And the Darkness That You Fear Will Disappear

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 24, 2018, 18:56

three billboards outside ebbing, missouri
Question(s):

Spoiler
How come Sam Rockwell (Dixon) doesn't get arrested and charged for throwing a guy out a window and then going downstairs to kick/assault him? I know he lost his job but surely he had to be charged with a crime considering it was committed right across the street from the police station?

How come Frances McDormand (Mildred) doesn't get more thoroughly questioned and charged for firebombing the police station? Even Sam Rockwell's incompetent cop knew it was her.

Was it realistic for the new police chief to turn up within about a day of the previous one killing himself?

Abbie Cornish confirmed that she is meant to be Australian in this. I wonder what the likelihood is of a beautiful Australian woman ending up in a one-street Missouri town married to a local police chief 20 years her senior? I know, people can meet anywhere but it seemed like a stretch, and her character stuck out like a sore thumb for me.

When Abbie Cornish's character walks into the gift shop, Frances McDormand doesn't know who she is. Considering how small Ebbing is, surely the glamorous wife (and kids) of the police chief would at least have been recognisable to local people (and Mildred seemed to really know the chief), even if they weren't personally friends with her?   

Was I the only one who wanted some resolution about how the "bad guy" managed to (supposedly) be in Iraq at the time of the crime but nonetheless bragged about the crime and angrily threatened Mildred?

When Dixon goes to the (new) police chief with news (and DNA) relating to the overheard bar conversation, were they in the police station that had been firebombed not long before that?

If Mildred was such a tough woman, how come her negotiating skills are so rubbish? She walks into the advertising office and offers quite a bit of money to use three billboards that had been completely unused for years. Surely she could have offered a fraction of the amount and then bargained with the naive guy behind the desk (who didn't even know those billboards were on their books).

Was it realistic for Rockwell (Dixon) to read the note from Woody Harrelson in the police station (that was being firebombed) and immediately change his ways?

Well some of my questions may have legit answers, but I'll be surprised if they all do. Nonetheless I must admit that both McDormand and Rockwell deserved their Oscars. I also liked the overall premise and feel of the film.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 25, 2018, 00:03

Spoiler
How come Sam Rockwell (Dixon) doesn't get arrested and charged for throwing a guy out a window and then going downstairs to kick/assault him? I know he lost his job but surely he had to be charged with a crime considering it was committed right across the street from the police station?

This one also pops up to my head when seeing it - and as far as i remember, the new police chief was right in front of the police station seeing it all.

Was it realistic for the new police chief to turn up within about a day of the previous one killing himself?

Maybe there was like a week or two between it. It's not told that is was just one day ago

When Dixon goes to the (new) police chief with news (and DNA) relating to the overheard bar conversation, were they in the police station that had been firebombed not long before that?

Yes, you can see mostly everything in his office covered in soot

no idea, no idea

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 25, 2018, 00:03

Question(s):

Spoiler
maybe to others, it looked as if the guy jumped from the window to escape. but then it was less convincing when Dixon came back out & started beating him. plus, dixon was only fired for insulting the New chief.

How come Frances McDormand (Mildred) doesn't get more thoroughly questioned and charged for firebombing the police station? Even Sam Rockwell's incompetent cop knew it was her.
Interesting.

Usually yes. they have people on standby (so I've heard)

Abbie Cornish confirmed that she is meant to be Australian in this. I wonder what the likelihood is of a beautiful Australian woman ending up in a one-street Missouri town married to a local police chief 20 years her senior? I know, people can meet anywhere but it seemed like a stretch, and her character stuck out like a sore thumb for me.
maybe of australlian parents or heritage.

Was I the only one who wanted some resolution about how the "bad guy" managed to (supposedly) be in Iraq at the time of the crime but nonetheless bragged about the crime and angrily threatened Mildred?
no but after a 2nd viewing, I thought the ending was kinda genius, it leaves you with all these questions; did they do go to Idaho? did they turn around? did they kill him? did they arrest him?

yes, some places do proceed work while recovery or construction is going on. my middle school (for example) had windows busted out and we had classes going on while they were repairing the windows.

Was it realistic for Rockwell (Dixon) to read the note from Woody Harrelson in the police station (that was being firebombed) and immediately change his ways?
I think it was.

Well some of my questions may have legit answers, but I'll be surprised if they all do. Nonetheless I must admit that both McDormand and Rockwell deserved their Oscars. I also liked the overall premise and feel of the film.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Pacific Rim: Uprising was exactly what you'd expect. Giant robots, giant monsters, unnecessary dialogue and ultimately pointless character building. I was a little pleasantly surprised by the actual storyline though, the trailer did a good job of not giving too much away.

