For That Beautiful Feeling

Free Yourself (New track)

Started by orangewedge99, Jul 03, 2017, 17:07

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 27, 2018, 20:06

And how do you know it's identical to the album version, unless you've heard the album?
'Cause it's often the true.
Hi Kevin!

Seems like none of you was taught as kids to not look into your stockings before Christmas Eve, now were you?!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I think I agree with all the picky critiques everyone has said and just to add:

The song deserves more of an assaulting underground old school rave vibe cause thats what the song reminded me of.

One thing that bugs me a little is that additional low pitched/male sounding vocal. I liked it without it. Theres something cool about her voice that's lost with that added with the contrast to the music.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: Explud on Sep 27, 2018, 19:08

I like the track, but, BUT..

2. I don't like the manner to release an album version of a track like single with crossfades

Quote from: Explud on Sep 27, 2018, 20:24

'Cause it's often the true.
Am I misunderstanding, or have you accidentally admitted that you know this single version is the same as the album version?
If you don't know that's the case, then I'm not sure why this would be a complaint about this single in particular.
I will add that it would be nice if there were some remixes though.

@MIKL, I think the low pitched voice was always there, it's just clearer now. I think that's what Explud was referring to when he said:
"5. Also i thought that pitched harmonizer on vocals is just for fun in live. Crap" in reply #136 on the previous page.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Unless the audio quality was poor but the DJ mix version of it didn't have that additional vocal effect? Either way, I don't think they need it. I thought it was a live thing they threw in at the time too.

Very, very, very happy with this tune. The details are great. It sounds a lot like Born in the Echoes tunes, which I'd not be pleased about, but there's a lot of minute changes and details in the song that set apart (and maybe above?) tracks like SIFSD and EML Ritual, which are a lot simpler. Like the way the siren slips out of sync at the end, and how certain synth lines change note patterns subtly, and the wild fills. There's a universe in here. I really love this depth in an otherwise very straightforward dancefloor single.

I'll say more later. My limited goal is to listen to singles minimally so that I'm kinda familiar with the song but I don't really "know" it by the time the album comes out. So I don't know if I'll listen to it again beyond today.

I get what Explud's saying about the intro of the song - it does sound like the start of Surrender (the song) for example, where it could conceivably begin immediately after the end of a track.
Last Edit: Sep 28, 2018, 00:45 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

And the folks bashing The Prodigy for repeating their sound from The Day Is My Enemy, this sounds like another Born In The Echoes track... and that is not a good thing.

I think what distinguishes the new Prodigy single from their previous albums Invaders Must Die and The Day Is My Enemy is the production, the new single is quite clean and powerful. Awesome low end, less dirty. The production on this new Chems single bugs me. I thought Born In The Echoes sounded too dry and tame, Free Yourself is the same.

I also agree, I don't like the pitch down male vocals either. Should just be the female vocal. That bugged me as well.

My first impression is this is such an intriguing track. To be honest I've not listened to much much live clips, so went in not knowing what to expect. It's fresh like that, I guess, haha. As others have mentioned, this is kind of vibing on Born In The Echoes, but I'm not decided yet if that's a positive or negative. Chems don't stagnate. I'm not sold on the vocal as to me they feel a tad bit flat and in such contrast to the textures in those bright bursts of quickly swirling siren-like sounds (my favorite parts of the tune, kind of reminds me of Flashback in a way.) But maybe that contrast is the balance this track is going for. Hmmm. Anyway. Again, first impressions of a rather intriguing track. Happy Friday!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Sep 28, 2018, 04:30

My first impression is this is such an intriguing track. To be honest I've not listened to much much live clips, so went in not knowing what to expect. It's fresh like that, I guess, haha. As others have mentioned, this is kind of vibing on Born In The Echoes, but I'm not decided yet if that's a positive or negative. Chems don't stagnate. I'm not sold on the vocal as to me they feel a tad bit flat and in such contrast to the textures in those bright bursts of quickly swirling siren-like sounds (my favorite parts of the tune, kind of reminds me of Flashback in a way.) But maybe that contrast is the balance this track is going for. Hmmm. Anyway. Again, first impressions of a rather intriguing track. Happy Friday!!

And for that I kinda wished I heard it now for the first time and my opinion would probably be less picky TBH I don't know. The swirling siren sounds and how they eventually 'sync' out of tune as Whitenoise said I've always liked too. I'm also glad they kept in the the intro build up that random tone that chimes in after the bass line. I liked that nice touch. The rhythm hasn't changed which is good cause that was down pat and gels the track together.

so I guess the Annie Mac/ Pete Tong tradition is out the window?

let me go uninstall my RealPlayer...

Dumb question but is FY considered their official first single from the album? Remember when the last album came out and SIFSD was the first track to come out the gate, but then Go was the official first single from the album!

