Life Is Sweet

2015 - North Coast Music festival - chicago

Started by chemreact, Jun 30, 2015, 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

So due to 65 N being completely fucked south of Lafayette, it looks like my route will not be the standard 74 E from Cincinnati to 65 N to Chicago.   Looks like I'll now be taking 74 E all the way to Champaign, Illinois to 57 N to Chicago.  WTF Indiana?   

Indiana highways that funnel to Chicago are always under construction. They get horribly weathered (especially in the winter time) and is abused by countless inbound/outbound semis.

Additionally, I would tack on expectation of at least an extra hour of driving. Midwesterner's love their labor day weekend, and it's gonna packed out there.

The weekend is here. This is actually happening. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never for money, always for love.

I am going all 3 days. If anybody else is, hit me up on the private message and we can meet up.

I am really excited for Widespread Panic tomorrow. I was hoping to make it to Wale, but I get out of work a little too late for him. Joe Russo's seems like my kind of early evening band. No Glitch Mob or Knife Part for me. Widespread should be a great crowd.

If I cannot make it for Wale, I will probably go to Salva. From the few snippets, it seems to be Future Bass. Wait IT'S A TRAP.

Saturday, I hope to get there in time for Booka Shade. Shpongle looks like a must see. If anything, it will be weird and fun. I can catch the last part of Chromeo, since everyone loves them apparently, while I listen to the Roots on the other stage and wait for D'Angelo.
Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015, 04:32 by androidgeoff
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hippy.

I need a report on two things. What's the size of 312 stage, and how is the security search at the gate?

(only going Sunday)
Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015, 04:34 by Bosco

Quote from: androidgeoff on Sep 04, 2015, 04:21

I am going all 3 days. If anybody else is, hit me up on the private message and we can meet up.

I am really excited for Widespread Panic tomorrow. I was hoping to make it to Wale, but I get out of work a little too late for him. Joe Russo's seems like my kind of early evening band. No Glitch Mob or Knife Part for me. Widespread should be a great crowd.

If I cannot make it for Wale, I will probably go to Salva. From the few snippets, it seems to be Future Bass. Wait IT'S A TRAP.

Saturday, I hope to get there in time for Booka Shade. Shpongle looks like a must see. If anything, it will be weird and fun. I can catch the last part of Chromeo, since everyone loves them apparently, while I listen to the Roots on the other stage and wait for D'Angelo.

Dude.  Don't miss on Friday Quantic (who is playing the same time as Dirty Dozen Brass Band, which is just cruel) or Dj Heather.  As for Saturday, Roy Davis Jr. overlaps with Chromeo (who I think is overrated) and The Roots (who you should not miss one second of because...duh).

I could not possibly see Quantic. I am not even out of work by the time their set starts and I am a ways away. Would love to if I could! Dirty Brass seems fun, but the same issue as with Quantic applies. Curse time!!!!

whats up with all this news about shootings in Chicago? I know its nothing new but why NOW?!?!? >:(

Quote from: chemreact on Sep 04, 2015, 05:06

whats up with all this news about shootings in Chicago? I know its nothing new but why NOW?!?!? >:(

It's summer.  Crime goes up as soon as it gets warm every year.

Don't worry, NCMF is not in a bad neighborhood. :)

The shootings are in very specific neighborhoods in Chicago. The media has a hard-on misrepresenting Chicago as if it is a giant war zone. It is a safe city, just don't go to places like Cabrini Green.

lol I live near Detroit so I shouldn't complain about crime

I made a custom last minute shirt for the show this weekend. Feel free to say hello if you see me. Love me some Salmon Dance!

The only crime that can happen this weekend is one where we don't get Reel'd

O:-)

Oh my... Seems like I made it safely outta Chicago after all. During my visit there, I thought I check out Washington Park, because it looked quite nice on the map. I then realized that it was quite a poor neighborhood where I looked so misplaced and touristic that I thought I needed to get my ass outta there as quick as possible.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Day 1 was fun.
8 dollar Heineken is not.
The water station is a fucking joke. Little water fountains. Half of them were broken at 4 PM. Almost all were broken, I heard, towards the end.

Fucking around on water is irresponsible and potentially dangerous.  This seems to be a trend at festivals this summer...

As far as the Heineken goes...

Hard Fest had multiple stations with at least 16 high powered spouts that are like the water bottle refill spouts in offices/schools. Only until the later hours did the water become slow pouring.

That should be the standard. Seeing rusty water fountains with low water flow is quite embarrassing. It is as if they want people to be in danger, drug usage or not. It is HOT this weekend. If the Chems were not playing, I would not go to North Coast.

At least water's free. That's at least a little progressive. But it's basically Tatooine out here in the midwest this week, they should be doing a lot better.
Never for money, always for love.

Yeah. I just always have 2-3 water bottles on me and do big fill ups every few hours to replenish all of them. Water is 2 dollars inside, 1 dollar outside (if you purchase from non-associates selling outside the festival). Liquor is not worth the price at all. I honestly did not see many people with drinks and not many people were going up to the imbibe areas. If the beer prices were 5 dollars, people would be flocking to it. I don't understand the decision to sell high priced beer when people can just sneak in liquor. If you have a reasonable price, a la selling Steam games at reduced prices, people are more willing to purchase it instead of illegally sneaking it in. Also, Goose Island's fulton brewpub is RIGHT THERE. Pitchfork has them serving beer, why not North Coast?