Did I Pass the Acid Test?

Paused in Cosmic Reflection

Started by inchemwetrust, Jun 28, 2023, 08:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Stefan on Nov 30, 2023, 19:58
Oh, and there weren't any additional fees to pay.

Strange.. I've paid €25 (same as @Joslyn) for the extra fees. Ordered the other two versions of the book as well, and didn't need to pay any extra fees.

Quote from: gavin35 on Nov 30, 2023, 11:21
I received mine today but there was no vinyl with it ::hb

There's one for sale on discogs https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/item/2832328579
no idea, no idea

Thanks for the concern and tips guys and apologies for causing any anxiety for people yet to receive their order, Im sure it will be fine. Got on to WR customer service earlier, got an automated reply saying they'll be back to me in 24 hours. Fingers crossed. I dont want a refund, I want the record and artwork! Im sure the artwork is easy to reprint if they have to but the vinyl could be tricky if they only got a certain amount pressed
Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Quote from: toxic on Nov 30, 2023, 20:32
Strange.. I've paid €25 (same as @Joslyn) for the extra fees. Ordered the other two versions of the book as well, and didn't need to pay any extra fees.

Hm, it probably depends on the country it is shipped to?
But then, I had two orders from the UK this year where I had to pay a fee, from stores where this wasn't the case before Brexit. Maybe it's because the VAT for books is different from the VATs for most other items here in Austria?

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 30, 2023, 21:15
Hm, it probably depends on the country it is shipped to?
But then, I had two orders from the UK this year where I had to pay a fee, from stores where this wasn't the case before Brexit. Maybe it's because the VAT for books is different from the VATs for most other items here in Austria?

I went and checked and the Austrian postal authority's website which says all imported goods are taxed at 20% EU-VAT, plus custom fees for values starting at €150, plus postal fees. Maybe you were lucky?

Oh, and now that you've got your package, it would be so nice if you could perhaps check whether they've corrected the inconsistent text columns on pages 10 thru 14, please?
Last Edit: Nov 30, 2023, 23:05 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

equipment to digitize them, I might try this next week.
Yes pls!
I'm starving for audio rip of it
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: Csar on Nov 30, 2023, 21:26
I went and checked and the Austrian postal authority's website which says all imported goods are taxed at 20% EU-VAT, plus custom fees for values starting at €150, plus postal fees. Maybe you were lucky?

Oh, and now that you've got your package, it would be so nice if you could perhaps check whether they've corrected the inconsistent text columns on pages 10 thru 13, please?
Yes, 20% is the standard VAT, but books (and food, for instance) are taxed at 10% VAT.
I didn't receive the shipment directly but had it sent to my parents, since initially with the release date of Oct. 26th I wouldn't have been at home because of my Scotland vacation. So mayyyyyybeee they simply paid it without telling me, even though I specifically warned them beforehand and asked them today whether they had anything to pay.
Btw, my dad still has his record player and he said it should still work (it hasn't been used in years though), so there's a chance I get to listen to Superflash this weekend ;D

And I just read up to page 15 (the introduction) and didn't notice any inconsistencies or anything odd. Great read so far!

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 30, 2023, 22:32
Yes, 20% is the standard VAT, but books (and food, for instance) are taxed at 10% VAT.
Yeah, almost the same as in Germany (7% for books). But I'd assume, because this box not only contains a book but also art and a vinyl,  that customs would still want to get as much of their share as possible.
When I ordered my special color edt. vinyls from Amoeba a few years back I had to pick them up  at customs and pay a fee as far as I can remember.

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 30, 2023, 22:32
And I just read up to page 15 (the introduction) and didn't notice any inconsistencies or anything odd. Great read so far!
Well, Joslyn discovered that in the standard version, the second column of p.10 actually continues on p.13
"who would each take it in tuns to shin up the" [...] "speaker stacks before diving off"and p. 12 continues on p.14.
"His voice floats above synths that swell and burst" [...] "all around like solar flares."
Are these in correct order in your deluxe edition?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Yes, everything is in correct order.
Maybe Joslyns standard edition book has a binding error? Stuff like this happens, it doesn't mean that all printed/bound books contain the same error (I once bought a paperback where there were 20ish pages completely missing right at the beginning). The standard edtion has been out for more than a month and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, so probably it was just bad luck on this one book?
Last Edit: Nov 30, 2023, 23:28 by Stefan

Quote from: ThePumisher on Nov 30, 2023, 20:47
There's one for sale on discogs https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/item/2832328579
That's @gavin35 's copy!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Please log in to view this attachment.

I hope you haven't scratched the B-side with that pose. Is there anything on the B-side, or just a blank label and smooth shiny vinyl?
Any subtle message eteched into the run out groove on side A?

