Surrender

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bosco on Feb 16, 2019, 21:27

RIP Bruno Ganz

Hard not to be cliche at this moment, but you were really fucking great as Hitler and it will always be remembered, either through the lens of a monumental performance, or the dark-humor of an enraged hitler that has been meme'd to death.

Word

Him as Hitler was unbelievable.
no idea, no idea

Alita Battle Angel was ok! Better than average CGI action sequences that you could actually make out visually (unlike those other cgi movies where the fight scenes have clunky editing. cough 'transformers' cough). Never read the comic, so didnt expect anything to blow my mind. oh and I saw it in a dolby atmos venue, so the audio/video was good to go.

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Feb 18, 2019, 05:04

Alita Battle Angel was ok! Better than average CGI action sequences that you could actually make out visually (unlike those other cgi movies where the fight scenes have clunky editing. cough 'transformers' cough). Never read the comic, so didnt expect anything to blow my mind. oh and I saw it in a dolby atmos venue, so the audio/video was good to go.

I'm scared to watch it after the debauchery of Ghost in the Shell movie. Alita was another classic anime I liked in the late 90s.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Finished watching Disenchantment, it doesn't really deserve the flack its getting and I'm Really hyped for Season 2, too bad its most likely releasing in 2020.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Feb 22, 2019, 05:24

Finished watching Disenchantment, it doesn't really deserve the flack its getting and I'm Really hyped for Season 2, too bad its most likely releasing in 2020.

The flack for not being funny or entertaining? I have to say, I gave up after 3 episodes or something. And I wasn't working at the time, I had nothing else to do. I just didn't want to watch any more of it.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Yeah, was also a bit disappointed with Disenchantment and stopped watching after a few episodes. They better release new Futurama seasons.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 22, 2019, 22:13

Yeah, was also a bit disappointed with Disenchantment and stopped watching after a few episodes. They better release new Futurama seasons.
in my opinion, it gets better in the 2nd half.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: sandelic on Jan 25, 2019, 10:55

True Detective, anyone?
First 3 episodes are out.

Just got caught up and watched the finale...

I wish I could say better things, but I don't see this getting renewed for a fourth season...

Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff (that villain guy from 'Blade', lol ) had some good chemistry... but man, this was pretty disappointing season altogether...

Spoiler
First few episodes had me intrigued, but as things continued, the writing and forced character studies really dragged. I would have dropped out earlier in the season but Mahershala Ali (when not involved in his family/wife) and Stephen Dorff's characters were a good watch. Plus, it's hard to let go of a "whodunnit" once you get your feet wet.

The music was also a disappointment. As I previous mentioned, Season 2 wasn't as captivating, but the music and scoring was just as great as season 1. So for that fact season 2 still has replayability for me.

I can't wait to come home and watch last true detective episode.
I really liked this season so far and I have a pretty good idea whodunnit.
I liked slow story pacing and those long pauses in dialogues, something I imagine will not sit well with most people.
Acting is top notch and I would be happy if they signed another season.
I agree with music remark, it kinda suck this season. In fact, not one piece of music stands out in any way.
If they conclude this story in some sensible way, I would call this a job well done.
Can't wait to come home!
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

^For the record, I'm very big into slow placed films/television. Especially, ones that can convey a mysterious story without dialogue, and let your imagination race. The finale might make you walk back your initial feelings for Season 3 depending how you absorb the information.

Spoiler
This is a really a spoiler now, don't look if you want to watch the show
Spoiler

The case shouldn't have been conveniently packaged in 5 minute recap by the Cyclops man. Let the case go ICE FUCKING COLD, it would been more predictable outcome but at least it would have been indicative of the events that had followed. There was a lot of muddied people on both sides, this along with Hays' deteriorating memory, and overall brash actions would have been an appropriate ending. Sometimes the perceived "good guys" don't deserve closure either.

Instead, an accidental death, that leads to a "well-intentioned" child abduction case, unnecessary murders (which are a bigger deal and totally disregarded, in hindsight). And the key to it all, an un-aging black man with one eye, who has been Dying to tell authorities, but just can't muster the backbone to admit what had happened. Until detective "dementia" Hays forces his hand and tracks him down after taking notice of a suspicious car outside his house. And the cherry on top, ghost wife, spills the beans that Julie supposed AID ridden death is a cover up with the help of some Nuns and started a 2nd life in secrecy. Then, detective "dementia"  Hays. puts the pieces together and finds an address where he can find the women formerly known as Julie Purcell. He gets to the destination, only for him to get hit with that damn dementia again, and so conveniently forget where he is. So poetic... So shallow...

