Me, You, And Me, Him And Her, And Them Too

The Prodigy (official thread)

Started by ThePumisher, Jul 23, 2015, 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic
I was gonna meet the guys in NYC, but I doubt they will do the tour now. Such a sad day.  :'(

Lost for words really , poor Keith , us fans always think these people in bands are generally having a pretty good time , with money and fame , world tours etc.
" Everybody  jumpin out of their mind  "

no  :'(
Meow meow meow
Sound sound sound

This sucks. Its 5 in the morning here and I couldn't sleep, thinking too much and woke up to this.

Its always hard to believe to why it happened but the mind is a powerful thing for good and bad when you can't escape your own. (assuming it might've been mental health).
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

A great profile of Keith as a person and as "rave on legs"

New Statesman
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Just Can't belive...
The Person who helped me with my depression lost his own fight...
We Love you Keith... Legends never die they will be always alive in our hearts!
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Last Edit: Mar 04, 2019, 20:21 by Bob Chipezka

In 2005 I was attending what would be my 3rd Coachella out of 15 in a row.  This was back when Coachella was just starting to make a name for themselves. Looking back at the lineup, I'm in awe of the talent that was there that weekend. Saturday I had the pleasure of seeing The Chems do a magical set in the Sahara tent for their Push The Button Tour.  But if I am being honest, it was Sunday nights lineup that I was drooling over. It was Nine Inch Nails first show back after Trent got sober, and the wonder in the air what that would be like was taking over.  They didn't disappoint.  After Nails was The Faint on the Outdoor Theater. Craziness all around in every direction.  So things are starting to kick in and they were kicking in good.  It was time to make my way over to The Prodigy.  I literally bounced the entire length of the polo fields into a Sahara tent that was JUST GOING OFF!!!!

The energy within that tent was like something I never have witnessed before and in the state of mind I was in, I had to get swallowed by it.  I looked at my friends and said something along the lines of "I'm going to the front!!!!" They just looked at me and said, "See ya later!" And I was off.  Never in my life did I let a band take control of my soul the way I let The Prodigy.  I was theirs. It was a hot, sweaty, dirty, mess of half naked bodies jumping in unison, arm in arms losing our absolute asses off to whatever was happening on stage.  I can clearly remember Flinty coming to the edge of the stage where I was and just looking at all of us with his tongue out, sweat dripping off his head, and locking eyes with each and every one of us. It was manic! It was wild.  It was pure, raw, electricity in the air that the band was giving to the fans and the fans were giving back to the band. It is an absolute blur except for certain frames.

When it ended, I pretty much collapsed outside the tent in the best possible way.  My friends found me and were like, are you ok?  I couldn't have been any better.

I'm not going to say I was a huge Prodigy fan, or that I really listened to them all that often lately, but that one show was a show that I will take with me forever.  It was a short moment in time when I was lost in the music and I would do anything to re-live that experience again.  RIP Flinty.  You shook the earth and lit it on fire!

Well, I never saw them live, or have deep emotional statement to make, but do I have meaningless anecdote that I can share.

Back when I was growing up, I had an alternative radio station here in Chicago (Q101 [now WKQX], remember that shotglass!) that had 4 tracks from the British "Big Beat" era that I was aware of and were in permanent rotation. Now that didn't necessarily mean they were played everyday, but they were part of a large collection of songs they had at the station that they would play on shuffle. Of that list, I remember Lo-Fidelity Allstars "Battleflag", Underworld "Born Slippy", Chemical Brothers "Block Rockin Beats", and The Prodigy  "Firestarter". At the time this was my only exposure to electronic music outside of the tidbits that MTV or MT2 would play to you late at night. I specifically recall catching some show about controversial videos with a strange looking Keith Flint terrorizing the screen in several music videos I would watch. I'll admit he spooked me at the time, but I was becoming enamored with the music.

It's been said several times over already, music is gonna miss this icon. He's one of those legendary characters where you hope to see him older, hope he never changes his image, and maybe goof on him a little for looking like a crazy coot (George Clinton).

I do hope the band can pull it together. Not doubt it's a large defining piece that has left them, but I feel Keith wouldn't want this band to die out.

RIP Keith. You're an unforgettable kind of bloke.
Last Edit: Mar 04, 2019, 21:43 by Bosco

Quote from: Shotglass75 on Mar 04, 2019, 20:22

You and I had distinctly similar experiences at that Coachella. Seriously--it was like reading something that I would have wrote.

I was drunk and exhausted from the weekend during their set at Coachella in 2005, and I still managed to give every single ounce of my energy to them that night.

My appreciation for the Prodigy waned a bit in the past few years but god damn I never forgot them. And I always put on Fat of the Land with this evil fuckin' smile on my face.

Thank you Keith for bringing an energy that few others could, if at all.

