Turn Off Your Mind, Relax, and Float Downstream

Surrender Box Set Coming Soon

Started by inchemwetrust, Apr 29, 2019, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: CheManuel on Nov 15, 2019, 10:45

The eBay listing said 'more than 10 copies available' last night. Now it has sold out both eBay and the website.

Far out, that was quick. I grabbed a copy as soon as it went live.

Quote from: Ben_j on Nov 15, 2019, 09:11

There's a (short) preview too! Did anyone catch one or received one yet? Mine is still on the way

EDIT: longer preview here :
https://www.phonicarecords.com/product/chemical-brothers-out-of-control-21-minutes-of-madness-umc/164111

Ed also posted a little snippet on his Instagram. Sounded preeeeeeety yummy.
EDIT: And it's on Facebook...
Last Edit: Nov 15, 2019, 20:54 by Enjoyed
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Their official YT channel already released the 21 minute version

May be subject to region blocking, though.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Nov 15, 2019, 23:50

Their official YT channel already released the 21 minute version

May be subject to region blocking, though.
Well that was rather... Underwhelming :(
Sounds more like a sound check jam than a proper new version of OOC. I was expecting something leaning more towards Enjoyed than OOC in repeat with delay effects on the voice...

abstinence makes the heart grow fonder

(I'll wait to hear it fresh on vinyl)

I actually went to a store like they wanted us to do. but they didn't have it. so I came home and ordered it from bullmoose.

Oh so this is definitely the mix Erol Alkan played when I saw him in June - works really well in a DJ set

Does anyone else kinda feel buying this release is just super WEIRD.

Kind of crossing that thin line of being a massive life-long fan and becoming a soulless collector?

I mean, most of us from the old forums already have 99% in this release on wax in some way or another.

I'm excited about the Kate Gibb prints to make a cool poster, but for that price(+shipping) you could buy one of the new cool original silkscreens she's making that are freaking awesome and support her in a real way.

Not hating at all, but none of us is gonna even play these records, like you don't want f em up cause of their value. The compilation is just gonna gather dust somewhere. Half the fun with the Chems releases it's playing around with the records and after 10+ years they're usually just done and you buy another cheap copy of the 12" single..

It's really not about the money; Yes, if it's a amazing package for a classic like Surrender we all love and it's without a doubt an extremely important piece of art, it's worth it... but still this is not the Chemical spirit.

If they go the way of Massive Attack and making extremely high price releases... like that's it, I'm not fucking with that.

Love the Chems, always will, and hope they do great forever but this direction has me worried.

Does anybody else feel conflicted or I'm I just tripping hard?

Btw, thanks WhiteNoise for the tempban 4y ago, did great on my finals back then lol, guess I'm back

Quote from: Mob1 on Nov 16, 2019, 21:20

Not hating at all, but none of us is gonna even play these records, like you don't want f em up cause of their value. The compilation is just gonna gather dust somewhere.
I agree with most of what you said, but not this. I drop money on vinyl to play it, not to have it sitting around sealed so I can look at it. I'm not hating either, I'm just not a collector.

Kind of crossing that thin line of being a massive life-long fan and becoming a soulless collector?

not all of us are in the "already have 99% of this" boat. I have not even heard most of the bonus material. heck I hadn't owned a legitimate copy of Surrender until the vinyl re-press a few years back. (this actually is pretty common for me - in particular for music that was originally released during a period of both limited personal income and internet piracy taking off - re-issues and box sets are often the first time I purchase it, once it has stood the test of time.)

however my purchase of the white label is pretty soulless, I will admit that. stupid numbered edition taking my money.

I would normally agree, as I borderline minimalist, but my promo copy of Surrender is starting to show its age and it's been the most enjoyed and listened album in my life thus far.

If they sell funkopop Tom and Ed I'll draw the line there.

Quote from: shakermaker on Nov 18, 2019, 00:28

I have not even heard most of the bonus material.

Oh boy! You're in for a freakin' treat! Oh to be able to hear all those b-sides again for the first time...
You'll have to let us know what your impressions are when you hear all those things!

To respond to Mob1

The game has changed. Record sales (despite the resurgence of vinyl) are nil. So the "soulless" collectors market is the only way to really garner attention if you want to sell physical media. This is just a celebratory package for those who may have missed out in that era, or to those that might cherish it (us).

It's expensive and not totally fulfilling (for the majority of us here). But that's the cost of marketing obsolete media in todays world.

I just looked up on iTunes and the digital anniversary album with psychedelic mixes and remixes is being pre-sold at $17.99. That's pretty reasonable IMO. Could be an option if the cost is bothering you. Plus, any DVD material will surely end up on YouTube.