Great acting, disappointing story telling. In my opinion.

Noted, you must like David Lynch then  :)
Well, I've seen it and I fully agree, great acting, disappointing storytelling.
It started great, ended disappointing(to be polite), with typical Deus ex Machina ending.
To be frank, I was surprised when you said it was season finale, I expected at least a episode or two more, and it shows. Pacing has gone all to hell in this last episode and it just feels so rushed. 

btw, did you get your copy of Thimbleweed park?

I would still like them to try again. Preferably with better script.
Last Edit: Feb 26, 2019, 08:19 by sandelic

To be honest I've yet to really delve into the work of David Lynch! All I've seen was 'Mulholland Drive' and that was when I was younger and my brain was too tiny to wrap around it. But yeah, I've been recommend his work several times and never gotten around to it. I will though!

Regarding a fourth season... Nic Pizzolatto (writer/director) can't have full creative control. I'm not sure how you convince him of relinquishing such power, because despite my disappointment on Season 3, there is a lot of people extremely happy with the outcome of his latest installment.

Hey, if you got Netflix, go check out 'Mindhunter'. It's not a detective show per se, but a pretty interesting show about the early days of FBI starting to profile serial killers. It was produced and partially directed by David Fincher so it has a very 'Zodiac' feel about it. The music is killer, and the cast is not overbearing.

I did get Thimbleweed Park, thanks again for the tip! I have yet to play it though!

Thanks for the suggestion, will take a look at Mindhunter, did you watch Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes?
It's a interesting watch, to say the least.

Yup, I caught it. It was good information dump for me, especially since I never read into the whole  Ted Bundy story. I mean, I knew why he was notorious, but I wasn't aware of the detailing around his doings.

In the last episode of the Ted Bundy Tape documentary, there is an FBI agent which is mentioned in connection with the Behavioral Science Unit in interviewing Ted Bundy. This is exactly the same premise that occurs in 'Mindhunter'. It's based off of the memoirs of an early founder of the Behavioral Science Unit.

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 26, 2019, 21:47

To be honest I've yet to really delve into the work of David Lynch! All I've seen was 'Mulholland Drive' and that was when I was younger and my brain was too tiny to wrap around it. But yeah, I've been recommend his work several times and never gotten around to it. I will though!

Stop what you are doing and watch Blue Velvet.  NOW.  And may whatever deity you believe in help you if you drink a Heiniken while watching. 

Just saw the new Apollo 11 doc on IMAX.  Fucking Beautiful. 

Ah! I wanna see that too!!!  LOL

Now that makes me wanna recommend another film... Did you happen to see the recent movie about Neil Armstrong, 'First Man'?

Honestly felt that movie was horribly overlooked by the public and the academy. It was my favorite film of this past year and quite possibly be my favorite non-fiction space film, sorry Apollo 13. Hey True Detective, you want inside look at a how to nail a character study, then look no further. Ryan Gosling answers the bell again. Another great musical score. Dizzying and raw like visuals. Beautiful film making altogether. I highly recommend,

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 25, 2019, 23:10

^For the record, I'm very big into slow placed films/television. Especially, ones that can convey a mysterious story without dialogue, and let your imagination race.
Hey Bosco, me too! Have you ever watched the Man From Earth? It's a movie about a professor who's about to leave the place where he lives to the surprise of his friends and colleagues. While he's having them over to help him with his stuff, he, pressed by them why he's leaving, reveals an unbelievable story about himself that raises all sorts of philosophical questions and shakes the scientific and religious believes of his friends. It's also got a little twist at the end.
It might not sound that exciting at first glance, but I think you might appreciate it since it's got all the ingredients you mentioned above. It's almost like a chamber play.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Oh yeah, I've heard about that. But again, still haven't gotten around to it! :-[

I remember learning about it back when Iguanapunk posted a youtube clip long time ago of an electronic music track that quoted from the movie at the beginning of the song.

Again, thanks for the recommendation!

Captain Marvel.

Goose is the most relatable character in the history of the MCU.