Born In the Echoes

Your 6 track mixtape

Started by WhiteNoise, Sep 17, 2016, 04:36

Previous topic - Next topic
It's probably buried in Track Suggestions For Singles 93-03 Bonus Disc forever. But I half remember an old topic started by a long gone forum member asking... if you were to make a mixtape of 6 songs that best represented you, what would they be?

For some reason I've been thinking about this recently. My original post was just 6 songs I was "into", but they really didn't that much about me or to me. Here's my revision:

1. New Order - Temptation (original 12" version)
2. Geographer - The Myth of Youth
3. Underworld - Skym
4. David Crowder Band - Stars (From The Mount Wilson Observatory Mix)

6. The Chemical Brothers - Chico's Groove

What's yours?

Order doesn't matter except for "flow", and strictly 6 songs.

PS - I'd link the other 5 tracks but I haven't fixed the embedding-links "feature" yet. Just look them up!
Last Edit: Sep 17, 2016, 05:39 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

I'm not sure if they represent me the best or if they would make for a great "mix" tape but these are songs that have made a great impact on me:

Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles
I can still remember watching that clip on my dad's HELP! video tape when I was a teen!

For An Angel - Paul Van Dyk
The hymn of my high school internship at a furniture shop in the late 90s

The Nothing Song (live in Edinburgh 2000, Vanilla Sky score) - Sigur Rós
Discovered through a colleague during my alternative service at a school for disabled people who gave me Vanilla Sky and this came on at the end.

Wish You Were Here (The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) - Pink Floyd
This special versionof it as this was one of my first CDs ever that my parents gave me for my birthday. The trumpet gives me goose bumps every single time (the adudio quality isn't that great in the vid).

Release the Pressure - Leftfield
I heard this in the movie Rogue Trader with Ewan McGregor for the first time. After that, I desperately tried to find out what song that was. When I had finally found it I screamed at my pc screen in pure joy. What a sweet enchanting intro and that flute! The main reason I had to buy the record eventually.

Load Your Eyes (Room 205 version) - I Break Horses
Because it's fucking beautiful!!!

If there would be a #7 it would be I think I'm In Love by the Bros!
If there would be a #8 it would be Belfast Child by the Simple Minds (a live recording I have and of which I don't know where it was played. Can't find it anywhere on the net)
Last Edit: Sep 17, 2016, 08:11 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells
Beastie Boys - Sure Shot
Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar
Goldfrapp - Pilots
Type O Negative - Love You To Death
The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work
no idea, no idea

My tracklist would be:

1.) Aphex Twin - #17
2.) The Chemical Brothers - Lost in the K-Hole
3.) Animal Collective - Also Frightened
4.) Fatboy Slim - Gangsta Tripping
5.) Cornershop - Brimful of Asha (Norman Cook Remix)
6.) The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down
So let your body rock...

1. Amon Tobin - Sordid
Spoiler

2. Boards of Canada - Dawn Chorus
Spoiler

3. The Chemical Brothers - Escape Velocity
(well you all know what it sounds like)

4. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
(I hope you do know this one too, but just in case)
Spoiler

5. Tame Impala - Endors Toi
Spoiler

6. Simian Mobile Disco — Sleep Deprivation
Spoiler

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene 7
Richard Ashcroft - Brave New World
The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar
Ane Brun - Words
Therr Maitz - Stop. Quiet
Brazzaville – Girl From Vladivostok
Hi Kevin!

I could go so many ways with 6 tracks. I could make lists for days. But I'm going to theme my 6 tracks based on recommendations that people have posted on here. That's kinda like describing myself isn't it? I mean, you successfully struck my interest if you posted it, so that kinda describes me. Maybe I'm reaching... Anyway, I'm going to roll with it, if you see a track you posted or recommended, congratulations, you left an impression on me.

We Plants Are Happy Plants - Apollo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAE_sC7T3Vo&index=6&list=FLjONiHU24v7HtJ7oKHCzm-A

Timebox - Beggin' (cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54On0uLtdJc&list=FLjONiHU24v7HtJ7oKHCzm-A&index=77

Chase & Status - Count On Me ft. Moko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91V0Cqx9TzM&list=FLjONiHU24v7HtJ7oKHCzm-A&index=12

Quantic - Time Is The Enemy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUeo5sagkA&index=7&list=FLjONiHU24v7HtJ7oKHCzm-A

Para One - Piste Bleue

Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians

Last Edit: Sep 20, 2016, 04:59 by Bosco

WOW this is a very cool question which took a lot of thinking coming up with the selection of 6 tracks. But I think I got it. Let me start of with an introduction.