If thats the case, then I'm sure either EOD or GKOMMH will be the single!

Now where was I...

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Sep 28, 2018, 00:39

It sounds a lot like Born in the Echoes tunes,

Quote from: neorev on Sep 28, 2018, 03:00

this sounds like another Born In The Echoes

As others have mentioned, this is kind of vibing on Born In The Echoes,

Ding ding ding! You guys (and girls) beat me to it!

I love the vocals, but i'm just gonna say it but those swirling siren noises just hampers the track alot. The ONLY thing that is saving this track from being less than average is the breakbeat ala Base 6 in the middle of song.

But I'm positive that there's alot left to love on the new album.
Last Edit: Sep 28, 2018, 06:26 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I guess I'll be the unabashed homer on the forum and say, I really like it! I can't argue with people saying it sounds familiar. Me personally, I get the 'Nude Night' vibe, but more blitz-y.

Did I miss the memo where majority of the forum didn't enjoy Born in the Echos?

Quote from: Explud on Sep 27, 2018, 19:08

2. I don't like the manner to release an album version of a track like single with crossfades from another tracks.

Could this be a mistake from Virgin/EMI, releasing the wrong track like they did with Escape Velocity with the end of Snow mixed in?

Nice! I like it! Especially the breakbeat part in the middle.

The released version mix sounds better than the leak. Must have been an audio rip.
Anyway, even though there are no surprises in the final track, I love it and it's nice to finally have the proper studio version of it, after two years of DJ Set rips and then Live rips.

Unless they don't release it on youtube too, I guess I'll have to wait a little longer since I'm not subscribed to any streaming service or amazon etc. nor do I intend to. I don't want to listen to leaks either, so I'm eagerly waiting for the album to hit the shelves soon.

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 28, 2018, 06:12

I guess I'll be the unabashed homer on the forum and say, I really like it! I can't argue with people saying it sounds familiar. Me personally, I get the 'Nude Night' vibe, but more blitz-y.

Did I miss the memo where majority of the forum didn't enjoy Born in the Echos?
Good question, wondered the same. I definately loved the album.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'm with Csar, I'll too wait for the album to drop, not gonna listen to leaks and I did my best to ignore most of the live new stuff you guys are posting. I'm not even sure I'll listen to it on YT if they publish it there. I am going for full Chemical experience when they publish the album.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

I'm not sold on the vocal as to me they feel a tad bit flat
I've felt like that since the start. I suspect the nature of this spoken vocal sample means the Chems didn't have to pay royalties to Diane Di Prima, so they used her voice. But I wonder if a warmer or more expressive voice might have made this a bit easier on the ears.

swirling siren-like sounds
Thanks Swirlygirl! I think you've coined the correct phrase for that noise: swirling sirens.
[This has now got me randomly thinking of
by Midfield General. The female vocal on that track is a bit more expressive.]

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 28, 2018, 05:36

Whoa, easy tiger. Who knows what the future holds?

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Sep 28, 2018, 06:08

Dumb question but is FY considered their official first single from the album? Remember when the last album came out and SIFSD was the first track to come out the gate, but then Go was the official first single from the album!
Well indeed. Perhaps the next track to be released will get the expensive Gondry video and a slew of remixes. And then six months from now we'll get a "proper" music video for Free Yourself a la SIFSD. And the next track may well get a big "Annie Mac" style preview/release.
They haven't released a proper video for this track (yet), just snippets of the live visuals.

Quote from: Joslyn on Sep 28, 2018, 07:59

Could this be a mistake from Virgin/EMI, releasing the wrong track like they did with Escape Velocity with the end of Snow mixed in?
I'm still confused by this discussion. Just me? Are we suggesting that the swooshy noises at the start are from another track on the album? I don't think they are.

Quote from: Csar on Sep 28, 2018, 10:43

Unless they don't release it on youtube too, I guess I'll have to wait a little longer since I'm not subscribed to any streaming service or amazon etc. nor do I intend to.
Spotify is totally free, as long as you don't mind a 30 second advert after every fourth song or something. Go onnn!
As I kinda hinted at in a previous post yesterday (on FB), things seem to be going more towards streaming than buying. The link that opens up in this tweet has three streaming links and just two download links. No sign of FY on Beatport or Juno yet. Is anyone selling it in WAV?

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1045592107707236353

(didn't embed because of an annoying "!" emoji)
Last Edit: Sep 28, 2018, 12:34 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 28, 2018, 05:36

:D :D :D

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 28, 2018, 11:36

Spotify is totally free, as long as you don't mind a 30 second advert after every fourth song or something. Go onnn!
Nah, I kind of don't feel like opening an account there, but thanks for the tip!

I just read on twitter, though, that it also aired on Lauren Laverne's morning show.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000hvz
Is there a way to re-listen to any of those tracks in full?
— Aurora (The Seed)