For That Beautiful Feeling

Orbital

Started by Ben_j, Jan 31, 2017, 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Wow! What a show! Just got back. Orbital played 2 hours! The sound was great, really loud and lots of bass. The crowd was going insane and the Hartnoll brothers looked really into it and jammed a little bit when things were really going off. After Doctor? they asked if we wanted one more. Lush came on and they did an awesome jam out at the end. The whole place was wild and cheering at all the big moments. Paul got on the mic at the end and was like "Bloody hell! We really gotta come back here again. Who knew Brooklyn is this crazy?"

Intro w/ Professor Brian Cox
Monsters Exist
There Will Come a Time (We All Die Remix)
Impact
P.H.U.K.
Wonky
Tiny Foldable Cities
Satan
Hoo Hoo Ha Ha
Halcyon + On + On
Vision OnE
Belfast
Chime
Where Is It Going?
The End Is Nigh
Doctor?
Lush

I recorded some clips and took a few pics. Will post later, too tired after that. So happy I got to see them. If you have not seen them live, definitely go do it. They are powerful live.
Last Edit: Dec 05, 2018, 07:48 by neorev

oooooo what a set list

i am ready freddy
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

was great to see Enjoyed and Pooter

and then Orbital

I am tired as fuck

Since my cohorts aren't going to step up and post in detail, I'll do it.

First, the San Francisco show last Thursday.

It was a day that I had been waiting for for quite some time--the chance to see Orbital again after like 8 years. And it was turning out to be an extraordinary gathering.

Incidentally, we had people coming from Toronto (though indirectly), Portland, and Chicago. So it was at least a little significant with the idea of people coming from far away to see the show.

I headed to pick up Androidgeoff and Enjoyed from the airport, and to my surprise and delight, Enjoyed had brought with him a big box of Voodoo doughnuts fresh from Portland. Like, holy shit--fresh doughnuts from Portland. God damn.

After piling in the car, our first stop was In n Out. Because God forbid people come to California and not eat fucking burgers from that joint (those are good burgers, Walter). I had to admire the animal-style fries Enjoyed managed to order.

There was a call for beer by Androidgeoff, so we headed over to Magnolia brewery in my neighborhood. This was kind of a historic move: Twelve years ago, Whirlygirl and TooMuchStash had accompanied me to that very same brewery the first time I met them.

After the beers were had, darkness started to set in and it was time to start slowly heading toward the venue. Ish.

We set out in my auto for the Mission district in San Francisco toward my buddy's place where the remainder of our attendees were gathering. We picked up my girlfriend on the way, and we ended up hanging out and making tea prior to the show.

The tea was special. It was very, very special. One could even say it had psychedelic qualities.

We had a vehicle that seated 5. And there were 6 of us. So we did what any self-respecting group of party-goers would do, and we piled in.

The venue was the Midway--a warehouse-esque (or literally a warehouse that has been outfitted with a bar and stage area) space in the industrial part of San Francisco. The closest more-well-known neighborhood is referred to as the "Dogpatch." Not really a tourist destination.

We managed to find a place to park in front of some dodgy textile business. It wasn't clear the car would not be towed. Probably a good bet it wasn't.

I felt the tea immediately on getting out of the car. And the tea wasn't alone. But the world seemed a little more wobbly. And cold.

But thankfully there was not a long walk, and before too long we found ourselves inside.

And I felt like I was so much cooler than I was walking into that place. It had an impressive amount of space, but it felt small. And it was all chic. And well lit.

The place wasn't packed and it never filled up, but there were nonetheless a lot of folks that came out for the show.

We watched with enthusiasm as Lee Coombs got the crowd moving before Orbital came on. And it was with little warning that a "loading" symbol appeared, lit on stage behind the equipment.

There was a relatively simplistic design to their stage set up this time around. But nonetheless, as the one "loading" symbol became three, everyone cheered. And anticipation filled the air.

As the boys came on and started to play their new album, everyone was so happy to see them that, honestly, I got the impression that it didn't matter what of their songs they played: everyone was extraordinarily happy to be seeing Orbital after so long.

The highlights for me were Where Is It Going and Halcyon + On + On. The latter because my girlfriend recognized the track from a mix I had made for her years ago, and she also loved the 80s tracks running through the live version. The former because I felt a rather strong emotional connection to the track--it's nothing but positivity.

The one common consensus was that The End Is Nigh from the new album could have been left off the setlist. Enjoyable, but there was room for more older tracks.

Other than that, though--I love the fact that Paul and Phil were able to put on such an amazing performance despite decades passing in their careers.

Androidgeoff and Enjoyed are two of the most awesome folks to go to shows with, by the way. And you should be so lucky.

Unfortunately, Enjoyed claimed he had pressing issues back in Portland, so it left Androidgeoff and I to head down to Los Angeles to catch Orbital at a venue directly adjacent to the venue where Daft Punk recorded Alive 1997.

We had ourselves a rather short drive down the I-5, and we found ourselves at a beer store just before showtime. It all was rather seamless, actually.

I like that I got to know beers a little bit better in the last week, and I have Enjoyed and Androidgeoff to thank for that. And as Androidgeoff and I were enjoying our beers, incidentally, other Oribtal concert-goers ended up sharing a beer with us as well, as we were only a block away from the venue.

There was a certain camaraderie that was present at the LA show that I didn't get at the SF show. The people there were... obviously fucking dedicated.

It felt *AMAZING* to be a part of that dedicated energy. I loved every moment of the LA show and I actually was brought to tears a number of times during the show. Always a little awkward to have to take a moment for myself to get things the fuck together so I can just dance with the rest of the dorks.

