Superflash - Numéro Un, Number One

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Oct 20, 2016, 17:11

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 18, 2016, 04:20

Screw you! Stannis is the true king! And Melisandre is a babe (despite her baggage [and haggage  ;)])!

I got a thing for cougars...

She's a handsome woman when she wears her necklace...
no idea, no idea

I am!
Watched first two (out of three?) episodes, it does build slowly, but cast (Hopkins!), directing, photography, sound and effects are quite good, reminds me of True detective first season quality.

Edit: wow, plot thickens, I'm really enjoying it.
Last Edit: Oct 26, 2016, 12:17 by sandelic
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

In the spirit of Halloween...

Most of these are pretty great.
The Most Terrifying Horror Shorts You Can Watch Online Right Now
Just skip the Vice 3:07am crap and maybe the last two, as they're a bit weird and not super scary.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 22, 2016, 20:26

Anyone else watching Westworld?

I'm really enjoying it. And the slow build to whatever is coming is nice and wholesome.
A fairly big ol' cast of well known talent too. Probably the most I've seen in on ongoing TV series.
I really love it. I really like the reflexion on AI, conciousness, etc.

Just finished with first episode and, gawds, it's exceptionally beautiful. Don't miss this.

I saw a clip of a hoard (a den) of snakes chasing a lizard. Insane.
Definitely going to sit down and watch them all soon.

In the mean time, I've finally managed to start watching the third season of Bojack Horseman.
Episode 4 is set underwater and is honestly incredible. The music and sound design are wonderful and you forget that the majority of the episode is completely without dialogue. Very impressive.
And the rest of the season continues to be excellent.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Nov 07, 2016, 18:33

I saw a clip of a hoard (a den) of snakes chasing a lizard. Insane.
You mean this one that Ed Simons retweeted?
https://twitter.com/MrLukeJohnston/status/795609403789635584
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: sandelic on Nov 07, 2016, 17:45

Just finished with first episode and, gawds, it's exceptionally beautiful. Don't miss this.
I'd love season one so much. Definetly going watch season.
no idea, no idea

Here we come across a curious man.
Little did he know, his curiosity would unfold a psychological dawning into the unknown.
Once highly celebrated, but now neglectfully omitted
is a common place for those
at least that journey to The Twilight Zone...

Spoiler
It's me, I'm the curious man!  :o

Just saw Assassin's Creed. It was terrible... Awfully stretched to last more than 1h10, incredibly slow and you're constantly asking yourself why are they doing this, and how does this work (and I've played the games). The only good point is the visuals. It looks really good, especially the parts in the past. The rest is garbage...

Just binge watched Netflix Stranger Things. This show is effing amazing. It's an 80s orientated sci-fi X-files style show. Incredible acted by kids refering to the Goonies, ET,the Thing, Alien, Poltergeist. Must See!

Fully agree on Stranger Things, show is a must see, it's like a perfect blend of Goonies and Twin Peaks!
Try it, you will not regret it.
I'm left with only one more episode of Sherlock (Cumberbatch and Freeman) and I must say I had a great time watching it, would recommend it to anybody who likes a good mystery. Or strange characters. Cases. Sherlock.

I just watched Arrival earlier tonight and damn that was a good sci-fi movie. A delightfully haunting soundtrack, as well!

Manchester by The Sea is one heavy load. It's worth the watch if you can handle Casey Afflek's acting style. I admit I'm a fan of his since his role as Robert Ford in The Assassination of Jesse James. Disappointing to hear about his sexual harassment lawsuits. 

Looking forward to checking in on Doctor Strange, Moonlight, Fantastic Beasts, Hell or High Water, and yes, La La Land. Tis the season to movie binge.
Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 08:13 by Bosco

I enjoyed Dr. Strange, too bad they
Spoiler
killed off Tilda Swinton, I liked her character very much

Fantastic beasts is pretty fun movie, just watched it yesterday, thank gawds it has nothing to do with Hogwarts or boy who lived.