I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. And I have to say, I had more fun watching Game Night than I did watching CGI CGIs smash CGI CGIs in a CGI world of CGI.

This week it's Ready Player One...
My wife LOVES the book (or rather, the audio book) so we'll see how this one shapes up. I've specifically avoided trailers since the first teaser and I'm excited to see how it looks.

Side note. Was anyone else not able to see Isle of Dogs on opening weekend? As in, it wasn't actually being shown anywhere and isn't until tomorrow.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 26, 2018, 16:40

Side note. Was anyone else not able to see Isle of Dogs on opening weekend? As in, it wasn't actually being shown anywhere and isn't until tomorrow.
In germany it's not in cinemas until may. But i'm so gonna see this movie! I love every Wes Anderson movie.
no idea, no idea

Pacific Rim: Uprising ...I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as the first one.
Seems to have lower scores on IMDB and RT than the first one. The folks on last weeks' "Film 2018" on BBC1 suggested that it's actually better than the first one because del Toro isn't an out and out action dude, and John Boyega had lots of screen presence which made the new one good.  But I haven't seen it, so I dunno. But the first one was pretty forgettable for me.

This week it's Ready Player One...
My wife LOVES the book (or rather, the audio book) so we'll see how this one shapes up. I've specifically avoided trailers since the first teaser and I'm excited to see how it looks.
I've watched the trailer a couple of times. I get the feeling that it's aimed at teenagers or "young adults" like Maze Runner (yawn) or Hunger Games (the first one was enough for me). However on this weeks' "Film 2018" (last night) Al Murray and his two adult female critic guests all said Ready Player One was their film of the week. So have I misjudged it? Is it more than just a re-work of Tron?
It can't be entirely bad, as I hear there's a New Order Technique T-Shirt in there, an Unknown Pleasures T-shirt in there and a big chunk of Blue Monday. But enough of this new ordery-ness. The Chemical question relating to this is:  Was Hannah John-Kamen as lively in this as she was in the Sometimes I Feel So Deserted video? Hmm Deja Vu feelings... ???

Does Wes Anderson realise that the Isle of Dogs is the part of east London where Canary Wharf is situated? I've only just realised that the title is a pun, i.e. it sounds like "I Love Dogs". It gets released in the UK tomorrow I think.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I have watched 'I AM' by Tom Shadyac recently, a true story of awakening, realizing the world we are living in and it is not the only option as modernity tells us, no need to be pessimist.there is always a sollution for all problems and things we can do individually. We should be awake individually to wake the others. There are different styles and they are always welcomed.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Dec 22, 2017, 00:06

Hey everyone. I went to see the new Jumanji today so that you don't have to.
Too Many Cooks!

Quote from: Enjoyed on Jan 09, 2018, 23:44

Molly's Game.

Wonderfully classic Sorkin. Dialogue heavy of course
There was so much narration it felt like an audiobook with added images. Mind you, Chastain provided great images; I enjoyed her various evening wear looks.
I also think Idris Elba always feels like a B-Movie actor. Maybe that's why people have been tipping him as the next James Bond. You never get A-listers playing Bond.

The film did have humour but at times I thought: this is just a story about a woman who ran a card game. I could accept the self-importance of the West Wing because it was about the US President/White House. But the self-importance of a story about a card game? Hmm, it might have worked better for me if it had been played even lighter than it was.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Apr 04, 2018, 12:43

Too Many Cooks!

Ha!! I watched that yesterday as well. Totally didn't notice him in the movie.
Something something Karen Gillan was on screen something.

Quote from: Skyscraper on Apr 04, 2018, 12:43

There was so much narration it felt like an audiobook with added images. Mind you, Chastain provided great images; I enjoyed her various evening wear looks.
I also think Idris Elba always feels like a B-Movie actor. Maybe that's why people have been tipping him as the next James Bond. You never get A-listers playing Bond.

The film did have humour but at times I thought: this is just a story about a woman who ran a card game. I could accept the self-importance of the West Wing because it was about the US President/White House. But the self-importance of a story about a card game? Hmm, it might have worked better for me if it had been played even lighter than it was.

I can definitely understand that criticism. She wasn't exactly the classic underdog, fighting against all odds to prove everyone wrong. She ran an illegal card game with the wrong people - not much to sympathise with or relate to. But hot dang if all those characters don't do speak well!

Agree about Elba too. And I have thought he would make a fantastic bond ever since that rumour first started circulating. I honestly can't think of anyone better suited for the role at the moment.

