The Brothers Gonna Work It Out

Big Beat

Started by Nils VIP, Aug 28, 2015, 20:24

Previous topic - Next topic
So, does anyone have any good big beat album recommendations (except Chems/Fatboy)? Stuff I have to hear.

Indian Ropeman -  Elephantsound

The Herbaliser ‎– Blow Your Headphones

Headrillaz ‎– Coldharbour Rocks

Resident Filters ‎– Big Train

The Ballistic Brothers ‎– London Hooligan Soul

Deejay Punk-Roc ‎– Chicken Eye

Soul Of Man ‎– Between The Eyes

Bentley Rhythm Ace ‎– Bentley Rhythm Ace (and For Your Ears Only)

Psychedeliasmith ‎– Different Folks For Different Strokes EP

Hardknox ‎– Hardknox

Cut La Roc ‎– La Roc Rocs

Lo-Fidelity Allstars ‎– How To Operate With A Blown Mind

Space Raiders ‎– Don't Be Daft

Environmental Science (Every Ep till 1999)

And if you can get it, there's some compilations albums like: Brassic Beats Compilations, Big Beat Elite Compilations, Beats by Dope Demand Compilations, Give'em Enough Dope Comps, Dope on Plastic Comps, and many more that I don't remember at the moment.
Last Edit: Aug 28, 2015, 22:20 by Nekcore

Properllerheads - Decksandrumsandrockandroll
Spoiler

Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley Rhythm Ace
Spoiler

Jon Kennedy - Useless Wooden Toys
Spoiler

David Holmes - Let's get killed
Spoiler

Overseer - Wreckage
Spoiler

FC Kahuna - Machine says yes
Spoiler

Death In Vegas - Dead Elvis
Spoiler

Roudoudou - Listener's Digest (well it could arguably be called downtempo/trip hop but it still has a strong big beat influence)
Spoiler

Pepe Deluxé - Super Sound
Spoiler
Last Edit: Aug 28, 2015, 23:10 by Ben_j

^^^^ ALL OF WHAT THEY SAID ^^^^

But especially Propellerheads, FC Kahuna, Indian Ropeman and Bentley Rhythm Ace. Some of my favourite albums of all time.

Those Big Beat Elite compilations go for nice and cheap on eBay if you are looking for them.

Get yourself any of the first three FSUK CDs too.
Last Edit: Aug 28, 2015, 23:39 by Enjoyed
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Is The Crystal Method's Vegas in deal? Or my recommendation is too obvious? :-[
Meow meow meow
Sound sound sound

Cirrus - Drop the Break / Back on a Mission / Counterfeit
Spoiler

Propellerheads - DecksDrumsAndRockAndRoll
Torpedo Boyz - Headache Music
Spoiler

Mint Royal - On the Ropes
Spoiler

The Wiseguys - The Antidote / Executive Suit
Spoiler

ILS - Bohemia / Idiots Behind the Wheel / Paranoid Prophets / Soul Trader (a great great artist, highly recommended!)
Spoiler

In Alium - Troubadour E.P. (recently discovered, big beats mixed with medieval music)
Spoiler

Bonobo - Animal Magic / Dial M for Monkey (maybe not strictly punchy big beat but similar)
Pretty Lights - A Color Map of the Sun (various styles but also big beatish tunes on it)
Spoiler

RJD2 - In Rare Form (mainly hip hop sounds but all instrumentals, they have something in common, I guess, recommended: The Polyphonic Spree - Soldier Girl (Rjd2 Remix), also RJD2's Breezblock Mix)
Spoiler

Skeewiff - It's All Gone
Spoiler

Wagon Christ - Musipal (maybe a bit more trip hoppish, but oh well)
Some Rae & Christian might also be of interest
Last Edit: Aug 29, 2015, 12:09 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 28, 2015, 23:37

Get yourself any of the first three FSUK CDs too.
Oooh yes, those are pure gold. Fatboy Slim's "On the floor at the boutique" mix album too, it's probably my favourite Big Beat mix.

Edit : oh yeah the Wiseguys album. How could I forget that one ?
Last Edit: Aug 29, 2015, 20:57 by Ben_j

It's not really big beat but I would recommend checking out Plump Dj's - Eargasm, Plump night out and Saturday night lotion.

Don't forget the album "Two" by Utah Saints !

