Dig Your Own Hole

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
So Deutsche Bank seems to be in a spot of bother at the moment.
Anyone concerned?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Ben_j on Feb 10, 2016, 08:01

No, but I can understand how most of you won't like it :p

Quote from: sandelic on Feb 10, 2016, 11:10

Skrillex had some good stuff, mainly with The Doors and Marley... oh, yeah, and that Reptile Theme was nice!
But, similar to Eric Prydz case, people often can't look beyond songs that are most popular and often pure crap, to find more interesting ones
I wonder if people realize  that song with Skrillex is actually new song by The Doors (minus JM, ofc), 40 years after last one
I don't even know who that Jack U guy/band/girl/whatever is/was  ;D
Yeah, and it also feels weird that I feel so strongly about this type of music (certainly not all pieces in that genre) and it definately sounds a bit snobbish/arroganz when I express my feelings that way, I know. But it's an inherent aversion that gets triggered when I hear most of this stuff. The live performances and the way it's presented to their target audience doesn't really help either to take them seriously. I couldn't imagine myself saying sometime in the future: "oh, I'm in the mood for track xyz from Jack Ü/Diplo/Guetta etc., I need to listen to it again" like, e.g. TPPR or whatever, because most of this stuff is so interchangeable and similar in my ears - even though I do love weird sounds and structures.

Quote from: Skyscraper on Feb 10, 2016, 11:13

So Deutsche Bank seems to be in a spot of bother at the moment.
Anyone concerned?
Customer or investor? It doesn't look that good at the moment and looking back at 2007/08 anything can happen. The litigations against some former board members haven't been settled yet either. But at this point in time I'd say: DB is still to big too fail.
Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016, 17:57 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Feb 10, 2016, 17:51

Customer or investor? It doesn't look that good at the moment and looking back at 2007/08 anything can happen. The litigations against some former board members haven't been settled yet either. But at this point in time I'd say: DB is still to big too fail.
I happen to be neither (thankfully) so I'd just be worried about the knock-on effects for the European economy.  They seem ok at the moment but If there was a run on the bank by nervous customers, things could get weird...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Let's hope their economy doesn't "gose" down the toilet

Hopefully it doesn't go dortmunder.

If it does, hopefully it will come bock.

Beer jokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

come bock with us, and leave your hoppiness behind

The guy who has taken over from me at college looks JUST like Ed.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

NOT A COINCIDENCE
Never for money, always for love.

And in an interesting turn of events last week my law office got 5 new clients. There's an unlikely chance that I may actually turn a profit this month. In the least I may likely cover a good portion of my costs.

I'll explain a bit about the current way I'm running my law practice, if you're at all interested. I don't have a lot of hourly paying clients, unfortunately. I know a lot of you have heard of lawyers charging hundreds of dollars an hour for their services, and I'm not different, actually. But if you don't have any hourly paying clients, you aren't getting your hourly rate.

So, how am I actually making money? The other way to have clients pay is from contingency. I'm sure you're probably familiar with the idea of the lawyer getting paid from the amount of money they win for their clients. The going rate is 1/3, though that can vary a bit.

The thing is, I've only settled one big case so far. So I haven't yet made a shit ton of money from being a lawyer.

But the other thing is, I've got a case coming up soon that I'm filing that is going to involve 20 plaintiffs. I'm representing 20 different people in a case where the question is not going to be whether or not they'll win, but rather how much money they'll get.

Literally, what we will be arguing about, is how much money will be awarded to my clients. It's a fight worth having, for sure.

This is a fight that will take a year, at least. It could get appealed, and it could take up to three.

But when it's done, for that year that it is done, I will be part of the 1%. Literally.

Not bad for a guy that graduated from a fourth-tier law school. (Hint: 1st-tiers are the best, i.e., Harvard Law, Stanford Law, etc.)

This is all premature, and honestly, it could go south. But if I do this, I will have done it without going into "big law," i.e., the large law firms that grind away attorneys' souls, crush their spirits, and steal their life force, their essence. I have friends that I knew in law school, very good friends, that have gone into big law. I never see them any more.

So to have done this on my own terms, with my own clients, in my own way, by my own rules... It's fucking priceless. It's a nice big middle finger to this established set of exclusionary practices that the practice of law has rigidly constructed for itself over decades, fueled misplaced and unreasonable expectations.

There has to be some god damn middle ground between grinding your soul away and making a living that is well above average. There has to be.

And I think I might have found it.

Happy Valentine's Day everybody!

Better Call MadPooterSaul

The Slam Dunk Contest this year was out of this world

Pooter! That was great to read and I can wish you nothing but the best for that great endeavor! I do hope it will turn out the way it should! Show those elite bastards your 4-tier middle finger and how it's done!
But when you eventually make that big money you're after, watch out for the real friends you have around you and beware of the phony ones you might  have/ might be making! I guess the best thing to do is to not tell anyone how much you made.

Good luck, Sir!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I'm bummed about Jack U winning the Grammy... What bothers me the most is how Diplo went from producing an awesome album on Ninja Tune to producing cheap crap for the masses with Justin Bieber...
Just listen to this and tell me this guy isn't a great producer :

It's kinda the same with Calvin Harris. His first album was awesome and then he went full retard with EDM shit...

Quote from: Ben_j on Feb 15, 2016, 23:44

I'm bummed about Jack U winning the Grammy... What bothers me the most is how Diplo went from producing an awesome album on Ninja Tune to producing cheap crap for the masses with Justin Bieber...
Just listen to this and tell me this guy isn't a great producer :

It's kinda the same with Calvin Harris. His first album was awesome and then he went full retard with EDM shit...
This one has more sort of RJD2 traits which I'd never had expected from this stage jumping guy I watched on YT. Now that sounds interesting. But I guess this ain't what the EDM kiddies want and marketing sells on. Big Room, whoop whoop, Big Money!
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Feb 16, 2016, 11:25

This one has more sort of RJD2 traits which I'd never had expected from this stage jumping guy I watched on YT. Now that sounds interesting. But I guess this ain't what the EDM kiddies want and marketing sells on. Big Room, whoop whoop, Big Money!
This was more than 10 years ago. At that time he was also producing some of M.I.A.'s best track

That is what is so frustrating about Diplo
He has the talent, he just uses it to make shit music.
2005 Diplo is a different person

Last Edit: Feb 18, 2016, 05:14 by Enjoyed

At first I thought this was about the 1970 prank. This is actually a hell of a discussion... I would argue that if the case did not set precedent, putting a backdoor on the killer's phone would be somewhat justified. But of course it would set precedent, and that's a hell of a slippery slope. I like how Apple talks about the OS getting into the hands of hackers, but really, it would be abused by investigative agencies, in situations that do not justify that level of privacy invasion. And another question, is the data on the phone actually worth the trouble? I can't imagine it would really make or break the case...

The fact that the FBI cannot actually see into the phone already is a bit comforting, in a day and age where I assume pretty much anything I do and own is visible if someone's watching.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Feb 09, 2016, 17:15

Where's the eggs, toast, and milk?
Deep fried in everything!

"Merica!!"
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Feb 18, 2016, 05:39

The fact that the FBI cannot actually see into the phone already is a bit comforting, in a day and age where I assume pretty much anything I do and own is visible if someone's watching.