film, Film Critics' Circle Awards). His television credits include: Brock, The Let Down, The Outlaw Michael Howe (also written and directed); The Borgias (Series 3) and Love My Way (nominated for Outstanding Performance by an Actor, ASTRA Awards, Most Popular TV Actor, Silver Logie Awards and Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series, TV Week Awards as well as contributing several episodes over three series). Credits as a writer (UK) include: Happy New (Trafalgar Studios), Rabbit (Frantic Assembly UK tour), The Slap (nominated for a BAFTA and Emmy Award)

Tom Rowlands is perhaps best known as one half of The Chemical Brothers, an electronic music duo formed with Ed Simons in 1992 and described by NME as "one of the most important groups in dance history". Some of their biggest hit singles include: Hey Boy Hey Girl, Galvanize, Setting Sun, Go and Block Rockin' Beats. To date, they have released eight studio albums, won four Grammy Awards, had six UK Number One albums and sold-out some of the world's largest arenas. In addition to writing the soundtrack to Hanna, which won a Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award for Best Music Score in 2011, The Chemical Brothers' work is also featured on Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan.
The Jerwood Assistant Director working with Joe Wright on Life of Galileo is Taio Lawson. The role is supported by Jerwood Charitable Foundation through the Jerwood Assistant Directors Program at the Young Vic.

The Young Vic:  www.youngvic.org  The Young Vic Press
See Life of Galileo: 
Saturday 6 May – Saturday 1 July 2017
Main House, Young Vic, 66 The Cut, Waterloo, London, SE1 8LZ
Press Night: Tuesday 16 May 2017, 7.00pm
Performances: Monday – Saturday at 7.30pm
Matinees on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 2.30pm (except 6, 10, 13, 17 May and 1 July)
Access Performances Captioned Performance: Tuesday 20 June at 7.30pm
Audio Described Performance: Wednesday 7 June at 2.30pm
Tickets: Previews 6 – 15 May £20, £10 | 17 May – 1 July £38, £29, £20, £10.
Concessions available.

Box Office: www.youngvic.org | 020 7922 2922
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/youngvicth

#LifeOfGalileo 

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-chemical-brothers/the-chemical-brothers-tom-rowlands-reunites-with-director-joe-wright-to-compose-/10154612743058358/

Woha! Exciting news, thanks for sharing, Neorev! I'm curious what kind of soundscapes Tom might come up with for a movie centered in the 15 to 16 hundreds.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch this one, unlike the previous flick Tom did the score for which still hasn't appeared in any German theaters yet.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

wow   :music
Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

Quote from: Csar on Apr 26, 2017, 10:41

Hopefully I'll be able to catch this one, unlike the previous flick Tom did the score for which still hasn't appeared in any German theaters yet.

Afraid not buddy. This is a play rather than a movie. Being performed at the Young Vic, the famous Old Vic theatre's new offshoot.

Definitely interesting though. I wonder if I can persuade the missus to accompany me for a night of high society art...
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

This is actually a play? The music will be previously recorded and not played live. The score might be more conventional in stead of electronic soundscapes like Hanna. Story sounds cool, would consider traveling to London to see it. Will be anticipating the reviews of the play and certainly the music in it.

looks like Modern Tate Rock Drill all over

Quote from: Enjoyed on Apr 26, 2017, 11:34

Afraid not buddy. This is a play rather than a movie. Being performed at the Young Vic, the famous Old Vic theatre's new offshoot.

Definitely interesting though. I wonder if I can persuade the missus to accompany me for a night of high society art...
I should apply for the forum's stupidest-post award contest... Should have read more thoroughly.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Apr 26, 2017, 20:23

I should apply for the forum's stupidest-post award contest... Should have read more thoroughly.

flibfbbly fblobby blooooo

rrgraaaa mmmmmmrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have taken your crown
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 27, 2017, 23:27

flibfbbly fblobby blooooo

rrgraaaa mmmmmmrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have taken your crown
Prove it!
— Aurora (The Seed)

Imagine if Here Come The Drums got played really loud in a party sequence. With the cast doing groovy disco dancing to it. Well, just a thought.

Oh also,

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on May 14, 2017, 19:14

Imagine if Here Come The Drums got played really loud in a party sequence. With the cast doing groovy disco dancing to it. Well, just a thought.

Oh also,

I'll eat my hat if this isn't a sound of Rowlands' :)
— Aurora (The Seed)

Listen from 20.14. Includes snippets of music playing underneath Tom (shut up Tom!  :) )

https://twitter.com/BBCFrontRow/status/864544733300875264

Incidentally, director Joe Wright who directed Hanna also directed Atonement, Pride & Prejudice and Anna Karenina, all starring Keira Knightly. Keira is married to James Righton of Klaxons, whose final album was produced by Tom. Righton now makes music as 'Shock Machine' and has co-written a 'song' with Tom for the play called: "The horrible beliefs and opinions of Master Galileo Galilei, physicist to the court - or A Foretaste of the Future'.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Did you notice the sound when he talks about the "Sun progression" sounds a lot like the intro to Music:Response ?

Thanks for sharing, Skyscraper!
Geez, I feel like a dog having a bone dangling in front of me. I also feel like a goose while listeing, because there are bumps all over my skin. I want that!

Quote from: Ben_j on May 17, 2017, 11:41

Did you notice the sound when he talks about the "Sun progression" sounds a lot like the intro to Music:Response ?
Yes, the beginning does sound like MR's intro, indeed!
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'd really like to see this play.
— Aurora (The Seed)

:music

I've been dreaming of a very synthy spacey atmospheric Chemical Brothers record recently, for the last few months. Something that plays very close to their melody writing and fondness for analog synthwork, like those gushing bleeps you hear from videos of modular jams done in a Chemical style. And as if my dream sprang to life, this was announced!

God, I would love to see this. My sound design minor at my university is done through the theatre department, and I've gained an incredible amount of appreciation for theatre and the work that goes into it. This play is almost everything I could dream of. That gorgeous in-the-round planetarium style set up is amazing - it looks to be a very intimate show!

But of course, my bank account stares me in the face and says no, Caleb, you can't afford to fly to London in a week's time.

Desperately hope the soundtrack gets a small release, but I doubt it will. It'll sit in an archive somewhere, never to be released or leaked. Just like U2's pre-Achtung Baby experimental soundtrack for A Clockwork Orange, where the only hints are on a b-side release and a rare video or two, that delicious sounding trailer is probably all we'll get. (I'm saying this so I can be happily surprised later on!)
Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:24 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Just bought tickets to go see the play in a couple of weeks with my beautiful fiancée.

V excited  ;D
dancesoitallkeepsspinning