Back With Another One of Those Block Rockin' Beats

Glastonbury 1997 live broadcasts

Started by Ben_j, Jun 06, 2019, 15:06

Previous topic - Next topic
I just got what I thought was the recent re-broadcast of Glasto 1997 in the Essential Mix, but was actually a broadcast from BBC6 Music, I think it's this one :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06ss5gb

Although the description and announcer say it's a recording from Glasto 1997, the set is fairly different, and has a few cuts. For example, it starts with Dust Up Beats instead of Loops of Fury, the crazy part of Three Little Birdies Down Beats is much shorter, etc...
On the tracklist, it does list some tracks from Glasto 1996 AND 1997. Additionnaly I found this which says the recording is from Glastonbury 1996, which is plain impossible because there was no Glastonbury in 1996.

It is a 1997 recording for sure, since there are It doesn't matter, Elektrobank (named "Freestyle Funk" and sounding a bit different than other recordings), Setting Sun, etc... 
I'm very confused :|
Last Edit: Jun 06, 2019, 15:11 by Ben_j

BBC's got some wires crossed...

That is 100% a 1996 setlist for starters (despite there being no Glastonbury in 1996 so WTF?). They were playing Block Rockin Beats, It Doesn't Matter, Don't Stop The Rock, Elektrobank, and Setting Sun then. One way to tell is to listen to Setting Sun - if the percussion is the same as the studio version it's probably 1996, if it has the drum machine beats instead, it's 1997.

How does it compare to this?

PM me this!!
Last Edit: Jun 06, 2019, 15:40 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Another very weird thing is that they changed the order of the setlist. They put STTS and Don't Stop The Rock at the end after Chemical Beats, and you can clearly hear they were cut from earlier in the set.

I've listened to the preview clips and even those are messed up. for Best part of Breaking up is Prescription Beats, and "freestyle funk" is DYOH instead of Elektrobank.

the setlist doesn't add up considering I posted the full Glasto1997 on my archive:

did they play STTS with the voodoo people quote?

can you send me a PM of the recording?
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

it turns out what was broadcasted is not the glasto97 set but is actually a modified version of the brixton 96 set!
Several crowd noises (notably the whistlers during the transition from Dust Up Beats to loops) and the outro to elektrobank's stringer (or whatever synth it is) is identical to that of Brixton 96.
the only difference, besides the edits, is they included it doesn't matter (which is awesome), in replacement to several songs such as dig your own hole & prescription beats

tbh I'm not surprised considering they get song names wrong in Essential mixes
Last Edit: Jun 07, 2019, 05:55 by Conn6orsuper117
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

So, with both recordings we might be able to reconstruct the complete Brixton 96 show!
I never realised the one we had so far was not complete either. The cut from It Doesn't Matter's intro straight to Don't Stop The Rock doesn't sound out of place

Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 07, 2019, 14:44

So, with both recordings we might be able to reconstruct the complete Brixton 96 show!
I never realised the one we had so far was not complete either. The cut from It Doesn't Matter's intro straight to Don't Stop The Rock doesn't sound out of place
way ahead of you ;D there was no good transition between IDM and DSTR with the 2 recordings, so I improvised, but its done.

I'll be sure to post this on the archive this sunday
Last Edit: Jun 08, 2019, 09:06 by Conn6orsuper117

First thing I noticed was that Setting Sun had no house 4x4 beat under neath it so that was definitely the Brixton 96 version as the glastonbury version has that additional 4x4 house beat. I've never heard it played live without that til now.

both have the stuttering Noel Gallagher sounding like he has fallen down the K hole at rapid speed.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

its up ;D

I can only offer you this

https://www.discogs.com/Chemical-Brothers-Glastonbury-97/release/2723665

(Funny, I realize these are even my jpeg scans)
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'm open for receiving this. And that Underworld set please, as i don't think the new scheduled concert of them at the end of september is going to happen because large events are forbidden until end of october here in germany
no idea, no idea

Did anyone manage to get a rip of the BBC Radio 6 broadcast of the Brixton set?

Quote from: ChemicalBeats on Jun 27, 2021, 09:52

Did anyone manage to get a rip of the BBC Radio 6 broadcast of the Brixton set?
I used have the full set to on the archive (including It doesn't matter which was omitted in the original broadcast) though it got struck by UMG, though I have the mp3s, I'll PM you a link