For That Beautiful Feeling

Requests, Bug Reports, How-To's, etc.

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 03, 2015, 16:06

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi Everyone! Debated on which subforum to put this in, so I'm putting it here.

Please report bugs/glitches, questions about how to do this-and-that, and things related to forum functionality here. That way we can try to keep things like this contained so info on what needs a'fixin can be found easily (and other people can chime in if they are having the same issue). :)

Edit
How to:

...embed video/audio: Just paste the link into your post.
...embed Tweets: Just paste the link into your post.
Last Edit: Jul 26, 2015, 21:53 by Csar
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Krisper has successfully fixed the Soundcloud embedding issue. It's now possible to simply insert the soundcloud link into your posts to automatically embed them like other formats.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Nice! Thank you Krisper!!

Probably should dismiss the Blackface smiley...

Quote from: B on Jul 09, 2015, 22:18

Probably should dismiss the Blackface smiley...

Good call. The word is out to the admins. Not sure if we can disable the one smilie, or if we'd have to disable all and replace with a  different set of smilies - we shall see.

UPDATE: smilie disabled!
Last Edit: Jul 10, 2015, 14:48 by whirlygirl

Will we able to have our old usernames back with join date?
Thanks!! and great job on the site love it.

Quote from: Mob1 on Jul 16, 2015, 11:52

Will we able to have our old usernames back with join date?
Thanks!! and great job on the site love it.
Afraid not, Mob1. We have a carbon copy of the forum from about 2 weeks before it was closed. But importing information from the old system is nye on impossible. We're all starting fresh again :)
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Currently making some requested updates in response to the forum now being official, and while I have the hood up, could someone collect a list of requested bug fixes/changes? They are a bit scattered...
Never for money, always for love.

I know WN mentioned more work being needed on the site, but I want the whole team to know how smooth and awesome this transition has been. The new forum looks great, and it might just be in my head, but it seems like my mobile experience is better than it was on the original site.

So, thank you ChemBase Team! You really got it right and conversations about BITE have been fluid out of the gate.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Here's an idea, for join dates. We could have the name of the album released near the join date or a "badge" with album picture or something along those lines.
For example  for the veterans since 02 the can have the come with us name or badge, the ones who joined around the release of push the button, and the like..
Waddya all think?

Quick question, old forum can't be searched?
I can't seem to find search button
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on Jul 21, 2015, 17:47

Quick question, old forum can't be searched?
I can't seem to find search button

Unfortunately there's no search function with the old forum. It's basically a static copy of the forum, not really active data that's pulling from an active database.

If you want to search something you'll have to dig through all that info...

Thanks, Whirly  :)
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

^ We're going to do more with the static copy in the future, but for now it's just like Whirly said.

It's possible the archive could be indexible via Google.

Quote from: satur8 on Jul 17, 2015, 13:57

I know WN mentioned more work being needed on the site, but I want the whole team to know how smooth and awesome this transition has been. The new forum looks great, and it might just be in my head, but it seems like my mobile experience is better than it was on the original site.

So, thank you ChemBase Team! You really got it right and conversations about BITE have been fluid out of the gate.

Thanks much! It was at times pretty bumpy for us, but I know we (especially I) are really glad it went so smoothly for you! More work always needs to be done in my eyes... a small downside to having a constantly editable project. But it's generally minor, devil in the details work.

Mobile functionality was one of my biggest priorities for the design, hoped to outdo that drab grey version we had before, especially with mobile being far more prevalent than it was 5 years ago. Chuffed to hear you comment on how well it works!

Quote from: Mob1 on Jul 18, 2015, 19:32

Here's an idea, for join dates. We could have the name of the album released near the join date or a "badge" with album picture or something along those lines.
For example  for the veterans since 02 the can have the come with us name or badge, the ones who joined around the release of push the button, and the like..
Waddya all think?