I personally haven't pre-ordered a copy of anything other than the white label 'Out of Control'. Hell, I still don't own 'No Geography', yet. If you ask me, my current actions are a signifier of how much streaming music has wean my desire for physical media.
Last Edit: Nov 18, 2019, 21:42 by Bosco

21 mins of boring. Glad, that i'm not buying this overrated and expensive release enjoying classic edition and having one of australian, and of course all the singles from that era.

P.S. They can release this jams freely, who bought the digital releases of this album, truly. But we.. we already have this album in a lot of bunches of a physical releases.
Last Edit: Nov 18, 2019, 21:34 by Explud
Hi Kevin!

Sorry for the dead kitten, but in all of this I see a note of bullying for sincere fans.
Hi Kevin!

Meh, I think you're overreacting and being unreasonable.

As far as we know, these alternate versions are from 20+ years ago. They seemingly were never supposed to be released to the public. Releasing them in physical form was merely incentive for the dedicated fanbase to seek interest about this anniversary release.

Is it appropriately priced? Probably not. Is there truly anything of significance for a dedicated fan in this release? That's to be determined.

The truth is this was probably not their idea to do an anniversary release. They were probably advised that this would be the right time to do something like this, because 5-10 years from now (25th Anniversary, 30th Anniversary) The Chemical Brothers will be further removed from relevancy. You might as well sell something while you still are in the publics eye, your target demographic are still alive and spending money, and physical media is still a "thing".

OMG! THE CHEMS WANT ALL MY MONIEZZZ!!!

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 18, 2019, 22:29
Releasing them in physical form was merely incentive for the dedicated fanbase to seek interest about this anniversary release.
This.

Don't know what you guys are expecting from these releases. They're not going to be magical incredible new versions, they've already put out what I'm sure they felt the best mixes of these songs were. Maybe "secret psychedelic mix" hyped it up a bit much. It's a cool peek behind the scenes from a band that hasn't allowed a lot of that (we've basically had leaks to keep us warm).

The more you guys moan about how "boring" these mixes are, the less likely we're going to get more of em.

The $$$ is for the packaging like Bosco said. We're all just here for the music aren't we?

Speaking of the music I LOVE where the jam goes from around 12:30 on. Bassline just goes off.

Btw, thanks WhiteNoise for the tempban 4y ago, did great on my finals back then lol, guess I'm back
Lol I randomly remembered doing this a few months ago and checked up on you, only to see you hadn't returned, welcome back.
Never for money, always for love.

i guess i'm a sucker for looking forward to having all this on vinyl for the first time and for getting all the cool artwork :/
Eight or over.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Nov 18, 2019, 23:25

They're not going to be magical incredible new versions, they've already put out what I'm sure they felt the best mixes of these songs were. Maybe "secret psychedelic mix" hyped it up a bit much. It's a cool peek behind the scenes from a band that hasn't allowed a lot of that (we've basically had leaks to keep us warm).

Completely agree. I put this boxset in the same world as the recent Underworld anniversary boxsets. A remastered version of the album, a bunch of demo versions of songs I know and love with an occasional "new" track thrown in (that, despite being a lot of fun to dive into - are never as good as the album tracks), lots of great design work and writing, and a beautiful piece of art to house everything in - tying up what is a well meaning and enjoyable look back at a particular era in a bands' journey.

This boxset doesn't have quite as much "new" stuff as those Underworld collections, but Rik&Karl are particularly known for jamming their little hearts out and recording a multitude of different versions of tracks - heck, they're still doing it now with Drift. Tom&Ed on the other hand - not so much.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Nov 19, 2019, 05:25

Completely agree. I put this boxset in the same world as the recent Underworld anniversary boxsets. A remastered version of the album, a bunch of demo versions of songs I know and love with an occasional "new" track thrown in (that, despite being a lot of fun to dive into - are never as good as the album tracks), lots of great design work and writing, and a beautiful piece of art to house everything in - tying up what is a well meaning and enjoyable look back at a particular era in a bands' journey.

This boxset doesn't have quite as much "new" stuff as those Underworld collections, but Rik&Karl are particularly known for jamming their little hearts out and recording a multitude of different versions of tracks - heck, they're still doing it now with Drift. Tom&Ed on the other hand - not so much.

The Underworld boxsets have loads of great stuff on them and the Drift series has been absolutely amazing.

From the 2 psychedelic mixes we've heard, I'm not blown away, but still cool to have.

I think I am more excited about the Japan bonus live disc, but I am just not in the position right now financially to spend over a $100 on something like that, which truly guts me as Surrender is like my top 5 album of all time. I wanna hear that live disc so bad and afraid I won't get to. I wish they would just release it digitally.