You Always Get Me Up When I'm Down

Now Playing

Started by ThePumisher, Jun 28, 2015, 07:58

Previous topic - Next topic
there's some decent holiday music out there and I'm enjoying it being this time of year again.

Podcasts that help me laugh while screaming into the abyss: Qanon Anonymous, Knowledge Fight, Last Podcast On The Left, and Fever Dreams.  Also, the Revolver, Wish, and Yoshimi boxsets. 

Quote from: shakermaker on Dec 11, 2022, 03:12

there's some decent holiday music out there and I'm enjoying it being this time of year again.

some more, for your drunkin pleasures (or mine)

RIP Primal Scream keyboardist Martin Duffy.

I saw him with the band back in May. I knew he had been absent from Primals gigs later on in the summer, he was replaced by someone else without explanation. Didn't realise he was going to die, aged 55. Terry Hall of The Specials has also died, aged 63.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

I was just about to post the same.
Sad, sad news. 
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Truly one of the best live electronic performance of all time

How do we know if it's really Daft Punk, could be anybody without their Robot helmets ???

Jokes aside, Daft Punk is a band where, exept for a few songs, I'm not super enthusiastic about their studio albums, but every video of a live performance really makes me wish I would've had the chance to see them at least one time.

wow that video is amazing. that is the coolest thing i've seen recently. what was their live setup in 1997? what are they sequencing thru?
Eight or over.

Quote from: Ben_j on Dec 21, 2022, 13:00

Truly one of the best live electronic performance of all time
Agreed.

I remember watching it for the first time in 2005 and thinking to myself... WHAT THE HELL HAVE I BEEN DOING WRONG? WHY HAVENT I SEEN OR HEARD THIS BEFORE?!

I remember I felt like I missed something critical.

My nostradomus crystal ball says they'll have one last death rattle before age saps away their energy for good. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if they simply let the past be the past.

Unfortunately, I still can't listen to Daft Punk without my heart breaking.

Like a jaded lover, I still pine for them.

Quote from: MadPooter on Dec 23, 2022, 19:20
My nostradomus crystal ball says they'll have one last death rattle before age saps away their energy for good
Alive 2027, I'd be in for it.

As a Primal Scream fan (seen em live more than any other artist) I'm still in mourning for Martin Duffy . I probably should have mentioned above that he played keys on Battle Scars and The Pills Won't Help You Now. He also played on The Charlatans Tellin Stories album after their own keyboard player tragically died. He's played on Beth Orton stuff, (the Beta Band's) Steve Mason, and of course the band he started in before the Primals, Felt.  Someone on the Primals Facebook fan page has stated that he actually died from an accident at home. So his death is perhaps not related to his live absences in 2022 after all.

Someone else on that page has put together a spotify playlist dedicated to Mr Duffy. Some lovely stuff on there.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

merry xmas to those who celebrate.

Merry Xmas mofos.
If I went clubbing on Xmas Day, this would be my jam.

Coco Bryce - Carol of the Drums
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: sandelic on Dec 24, 2022, 18:12
https://twitter.com/thesisterbliss/status/1606684888505016320

:(
sad to hear this. I'm not a huge fan of Faithless but back in 2007 I built some big hype for myself to catch them at my first Coachella. It was a fun set, but as a very inexperienced concert/festival goer at that time,  with no protection I aligned myself with a tower of speakers and got my ears obliterated during their set. My ears would ring throughout the weekend, including during Bjork which I caught shortly after Faithless.

Thanks for the Tunes Maxi. RIP

Quote from: shakermaker on Dec 24, 2022, 18:45
merry xmas to those who celebrate.

hey! I met Emmy the Great (post show!, I think I got her autograph somewhere too!) She opened for Beth Orton back when she released 'Kidsticks' a couple years back. Anyway, Emmy played a marvelous cantonese version of "Dreams" by the Cranberries. Mega Cutie

Anyone seen Moonage Daydream (2022), the recent "cinematic odyssey exploring David Bowie's creative and musical journey"?

Over two hours of Bowie talking about himself, time, aging, art and mortality. It's quite a singular experience, perhaps put together in order to present Bowie as an artist and a thinker, rather than a traditional documentary that would take a more complete look at the artist's life, relationships and back catalogue. The film seems to have really divided opinion on IMDB, but over on Rotten Tomatoes the critics really dig what director Brett Morgen has strived to achieve, giving it a 92% rating.

To be clear, Bowie's discussions about himself (taken from interviews) are interspersed with lots of great music clips and visuals - including old '70s live footage, remastered and looking great. I'm not sure I realised how much of a "pin up" he was for screaming teenage girls back in the 1970s. And some of the songs have even had (tasteful) remixes. Like the ones below.

Sound And Vision (Moonage Daydream Mix)

Space Oddity (Moonage Daydream Mix)

Ashes To Ashes (Moonage Daydream Mix)

Modern Love (Moonage Daydream Mix)

Full 45 track playlist here.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Everything But The Girl - Nothing Left To Lose

(yes, first single after 24 years)
Last Edit: Jan 13, 2023, 21:01 by Csar
no idea, no idea