Come With Us

2022/09/25 - Live at Portola Festival San Francisco

Started by remyvice, May 16, 2022, 00:23

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jul 21, 2022, 06:27

So, has anyone got their hotel plans taken care of yet? Found one near Pier 80, which is about a 10 min drive to the show.

Planning to drive out there again and arrive Saturday. The last time was an awesome drive (scenic too)

I arranged a deal with Pooter already.

That was a great drive....even with the smell of cow dung for 5 miles.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

let's discuss the rest of the lineup! are there any of the lower tier acts people are looking forward to?

for me, I'm excited to see Gioli and Asia on Saturday (particularly after being rejected from a club they were playing at in Istanbul recently). and Sofia Kourtesis is one I look forward to on Sunday.

I'm not attending, but Kelly Lee Owens was recommended to me by a forum member.

Honestly, not entirely interested in the lineup beyond long established artists like Fatboy Slim, The Avalanches, Caribou, and DJ Shadow.
Last Edit: Jul 27, 2022, 06:16 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 26, 2022, 20:14

I'm not attending, but Kelly Lee Owens was recommended to me by a forum member.

Love this tune from Kelly Lee Owens. Takes a couple of minutes to take hold.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 26, 2022, 20:14

Honestly, not entirely interested in the lineup beyond long established artists like Fatboy Slim, The Avalanches, Caribou, and DJ Shadow.
Can't argue with the names you've picked out.
I caught Bicep live at an outdoor thing at the end of May. They hit harder live than I expected. And the crowd "hit" hard too. I was exhausted afterwards.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I'm looking forward to Bicep too, I hear good things.

the bigger names are less of a draw for me, funnily enough. there's some very good acts on there and I'll thoroughly enjoy them when the weekend comes, but I've been lucky enough to see a lot of them before and (aside from the Chems) I'm mostly looking forward to the acts I haven't seen yet.

If there are any Gorillaz fans heading to the festival, I highly recommend checking out Sad Night Dynamite:

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Bicep are 100% worth checking out if its Bicep Live (dj set probably good too though!). Saw them at Glastonbury a few weeks ago and it was set of the weekend potential (i had seen them recently though so didn't quite do it for me)
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: gfa2001 on Jul 29, 2022, 11:07

Bicep are 100% worth checking out if its Bicep Live (dj set probably good too though!). Saw them at Glastonbury a few weeks ago and it was set of the weekend potential (i had seen them recently though so didn't quite do it for me)

Yes! They came out to LA back in March, but not sure if I'll check them in SF. Besides there gonna be playing a week prior to that show at Primavera Sound festival with NIN and Khruangbin! Good bang for the buck.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 21, 2022, 14:44

I hope the place you found offers free parking!

Lol! Almost every hotel is asking 35 or 70 a night!

I've been listening to all the artists on a playlist I made. Trying to get a feel for the acts I don't know. One standout so far for me has been Prospa. It's like they jumped in my head and pulled out all the gems I've appreciated in music since the 90s. Gonna be a great weekend.

Quote from: mesamm99 on Aug 06, 2022, 20:50

One standout so far for me has been Prospa.

The Russian act?
(ok they're not really Russian, but this video tries to convince you otherwise)

For me they're sort of a guilty pleasure. They did an Essential Mix for the BBC last year. And as Pete Tong says in the intro, they're from Leeds.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Yep, that's them. Stand out tracks for me are The Thrill and Ecstasy (Over and Over). 

This festival has the lineup of the year for me. Set times are going to be a nightmare. Really excited to see to Caribou again. I saw them for the first time live this year and was completely blown away. Highly recommend catching them to those going!

This will be the first CA show I miss since 2004. 😢
Make sure to record the whole thing. JK, just enjoy the show without content farming.

Quote from: Biff on Aug 18, 2022, 20:17

Make sure to record the whole thing. JK, just enjoy the show without content farming.

:'(

Quote from: Biff on Aug 18, 2022, 20:17

It's a slippery slope letting go, be careful! Hope you're doing well, Biff!

Genuinely jealous for those going to Portola. Goldenvoice festivals can be held to to a high standard, this should be a great weekend and hope it's a great time for all.
Last Edit: Aug 21, 2022, 06:52 by Bosco

Any double dippers here, meaning coming from the Denver show to SF?

20 days away!

I'm gonna land near union square which is perfect because there's like a bunch of record stores nearby ( one of them specializes in electronic), so hopefully some rare Chemical bros records will be found.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Sep 05, 2022, 15:17

I'm gonna land near union square which is perfect because there's like a bunch of record stores nearby ( one of them specializes in electronic), so hopefully some rare Chemical bros records will be found.

Head north for Boudin's sourdough and Buena Vista's Irish coffee

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 06, 2022, 06:54

Head north for Boudin's sourdough and Buena Vista's Irish coffee

I got a Boudin's just 2 blocks from my hotel. Most likely to hit up that place after I check in.

And Buena Vista is just 8 min away!

Bosco's my new voice assistant! ;D

Chinatown fun to walk through too, though I don't have any reliable recommendations.

If you trek down to wharf for Buena Vista, you should opt for Boudin factory over the cafes they have around city. Lombard St (the crooked street), is in the area, although a bit of a steep climb out of Wharf.

Bunch of neat things for a tourist to experience in the area. Just has gotten too expensive.