I haven't ordered this so I can't complain if I don't get to hear the track any time soon (and I could stick on my Don't Think CD - haven't done that in a looong time), but I've been looking forward to a review of StudioFlash from one of you. If nothing else, I'd like to enjoy this one vicariously through others' thoughts here on the forum. Fingers crossed that y'all receive it soon.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I'm starting to think there's something on the vinyl that silences you when you listen to it... been searching all over, haven't heard from a SINGLE person about it! Sneaker Beater showed up with it a few days ago, then hasn't been back. Someone posted their copy on the Reddit, and hasn't responded to any comments regarding the Flash. It's now December and there's no sign of it!   ::hb

I've been so excited, I can only hope it shows up soon and everyone gets to listen to it! But I must be patient...  >:(
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 30, 2023, 23:15
That's @gavin35 's copy!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you haven't scratched the B-side with that pose. Is there anything on the B-side, or just a blank label and smooth shiny vinyl?
Any subtle message eteched into the run out groove on side A?

The underside is completely smooth, no grooves. And I placed it there very gently :D

Spoiler
The etchings are:
Spoiler
Paused In Cosmic Reflection
Some numbers (maybe a catalogue number?)
And some letters I can't quite make out. Maybe "MIL3S PBBd RD. RM30"  But it's really hard to read, I gotta try again with a looking glass. It also looks like hand-written letters.
If there's a secret message, it's encoded.
Last Edit: Dec 01, 2023, 00:02 by Stefan

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 30, 2023, 23:10
Yes, everything is in correct order.
Maybe Joslyns standard edition book has a binding error? Stuff like this happens, it doesn't mean that all printed/bound books contain the same error (I once bought a paperback where there were 20ish pages completely missing right at the beginning). The standard edtion has been out for more than a month and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, so probably it was just bad luck on this one book?
Well, my two copies did have that error, too.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Oh, and there weren't any additional fees to pay.
Please log in to view this attachment.
Oo-ee, bit wobbly on the old feet!

Quote from: Csar on Dec 01, 2023, 00:19
Well, my two copies did have that error, too.
Oh, didn't know that. If it's in three books, then you're absolutely right to assume that it affects the whole print run, or at least a large batch.
Bummer. WR isn't really presenting themselves as a good publisher with this release.

Quote from: ; on Nov 30, 2023, 23:34
I'm starting to think there's something on the vinyl that silences you when you listen to it... been searching all over, haven't heard from a SINGLE person about it! Sneaker Beater showed up with it a few days ago, then hasn't been back. Someone posted their copy on the Reddit, and hasn't responded to any comments regarding the Flash. It's now December and there's no sign of it!  ::hb

I've been so excited, I can only hope it shows up soon and everyone gets to listen to it! But I must be patient...  >:(
looks like I'll have mine in hand tomorrow night according to the tracking number. I'll give you a proper review of the record. I plan to put it on ASAP. 

Quote from: mesamm99 on Dec 01, 2023, 02:16
looks like I'll have mine in hand tomorrow night according to the tracking number. I'll give you a proper review of the record. I plan to put it on ASAP.
Thank you! If you could either spoiler tag it or keep it spoiler free, that would be wonderful.
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Since most of you want to know what Superflash sounds like, I would like to give a short review. I received my copy yesterday.

(I made sure to spoiler tag this one!)

Short review
Spoiler
It is exactly the version they have been DJing with. It is the version you can hear them playing in 2012 (however, the DJ-version in this video as well as in the videos showing Erol Alkan playing it sounds slightly pitched down; the vinyl version has exactly the same pitch as the live version from Don't Think):

There are no specific surprises in terms of what we haven't heard before. It does not feature some of the sounds that you can hear on the live version from Don't Think such as the cowbell or the plucky synth. The long outro sequence that you can hear in the version from the Warehouse Project in 2012 is also included on the vinyl version; it is quite long actually, longer that the one from Don't Think. The vinyl version does NOT include the "you are all my children now" sample of course, as it was meant just as a segue.
There is NOTHING on the b-side, the vinyl itself is single-sided.

All in all, it sounds RAD on vinyl! The lower frequencies are also quite intense on this one. I am so glad to finally hear a studio version and I am sure you guys will enjoy it as well!

Last Edit: Dec 01, 2023, 07:08 by orangewedge99
So let your body rock...

Quote from: M_O_N_O on Nov 23, 2023, 08:02
Deluxe Edition back in stock again at White Rabbit:
https://store.whiterabbitbooks.co.uk/products/paused-in-cosmic-reflection?variant=44023221485812
Still easily available 1 week later. VERY strange given it sold out basically immediately, both at White Rabbit and the additional copies later available at the Chem Bros Store. Those cannot be only cancellations? Maybe they didn't put all 400 books (100 held back for the Chems store) on sale at the time the pre-oder started?

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 30, 2023, 23:15
That's @gavin35 's copy!

Or mine.

Received my editon just a couple of minutes ago, and because of @gavin35's experience i videotaped my unboxing. What should i say? No Vinyl, no Kate Gibb print.

Now to all asked questions:
  • + 10,51€ german customs
  • +6€ the famous DHL Auslagepauschale
  • my deluxe edition has the same issue like @Joslyn. Page 10 continues on Page 13, Page 12 on 14
  • Booknumber is either 231 or 237 (very hard to read if it's a one or a seven) / 500

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Nov 30, 2023, 18:45
As for White Rabbit...
'cues Pumishers catch phrase'
no idea, no idea