I like this. Us forum regulars are strangely content with having our high scores erased, but I'd love to instate a system like this. The plus to running the forum ourselves is being able to update it continuously, so we'll discuss adding something like this to the mix. Perhaps not just forum join date, but the year/era you actually jumped on board the Chems train, we'd have some proper Dust heads being recognized in here.
Last Edit: Jul 21, 2015, 23:06 by WhiteNoise

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 21, 2015, 22:56
Mobile functionality was one of my biggest priorities for the design, hoped to outdo that drab grey version we had before, especially with mobile being far more prevalent than it was 5 years ago.

I've logged a lot more time on mobile since my original post, and yes, this absolutely is a great improvement. Again, great job to everyone involved (especially to you since this was your focus). Mobile IS a big deal for many of us, and  I know I am posting a lot more than I used to.

I've been 'satur8' for a long time now, and I was a lurker and occasional commenter all the way back when  the forum was this weird pop-up window looking thing that didn't load well. (Anyone remember what era that was: Surrender???) Anyway, I really feel this is the most fluid version yet, and you guys get the credit. The big jump worked out well.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I think the pop up window era was in the run up to CMU. I remember thinking I'd found the wrong website when I was trying to hunt down Star Guitar. The site then was just loads of beautiful textured backgrounds with essentially pop up windows with all the info in.

Quote from: satur8 on Jul 22, 2015, 14:43

I've logged a lot more time on mobile since my original post, and yes, this absolutely is a great improvement. Again, great job to everyone involved (especially to you since this was your focus). Mobile IS a big deal for many of us, and  I know I am posting a lot more than I used to.

I've been 'satur8' for a long time now, and I was a lurker and occasional commenter all the way back when  the forum was this weird pop-up window looking thing that didn't load well. (Anyone remember what era that was: Surrender???) Anyway, I really feel this is the most fluid version yet, and you guys get the credit. The big jump worked out well.

Thank you for the vote of confidence! :) WhiteNoise and Explud spent many hours taking care of so much of the technical aspects to building a forum from the ground up. I love how easy it is to use the forum on a mobile. I've been using mobile devices since We Are The Night and it was quite painful getting a page to load. And forget about deleting spam. It was near impossible. The last forum we had worked better on mobile but was not compatible on my tablet (my iPad). At least not using safari. I would have gone completely blind with the tiny font if I didn't have a browser emulation app that allowed me to view as if I were using Mozilla. Still a pain in the neck as far as getting all the functions to work. Mobile functionality is huge for me, between my phone and tablet I very rarely use a PC unless it's work related or I'm uploading photos from my camera to Dropbox or using Photoshop.
Quote from: Enjoyed on Jul 22, 2015, 16:54

I think the pop up window era was in the run up to CMU. I remember thinking I'd found the wrong website when I was trying to hunt down Star Guitar. The site then was just loads of beautiful textured backgrounds with essentially pop up windows with all the info in.

Yep! During Surrender it was still the good old mailing list :) The forum's first incarnation was just before Come With Us came out. All the people including myself that got their hands on a leaked copy came to the forum and let er rip, hahaha. I recall anyone could log in as a guest, and the site said if Tom and Ed logged in it would be posted in red ink. I don't think that ever happened! From what I remember the forum wasn't a traditional forum like this one,  but more like a tree (sort of like the reddit format)

Anyway I wish there were some screen shots of the very first forum. I did find this, though.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010801000000*/http://Thechemicalbrothers.com
Last Edit: Jul 22, 2015, 23:04 by whirlygirl

^ not working  :(

Quote from: Enjoyed on Jul 22, 2015, 23:21

^ not working  :(

Copy the whole link and paste. I've been lost in the historic chemical rabbit hole for like three hours now. Found a Q and A from June 1999 confirming Stefan is hardcore, ha!

Stefan Koopmanschap: Hi, I am one of the listees of the chemical brothers mailinglist. We are organising a party for the listees. Wanna come too? Maybe perform some tracks? Or DJ some?
Tom: What date is it? Sounds a good do. Where are you going to hold it - we're pretty busy over the next few months, but I hope it all goes well.

Ed: Nice one Stefan. You are one of the hardcore.