Quote from: ACIDCHILDREN on Aug 29, 2015, 20:48

It's not really big beat but I would recommend checking out Plump Dj's - Eargasm, Plump night out and Saturday night lotion.

Yup yup yup. And while we're talking about Finger Lickin' Records... Drumattic Twins - Drumattical and the first two Finger Lickin' Thang compilations are kinda big beat ish.
Top, top albums either way.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 29, 2015, 22:14

Yup yup yup. And while we're talking about Finger Lickin' Records... Drumattic Twins - Drumattical and the first two Finger Lickin' Thang compilations are kinda big beat ish.
Top, top albums either way.

Elite Force, Adam Freeland, Soul of man and Meat Katie are also worth a mention.

For me, labels are kinda screwy especially when it comes to categorizing artists (ahem, for example, the artist this site is dedicated to).  'Big Beat" had quite a few elements (including acid and a pop structure er ish catchiness), but for me, Hip Hop was the key.  Therefore, some of these artists may venture into "trip hop," "breaks" or dnb at times...

Some British guys named Tom and Norman...or maybe it was Ed and Norman?  I don't remember.  Anyway, I don't think the Tom and Ed guys lasted...
Propellerheads
Bentley Rhythm Ace
Wagon Christ (aka Luke Vibert)  The Luke Vibert/BJ Cole album "Start The Panic" is magical btw.
Apollo 440.  "Electric Glide In Blue" is definitely better, but "Getting High On Your Own Supply" still has some pretty decent stuff on it.
Coldcut.  Check out "Beats + Pieces" and "More Beats + Pieces."  If you like that, check out more.  Then listen to "Journeys By DJ" and find out what a dj mix is supposed to sound like. 
Jadell
Wiseguys
Fantastic Plastic Machine
DJ Punk Rock
Death In Vegas
Funki Porcini (check "Wicked, Cruel, Nasty, Bad" & "The Ultimately Empty Million Pounds" album).
The Herbaliser
London Funk All Stars
Overseer
Midfield General
Lionrock
Freestylers
Dub Pistols
David Holmes
Skeewiff
Groove Armada
Monkey Mafia
Sabres Of Paradise

I completely failed to mention that "Storm The Studio" by Meat Beat Manifesto very well could change your life. 

Cheers for all the recommendations, folks. Here's one from me:

Last Edit: Aug 30, 2015, 11:40 by Nils VIP

I used to love this compilation, if you can find a copy or download of it on line somewhere
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Essential-Skint/release/112587

Epic reccomendations here!

My two cents: get a copy of Junkie XL's soundtrack for SSX Blur. It's a fantastic modern big beat record, good if you're looking for something nearer the pop end of the spectrum. Here's a track from it:

You also may have heard some of the tracks before, many have been licensed for advertising and TV through Extreme Music, they pop up in ads and shows every several months and it's a nice surprise to hear them.
Never for money, always for love.

These are all great suggestions. I must say though, there's really nothing that we can compare to the Chem's sound. I've been digging & digging to find 90s breakbeat tracks to go with the Chem's old sound for a mix I want to make, though nothing is just on that same level...

no, nothing else quite is.  :)

Brothers have always been special and ahead of their time :)

Some tunes I like:

A Skillz feat. Krafty Kuts - Happiness
Spoiler

Refunk - It's Groovy
Spoiler

Cinematic Orchestra - Man With the Movie Camers
Spoiler

Plump DJs - Black Jack
Spoiler

Shirley Bassey - Big Spender (Wilde Oscar Mix)
Spoiler

Freestylers - Get Down Massive
Spoiler

Linkin Park (:D) - Session
Spoiler

Dylan Rhymes - Sugar DJ
Spoiler

DJ Mink - Can You Relate
Spoiler

Malente and Fort Knox Five - Open
Spoiler

Soul of Man - Between the Eyes
Spoiler

Drumattic Twins - Feelin Kinda Strange
Spoiler

Depth Charge - Shaolin Buddha Finger
Spoiler
Last Edit: Sep 12, 2015, 08:16 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Couldn't post this in the other post as it would cut off the rest of the list there (maybe due to beatport?)

Le Hammond Inferno - F.S.B.
http://classic.beatport.com/track/f-s-b-original-mix/278968#

>>>> Baba O'Riley - The Who (ILS remix) <<<<
Spoiler

You Are Here - Atomic Hooligans (ILS remix)
Spoiler
Last Edit: Sep 12, 2015, 08:43 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)