Arrival: Good. Reminded me a little bit of Close Encounters crossed with...something else (Interstellar?). No "better than goofy golf" type dialogue though.
Dr Strange: Good.
Hell or High Water: Really good (in a low budget kinda way). It didn't occur to me the film would be nominated for Oscars when I watched it, but once it was, I was rooting for it.

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 28, 2017, 07:47

Manchester by The Sea is one heavy load. It's worth the watch if you can handle Casey Afflek's acting style. I admit I'm a fan of his since his role as Robert Ford in The Assassination of Jesse James. Disappointing to hear about his sexual harassment lawsuits. 

I think I'll wait 'til that one's on TV. I first noticed the younger Mr Affleck in The Killer Inside Me. That film reminds me not to always go by IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes scores, because its scores are terrible! Apparently the murdering of women is mysogynistic. Well, ok...
I wonder if the Oscar may do Casey more harm than good. Now that he's "famous" I suspect those harassment accusations are going to haunt him more than before. Lots of stuff on the internet showing Brie Larson on stage refusing to clap him as he received the award.

I wonder if it was a good idea to release two Amy Adams films at the same time (at least in the UK), the other one being Nocturnal Animals (it's Oscar snubs raising eyebrows in some quarters). This one's quite heavy too, and has also been accused of mysogyny. There's a story, and a story-within-a-story. It was one of those films that left me poring over the (now deleted) discussion boards on IMDB. Simultaneously intriguing and pretentious.

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 28, 2017, 07:47
Looking forward to checking in on... La La Land.
Hmm. I've heard enough negative comments about this movie, and seen enough clips/trailers to believe that I would not enjoy this film (although Eddy Chemical declared it the best film he's ever seen, I think). If LLL is meant to be some sort of celebration of Hollywood, then surely The Coen Brothers beat them to it with (the quite funny) Hail Caesar! Even then, I felt that Channing Tatum's (initially funny, kinda homoerotic) dancing sailors scene went on too long. So I'm really not sure that the less comedic song and dance stuff of LLL is going to hold my attention. Another one for TV; Christmas 2020 I imagine. At which point I'll say it was great!
Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 16:09 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: sandelic on Feb 28, 2017, 13:03

Fantastic beasts is pretty fun movie, just watched it yesterday, thank gawds it has nothing to do with Hogwarts or boy who lived.

Oh, but it does...  8)

I loved Fantastic Beasts. Combining my love of Harry Potter and my love of America, it was a tremendously enjoyable ride with a great soundtrack and lots of juicy references for us fans.
Really excited for the sequels.

Oh Logan: Four stars.
(Other than Deadpool I haven't paid to see an X-Men film since 2003. But THIS, this was good).
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Aug 10, 2016, 18:26

I didn't think she looked quite as stunning naked as I imagined (not that she looked bad or anything). And I don't remember seeing her naked plenty of times, but maybe that's just my memory. As for the film, yeah it was weird and somehow less fun than I thought it would be. But it kept me glued til the end.

She's also 'naked' in in the real action version of Ghost in the Shell and its possibly the 3rd time she's played a character with abnormal superpowers/alien like qualities. Under the Skin Score is amazing though and really added to the film. I liked the concept and felt uncomfortable yet intrigued by it which I think was the point.

If they fuck this remake up of GIS I'll be sad and have to watch the original anime and sequel to that again to wash it out of my head. It looks pretty but hopefully they don't dumb it down for western audiences and hopefully the Steve Aoki track he did doesn't make it in the film but the remake of this Depeche Mode track is OK:

(Also I'm guessing some of you might already know but in case others a bit younger think it reminds of them of the Matrix its because the Matrix was inspired by the original anime.)

Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 11:20 by MIKL
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Anyone watching Legion on FX?

Its layered and creative storytelling are on par with the quality of Netflix originals, and it falls under the X-Men mythos. I highly recommend it.

Also...Iron Fist next week. Yeah yeah.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?