No Geography

No Reason

Started by Joslyn, Feb 17, 2023, 07:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Stefan on Mar 24, 2023, 13:09
Oh, lawsuits are fought over this: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/13/from-ed-sheeran-to-katy-perry-plagiarism-claims-are-an-occupational-hazard-for-musicians.
I think if it were up to the Music Industry, they would would put a copyright on individual frequencies if they could.
Not that I want to take us off even further on this tangent, but the following video has a really informative breakdown of one of these cases.

Just to note doesn't that PiL tune sound more like Moloko's the Time is Now?

Music is familiar, so many of these "x stole y" thoughts are probably just people going "Oh that sounds nice" because doing things that feel familiar is nice. 

Interesting: No Reason was apparently mixed in Dolby Atmos
https://twitter.com/AbbeyRoad/status/1640648740183654401

Does anyone own Atmos equipment and can tell us if this is noticeable?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Mar 29, 2023, 21:02
Interesting: No Reason was apparently mixed in Dolby Atmos
https://twitter.com/AbbeyRoad/status/1640648740183654401

Does anyone own Atmos equipment and can tell us if this is noticeable?

The only noticeable difference I've heard between the stereo version and dolby atmos version of "No Reason", is the dolby atmos un-muddles certain elements that might get drowned out in stereo. Or in short, more clarity. However, dolby atmos lacks the punch that stereo can bring. Honestly feel, the Stereo version is plenty good, and I'll take power over clarity. 

Now, listen to Beck's new single "Thinking About You", that sounds quite amazing in Dolby Atmos. As other people have noted about Atmos, it feels like you're really physically in the studio session and hearing straight from the source. 

So, you do own Atmos gear?! I was surprised to read it was done that way because I wondered what it could make use of in such a mix. Atmos, the way I understand it, is supposed to distribute sound in various directions, like a 5.1+ or 7.1+ mix. But No Reason does not have that many effects and stuff going on, which I wouldn't assume would benefit from Atmos all that much.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Apr 02, 2023, 09:19
So, you do own Atmos gear?!
I kinda wanted to ask the same question. Is that nosey? I assumed Dolby Atmos was mostly for cinemas or top of the range home theatre systems.
I'm wondering if you can just stream No Reason from Spotify and it plays in Dolby Atmos on your system? Or does it need to be a download of the WAV/FLAC?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Csar on Apr 02, 2023, 09:19
So, you do own Atmos gear?! I was surprised to read it was done that way because I wondered what it could make use of in such a mix. Atmos, the way I understand it, is supposed to distribute sound in various directions, like a 5.1+ or 7.1+ mix. But No Reason does not have that many effects and stuff going on, which I wouldn't assume would benefit from Atmos all that much.

I have an Apple Music subscription which I can stream/download Dolby Atmos music. I also have Apple Airpod Pros (earbuds) that are compatible with Dolby Atmos while using the spatial audio feature. I can toggle between Stereo and Dolby Atmos by shutting off/on the Spatial Audio feature while in the middle of a song. So no earth-shattering equipment, and probably on the lower end of consumer grade compatibility list. 

I'm not even going to attempt to explain what I think it is or how it works, but I've heard others explain that Dolby Atmos creates a 3D sound atmosphere similar to surround sound but the source of audio doesn't have to be mixed specifically in 5.1, 7.1, etc., but also works in those formats(?). So I guess maybe a simulated surround sound  ??? ? But that isn't exactly a sexy way to market it.

OT: What's your favorite Neon Marching Band member dancing move? I don't know why but I really love that wiggly hands move at 2:53 mark

I felt in love with the one who plays the bass-drum to the intro kicks of HBHG
no idea, no idea

Quote from: nekoland on Apr 04, 2023, 19:13
OT: What's your favorite Neon Marching Band member dancing move? I don't know why but I really love that wiggly hands move at 2:53 mark
The more I watch this video, the more I love it. It's simple and yet so apt and funny and I get some social commentary vibes, too. Kudos to the Gecko ensemble!
https://twitter.com/GeckoTheatre/status/1638518534597648384

I really like the nonchalant, no-ducks-given moves at 3:12 and 3:18

By the way, somebody made a filtered version of NR which looks kinda neat

— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: ThePumisher on Apr 04, 2023, 22:23
I fell in love with the one who plays the bass-drum to the intro kicks of HBHG

Coming to an official Merch T-shirt soon.
He's one of the side-screen guys (when you see them at a Festival) as I found out last August when my position at Field Day meant I was mostly looking at a side screen.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: nekoland on Apr 04, 2023, 19:13
I like the flag waving guy! Also when the band crosses each other at the beginning!

I'm hoping there's more than one 'No Reason' shirt available, especially at the upcoming shows. 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

In this mix the transition into No Reason sounds very tasty. Sadly the host talks over it...

01. Avidus - Pan [Vivrant]
02. Rony Seikaly - Out Of Time [Radiant]
03. Gorje Hewek & Dulus - Earth [Watergate]
04. Hot Since 82 feat. Ed Graves - Sinnerman (Henrik Schwarz Dub) [Knee Deep In Sound]
05. Intercity 106 - Drifting
06. AFFKT - Huarache (The Policy Remix) [Sincopat]
07. Booka Shade - Sound Of The Dragonfly [Blaufield]
08. Vhyce - Unwritten Esoterics (Milio Remix) [Pets]
09. Joseph Ray - Cos Of You [Anjunadeep]
10. Budakid - Milestones [Exploited]
11. Joplyn - I Want To Believe (Florian Kruse Remix) [N.O.T.A.]
12. The Chemical Brothers - No Reason [EMI]
no idea, no idea

Full live version of 'No Reason' available in 4k via Coachella's YouTube.

Pre-orders incoming this week!! 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

New B-side excitement mounts!  ::Y

I think the longest clip currently available of "All Of A Sudden" is below from about 9:46 to 11:19.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Has anyone received a shipping notice from the official store yet? I'll can't remember the timeline for previous pre-orders, but if it hasn't shipped yet I don't expect to receive it in Canada by release day.

Quote from: actionjackson780 on Apr 24, 2023, 21:20
Has anyone received a shipping notice from the official store yet? I'll can't remember the timeline for previous pre-orders, but if it hasn't shipped yet I don't expect to receive it in Canada by release day.
I know US, UK and Europe distributors have received stock in their warehouses and shipped across the world on Saturday/Sunday just gone. 
With any luck, they might shipped early and the lucky ones will receive preorders on release day but more than likely see a lot arriving from next Monday onwards.

Oh the B-side is available digitally on Friday too?
There's a (studio quality) clip of it here:

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1651198740550565888
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: actionjackson780 on Apr 24, 2023, 21:20
No not yet. I'm in the Uk. My DYOH 25th Anniversary Vinyl arrived ahead or on release day though (can't remember which). I therefore have high hopes that us lot in Blighty get theres either tomorrow or Friday 
"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"