I saw Isle of Dogs. I absolutely loved the look of it. It really is a gorgeous film. And I loved the dialogue. Something felt like it was missing though... And fuck. I'm beginning to find it very difficult to enjoy my time and the cinema when people start laughing at things that aren't funny. I'm not talking about jokes that are so-so or badly written, I'm talking about heart warming, sad, poignant, touching moments that have audience members laughing away like they're trying to compensate for not understanding the emotion of what's really going on.
It happened WAY too many times in Isle of Dogs and it unfortunately took me very much out of the movie.
I definitely intend to go see it again during the daytime when there are less people.

I ALSO saw Ready Player One. But I'll save my feelings about that movie for another post, maybe following someone else's thoughts on it if they've seen it?

This week it's Cock Blockers (as part of my ongoing 'Peter Goes to The Movies So You Don't Have To' series) and A Quiet Place, which I'm very, very excited about. Even my wife wants to see it (she hates the scaries). #MoviePass

I saw Isle of Dogs opening weekend. It was limited release and only playing in one small theater in Orange County (where I live) but thankfully it wasn't too far from home. It was a packed house and the audience were receptive - no awkward, out of place laughing and such. I enjoy Wes Anderson films and really liked this one, being a fan of animation. Plus I like dogs, so... yeah. The film was quirky and whimsical the way Wes Anderson does quirks and whimsy, and overall I found it delightful and touching. I'd like to see it again because it'll give me a chance to catch details I might've missed the first time around.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Thank you for some great films Milos Forman. RIP

Also, 'A Quiet Place' is worth it. Back in my day this would a perfect summer movie thriller to check out at a Drive-In, but nowadays the colossal summer block busters force their hands before cash-cow season.

I've learned to really listen to classical music thanks to his Amadeus. RIP. A sad day.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Ready Player One was AWESOME. today marks my 2nd time watching in theaters (and last as this was the last day they're screening in my town)
the first time I invited my best friend (tom himself) to see with me and tonight was with my parents.

sure it was pure fan service with all the pop culture references, It still was a well made movie, especially with Spielberg taking the chair once again.

Spoiler
my only complaint is that half of the movie doesn't take place in the book and vice versa.
example is that Wade was taken into captivity instead of sam, to rehash the damsel in distress cliche. or the fact that there were 3 other challenges to clear the gates instead of get the keys then the gate is right there next to you. but in my honest opinion it might encourage you to go read the book or see the movie to keep up a fresh experience. ;)

and upon 2nd viewing, some stuff that wasn't included in the movie such as Ultraman or Max was because they didn't/couldn't have the rights for.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Avengers Infinity War - Wow. Everything a Marvel fan could ask for...but better.

Ready Player One was also a lot of fun. I am reading the book now with my son.

Also enjoying Legion season 2 on the small screen. It would be impossible to replicate the originality of season 1, so they made it weirder albeit very interesting.

And Lost in Space was a pleasant surprise.

It's a good time to be a geek.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: satur8 on Apr 30, 2018, 15:25

Avengers Infinity War - Wow. Everything a Marvel fan could ask for...but better.

Boy howdy. You're not wrong. I successfully avoided seeing anything about the movie past the initial teaser trailer so I had tonnes to look forward to, with little expectations. It totally blew anything I was looking forward to out of the water though. Really an exceptional feat to have so many characters on screen for so long and to keep it fully entertaining throughout. Easily the best time I've had at the cinema, probably since the last Harry Potter movie.

Quote from: satur8 on Apr 30, 2018, 15:25

Ready Player One was also a lot of fun. I am reading the book now with my son.

Yay! I would LOVE to know what you guys think of the book after you've finished reading it. And also your thoughts on the movie and how it compares. Ready Player One was, unfortunately, the worst time I've had at the cinema - since The Desolation of Smaug.

I agree with you all on Infinity War. It's a real stunt putting such a big movie together, with so many different characters and still staying readable and undestandable. I liked Justice League but I have to admit it's horse shit compared to Avengers 3.

Quote from: Ben_j on Apr 30, 2018, 22:16

Justice League [...] it's horse shit.

Yup.

Watched Infinity War day before yesterday - very enjoyable and fun!
Don't miss it on big screen!
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on May 02, 2018, 11:50

Watched Infinity War day before yesterday - very enjoyable and fun!
Don't miss it on big screen!
I didn't  :'(

Finaly got a chance to see Isle Of Dogs. The look is fantastic and it's definitely one of the best movies of the year (actualy i would rank it number two after Three Billboards) - but on the other hand i have to say that it is not Andersons best work. Comparing it with his previous works it has to take one of the rear places.
no idea, no idea