The setlist was the same, but I could feel the energy in the crowd much more intensely. And it was weird, because honestly I was a little exhausted. But I had such a surge of intensity during that show that I don't know how to explain. I would have made that drive again to see that show in a heartbeat.

I am so thankful that everything worked out for the trip to see both shows--it was a decent reminder that someone, somewhere, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel. There was magic at every turn, and sparks shooting from unexpected places.

Thanks to Androidgeoff and Enjoyed for being such amazing companions. I keep being reminded that the people on this forum are, in fact, just fucking awesome.

And underneath it all, it was a glimpse at how amazing the trip in May is going to be for many of us as we catch the Chemical Brothers at 3 shows up the California coastline.

God bless you all and to all a good night.

Mr MadPooter

Thank you for the trip of a lifetime.

Your taste in music is so divine

I cannot wait for May

Enjoyed:

Yo 1 day is not enough, I need more of you in my life.

Very fun trip y'all

I will post some pictures soon, when I am not as busy with work.

Orbital's last concert of the year was at Manchester O2 Apollo (uk) , a grade II listed building with capacity of 3500 , . . awesome sound-system at this venue , . . nice & loud with deep bass (that you feel as well as hear). Intro done and 3 tracks into the set Orbital upped the bpm with Impact into PHUK into Wonky into Tiny Foldable Cities which sounded immense with its sonic-soundscape effect and sprawling metropolis visuals. Next up , Satan , so good live , pretty heavy . . so they lightened the mood after with Hoo Hoo Ha Ha and finished with Vision OnE . . great new track off latest album.

Encore was an awesome version of Doctor ? into Chime . . this still sounds fantastic , then , as they dismantled Chime the high-pitched notes of Where is it Going came in with perfectly matched visuals of the spinning planetary systems and universe explosions (from the One-Big Moment visuals 2012 tour) . . just mesmerising ,  at certain points it looked like Orbital and their Synth-rig  were travelling through time & space itself , clever stuff. Really glad the Hartnoll brothers settled their differences and got Orbital working again to make music , tour and bring the spectacle to the people. Catch them if you can , recommended.
" Everybody  jumpin out of their mind  "

Only going for Saturday because ORBITAL.  This will actually be my first time in Detroit for any reason. 

Not bad though. 

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Jan 24, 2019, 05:38

Only going for Saturday because ORBITAL.  This will actually be my first time in Detroit for any reason. 

Not bad though.

that takes place on my birthday 8)
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Absolutely legendary house and techno lineup for Movement this year. Unbelievably good. Might try to go myself if I'm not on the other side of the country!

@Planet Dust - don't sleep on Amelie Lens, Maya Jane Coles, Sterac, or Wajatta (Reggie Watts and John Tejada doing improvised acid rave live!)

Lineup for Monday's incredible too. Audion, Chris Lake, Green Velvet & Claude Vonstroke, Golf Clap, Griz, Mathew Jonson.
Never for money, always for love.

Oh Look, on Monday it's Heidi. She used to serve me in Phonica records. Always very patient when I came in with my crappy little lists. Then she moved to Berlin.

Artists that catch my eye at that festival are
Sat: LSD featuring Luke Slater.
         Josh Wink
         Carl Craig (I once saw him do a weird "live techno/jazz" performance with a full band including a brass section).
Sun: Dubfire (Deep Dish)
          Kevin Saunderson (the legendary!)
          Richie Hawtin
Mon: What WN said (well, except Chris Lake who can be a bit too cheesy/poppy. On the one hand he's worked with Green Velvet on the other hand he's worked with that cake throwing dick Aoki).
IT'S MORNING TIME!

How do y'all not mention fucking Madlib???

;D

Saturday ticket achieved.

Patiently waiting for Saturday afterparties...

Bring it.

Wajatta was just an absolute blast! 

Orbital was soooooo freaking good.  As much as I would've to have heard some Snivalization (no way), In Sides (seriously), or The Middle Of Nowhere (criminally underrated), this was such an amazing set.  I was so into the moment and my, uh, vibe atm, that I actually forgot about the breakdown during "Halcyon" when it dropped. 

Uggh.

Brings shivers of joy to read other people having such a good time at Orbital shows still.

Loved their set from December and can't wait to see them again.

I saw them in Brooklyn end of last year and they put on one hell of a show.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Dec 04, 2018, 03:18

Paul gives a studio tour:

Nevermind the synths. Pay attention to the whiteboard on the wall - there's notes on their live set and for their next album Orbital 30, which they've been talking about recently. It's planned to be a 30th anniversary compilation of new "live style" versions of all their classic tracks, and remixes from their contemporaries...

...listed on that board are Underworld, Aphex Twin, Leftfield, The Chemical Brothers, Utah Saints, The Prodigy, and (more of a newcomer) Bicep. Edit: and David Holmes and Vince Clarke

It's a fucking good time to be an Orbital fan.

David Holmes remix/rework of Belfast exists.
Jump to 1Hr 51. Bear in mind that Mixcloud won't let you jump back/rewind unless you're a subscriber or something. So you need to refresh the page if you want another go.
Is this better than the original? I don't think so. It's nice but it's like a dub or something.
https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/the-rotating-institute-with-justin-08042020/
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Orbital's looking to participate in Tim's Listening Party, held a poll on whether they should do Insides or Brown Album - and it virtually tied.

Ed voted Brown

https://twitter.com/eddychemical/status/1249357764478013442

https://twitter.com/lightb4sound/status/1249339971061907456
Last Edit: Apr 12, 2020, 23:18 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.