You're a god damn fucking legend.

Quote from: Bosco on Mar 04, 2019, 21:34

Well, I never saw them live, or have deep emotional statement to make, but do I have meaningless anecdote that I can share.

Back when I was growing up, I had an alternative radio station here in Chicago (Q101 [now WKQX], remember that shotglass!) that had 4 tracks from the British "Big Beat" era that I was aware of and were in permanent rotation. Now that didn't necessarily mean they were played everyday, but they were part of a large collection of songs they had at the station that they would play on shuffle. Of that list, I remember Lo-Fidelity Allstars "Battleflag", Underworld "Born Slippy", Chemical Brothers "Block Rockin Beats", and The Prodigy  "Firestarter". At the time this was my only exposure to electronic music outside of the tidbits that MTV or MT2 would play to you late at night. I specifically recall catching some show about controversial videos with a strange looking Keith Flint terrorizing the screen in several music videos I would watch. I'll admit he spooked me at the time, but I was becoming enamored with the music.

It's been said several times over already, music is gonna miss this icon. He's one of those legendary characters where you hope to see him older, hope he never changes his image, and maybe goof on him a little for looking like a crazy coot (George Clinton).

I do hope the band can pull it together. Not doubt it's a large defining piece that has left them, but I feel Keith wouldn't want this band to die out.

RIP Keith. You're an unforgettable kind of bloke.

I still call it Q101. 3 out of 4 of those groups became some of my favorites in the early 00's.  Chems still to this day obviously. I'm not sure how they could dog it without him.  it would be so fucking sad to be Maxim and not have his brother to battle with on stage.  The guy is pretty much irreplacable unless the just hand it over to the crowd for the big parts.   

Quote from: MadPooter on Mar 04, 2019, 22:38

You and I had distinctly similar experiences at that Coachella. Seriously--it was like reading something that I would have wrote.

I was drunk and exhausted from the weekend during their set at Coachella in 2005, and I still managed to give every single ounce of my energy to them that night.

My appreciation for the Prodigy waned a bit in the past few years but god damn I never forgot them. And I always put on Fat of the Land with this evil fuckin' smile on my face.

Thank you Keith for bringing an energy that few others could, if at all.

You're a god damn fucking legend.

Amazing that someone else from here was at that set.  Be even crazier if we went apeshit together and had no clue. 

Thanks Flinty for taking me to outer space!

This. This right here is what I have been trying to express. Not sure why this one is hitting me as hard as it is today? Feeling a real sadness in my heart because when I experienced The Prodigy for the first time at Coachella in 2005, I literally just let myself go to another dimension. It's one thing to be into a show and dancing with the music. It's another thing to be completely overtaken by the energy that surrounds you and allow yourself to just let go of anything that would compel you to stop yourself. The fact that I was surrounded by a few thousand other maniacs made it all that more special. I can't see that happening like that again in my lifetime, which I guess is a bit sad to me. Anyway, Keith Flint deserves respect. He was like none other and there will never be another one like him.

If all this is true, it seems it was a number of events that led up to it for him to do it:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/prodigy-singer-keith-flint-speculated-he-would-take-his-own-life-years-ago/news-story/6ee37c5b239a7f3cba1073217c0f12d9

Have to admit, Keith and the rest of the prodigy (and the chemical brothers at same time) back then helped me through my forgettable teens. I never felt like I belonged to a 'group' in high school but listening to them reminded me that it was OK. Them being a bunch of creative misfits. This was when Grunge and Rock was still pretty big and whoever dared to use any electronic music was considered crap and not music. But these guys didn't give a shit and kept doing what they were doing anyway. And having Keith to carry that as a frontman and contributor definitely was influential and inspirational to many. Kind of made punk cool again as well for the new times.

Also probably the reason why I dyed my hair red, green and then silver.
Last Edit: Mar 05, 2019, 04:07 by MIKL
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

I really don't know what to say, we lost 2 good people this past 24 hours :'(, I wasn't a big prodigy fan but Firestarter, SMBU, Voodoo people, Jericho, Omen & outta space always had a special place in my heart. may Keith rest in peace.

(just realized Bob Chipezka posted the same picture above so I edited my post to another from the same gig)
Last Edit: Mar 05, 2019, 06:32 by Conn6orsuper117
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Oh, gawds... Rest in peace, Keith.
I never seen them live, and I had ticket in my pocket.
It was some years ago, they visited VIP Inmusic festival here in Zagreb, they were headlining second night, first night Nick Cave headlined and while concert was great, weather was terrible, rain pouring like crazy and whole festival soon looked like it was new Woodstock in progress.
I decided not to go next night for Prodigy, purely because of the weather, thinking I have a lot of time to see them again somewhere. Who could have known?
Kudos to you guys for changing background for Keith. It's very sweet.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!