My dad is a music lover. Not my kind of music but he loves his music. I grew up with lovesongs from ABBA, the Beatles (I remember Yesterday which made me hate the Beatles, he never played Sergeant Pepper or Helter Skelter) Chris the Burgh, Roy Orbison. And he loves filmscores James Horner, Maurice Jarre, Vangelis. I can see his music preferences returning in my favorites from similar tastes or directly the opposite. So here goes.

1. Michael Jackson - Wanna be startin' something
Being a boy growing up in the 80s I was a Michael Jackson fan, girls in the 80s where Madonna fans. The opening track on the Thriller album is a great starter. It's funky, you can dance to it and you can sing a long. My love for Michael was going strong towards Dangerous. After that I was done with MJ. I later years I retuned to his music with Off the wall being my favorite album. Wanna be startin' is till now my favorite track which I have used in dj sets. And it's the track which got me into making my own taste choices in pop music.

2. Rage Against the Machine - Wake up
Getting into middle school an trying to be cool I could not only rely on Michael Jackson. Late 80s early 90s it was hardcorehouse for me. The "cool" kids where listening to Grunge. Although it was until much later that I got to apriciate Nirvana and Pearl Jam the hard hitting raps and crazy guitar sounds of Rage againt the machine got me hooked. I was partly cool. This track has everything in it, metal riffs, weird sounds hardcore raps and shouting. And till this day the best end credits track for a film (The Matrix)

3. The Prodigy - G-Force
This is the track what started it all. The first time I heard this was on a Turn up the Bass compilation and it was the first Prodigy track I ever heard. This is also the track which got me into collection music. Being a b-side on Everybody in the place it started my hunger for the b-sides. Next to every album I needed to have every single to have every track my favorite artist has made. It is still a cool track. It's has the melody like more Prodigy tracks but it also has the pounding bass and frantic percussion and acid sounds I love in dance music. Not my favorite Prodigy but the foundation of my record collection as it is today.

4. The Chemical Brothers - The Test
I was into the Chemical Brothers after hearing Exit Planet Dust at a party and buying Dig Your Own Hole not long after that. However it wasn't until the release of Come With Us which made my love for the Brothers outgrow the love I had for the Prodigy. This track has all the things about music I love and still love this day and why the Chemical Brothers are my favorite band. This track has melody, it got the beats, it's psychedelic, it's euforic, it's has killer Britpop vocals. This track for me is an evolution from Alive Alone, TPPR, Sunshine Underground and expanded into tracks I hold dear like Hold tight London, Surface, Saturate, Burst Generator, Reflexion, all tracks in my top favorite list.

5. Lamb - Gorecki
I have a soft spot for female vocals and in particular a bit strang ones. Beth Orton, Goldfrapp, Imani Coppola, Regina Spektor. But none is more beautifull as the angelic Lou Rhodes. Lamb and especially Gorecki runs through my adult love live. It gives me warm, coozy feelings in times of harmony and it gives me comfort in heartbreak. I've seen Lamb live a couple of times and it gives shivers down my spine.

6. Editors - Marching Orders
From my midlle school years until now there has been Britpop in my life. A was a Blur gut in the high times of Oasis, I loved the Verve, I jumped on the Coldplay train with Parachutes (and got off by Mylo Xyloto or whatever it's called), got really into Bloc Party with Silent Alarm and I became an Editors admirerer with The Back Room. For me all these bands have lost the spark or have stopped all together except for Editors. There latest album hasn't gotten much praise but I absolutely love. The closing track Marching orders is very un-Editors but than again it's their first completely self-produced album but this exceptional mantra as a closer of the album. The final 2 or 3 minutes mantra for me is a thing of beauty which I can put on repeat listen to hours at end.

This is the music which forms me into who I am today. You van hear it here:
<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Auser%3Ajoslyn78%3Aplaylist%3A6pFAKXFAtAC8TnjbSqlqKx" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>
Spotify link doesn't seem to work, youtube vids added
Last Edit: Sep 20, 2016, 22:55 by Joslyn

In no order, and very much subject to change:

Adult Jazz - Hum
For the still listening to and falling in love with new music part of me.

Underworld - Juanita / Kiteless (from Everything Everything)
For the inspiration to create part of me.

Animal Collective - Safer
For the college, getting ready to 'go out' and my Sing Along playlist part of me.

Battles - Tij
For the drumming part of me.

BT - Nocturnal Transmission
For the running, sunshine and the specific musical memories part of me.

The Chemical Brothers - Galaxy Bounce
For the chemical part of me.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning