Superflash - Numéro Un, Number One

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Ben_j on Aug 08, 2018, 07:29

Yet the people interviewed are too high profile to be in on it.
Yes I was wondering how a fictitious character gets well known names to do these interviews. There's no way Moore would have agreed to the paedo stuff as a joke.

The stuff with Dick Cheney and Roy Moore was fantastic. It felt like proper satire. But the stuff like the quinceañera just felt like some dumb rednecks being made to look...dumb. And I'd like to know what they were told prior to filming.
The mosque meeting looked like it had genuine (non-actor) people to me. But I'm not sure that telling a group of Texans that you plan to build the biggest mosque outside the middle east in their home town is particulalry satirical (although it is ballsy). Their reactions were unsurprising.

So more interviews with Cheney, Moore etc, but less of the other stuff please.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 25, 2018, 05:42

Also, I want to tip my hat to the German Netflix series 'Dark'. English speakers set it for subtitles and save yourself from the English dub. Really enthralling sci-fi mystery thriller. 'Stranger Things' fans should enjoy this.
Spoiler
Not sure about the ending though.
Just finished watching the first episode. Really riveting, intense stuff there and the actors are sublime. And finally, a German themed show that doesn't revolve around nazis etc. Funny twist, though, the male lead-character played Hitler in the satire movie Look Who's Back which I loved.

I guess I've got to binge-watch that show. Thanks for the recommendation, Bosco!
Last Edit: Aug 08, 2018, 22:54 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Aug 08, 2018, 19:10

Funny twist, though, the male lead-character played Hitler in the satire movie Look Who's Back which I loved.
Seriously? The movie wasn't funny at all. "Er ist wieder da" as a book was one of the best and most funny books i've read in some years. The audiobook was also well entertaining - but the movie wasn't good in my opininion. But maybe i like the acting of Bruno Ganz as Hitler in "Der Untergang" (Downfall) so much, that i disrespect any other acting of anyone trying to be Hitler - except maybe Charlie Chaplin.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Aug 08, 2018, 23:24

Seriously? The movie wasn't funny at all. "Er ist wieder da" as a book was one of the best and most funny books i've read in some years. The audiobook was also well entertaining - but the movie wasn't good in my opininion. But maybe i like the acting of Bruno Ganz as Hitler in "Der Untergang" (Downfall) so much, that i disrespect any other acting of anyone trying to be Hitler - except maybe Charlie Chaplin.
I haven't read the book but the movie was pretty entertaining and at times thought provoking because it wasn't really meant to be just a mere "funny" movie. Many of the real people interviewed or involved in scenes showed that the spectre of facism and penchant for authoritarianism is still eerily alive in our society.
Masucci's portrayal was pretty decent. Bruno Ganz's version (or the director's version) of Hitler is imo a tad "overrated". It was good but they overacted a bit especially in terms of H's manner of speaking.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I would happily go and sit in the movie theatre and just listen to Annihilation again.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

BlacKkKlansman is probably something I urge to catch in theatre with a crowd.

Spoiler
Oh my. The finishing sequence hit me right in the feels. I've never experienced a movie where everyone in the theatre was collectively sobbing at the end.

Another great Spike Lee joint

Unfortunately with the current state of MoviePass, it's unlikely I'll be seeing any movies again for quite a while.

We did go and see Christopher Robin last night though (paid with real money, like an idiot) and it was bloody fantastic. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and we laughed and cried in equal measure. Lovely stuff.

I'm lucky to have a Cinemark theatre near me that offers a discount Tuesday. $4.25 per ticket and $7.25 for a 2D True IMAX theatre ticket. The everyday matinee price is about the same. They keep the place pretty clean, popcorn is tasty, and they have 17 screens, so just about everything comes through this theatre, if only on a limited basis.

I see 2001: A Space Odyssey is both making a return in IMAX to celebrate it's 50th, and then in Chicago they are celebrating next month with the actual 70mm as part of their 70mm film festival:

https://www.musicboxtheatre.com/events/the-music-box-70mm-film-festival-2018

so there!   ;D 8)

The Meg, Imma keep it short and sweet
Spoiler
Safety Tab
Spoiler

What I like: The Movie isnt a cliched shark attacks city beaches like previous shark movies
What I didnt like: it kinda exploited the washed up guy who lost his job because nobody believed him cliche

What I liked: The Movie has more than one shark. (This is the spoiler tab, you have been warned before clicking)
what I didn't like: The movie is advertised as a suspense but every 5 minutes its just jumpscare after jumpscare, it got so bad they weren't even scary anymore and were predictable.
IE: there was a person who kept spassing out every jumpscare, flailing his arms like he is some rag-doll in Garry's Mod, but after an hour, he stopped after the 100th jumpscare.

What I liked: everyone uses common sense, even if it costed lives, like one scientist knew they weren't gonna make it, so he stayed behind to save the rest. or when people knew someone had to tag the meg, but no one wanted to do it.
what I didn't like: I feel this movie (and this is my opinion) was racist, like a lot of non white people die a lot in this movie and only 2 white guys bit the dust. (no pun intended

What I liked: there's a lot of comedy, and it doesn't interrupt the flow of the movie which is really good storytelling
what I didn't like: I cannot say the same for the jumpscares as they just interrupt important scenes, or they always cut between important scenes to set up the scare.

What I liked: There are several nods to other water movies. like the main character, when swimming towards the meg, begins "singing just keep swimming." and there are several recreations from Jaws hidden here and there.
What I also Liked: There are a lot of scenes where the typical Hollywood character would freak out, but the movie kept it realistic and when a certain scenario happens, no body panics and knows what to do (they are scientists). even the little girl doesn't panic in various scenes.

Movie 8/10
the movie is fun and can get over the top but what anchors the movie down is the constant jumpscares, and again, they become so frequent that they're predictable and wont be scary anymore, especially when the music wont shut up or when it does.
Its still worth watching but by the 1 hour mark you'll be rolling your eyes every 5 minutes.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Aug 15, 2018, 19:08

Movie 8/10
the movie is fun and can get over the top but what anchors the movie down is the constant jumpscares, and again, they become so frequent that they're predictable and wont be scary anymore, especially when the music wont shut up or when it does.
Its still worth watching but by the 1 hour mark you'll be rolling your eyes every 5 minutes.

You seem to be very generous with your ratings! There's a lot of negativity to ultimately end up giving it 80%!
You don't happen to also write game reviews for IGN do you?

I remember seeing Meg 20 years ago, but it was called Anaconda.

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 15, 2018, 18:34

I see 2001: A Space Odyssey is both making a return in IMAX to celebrate it's 50th, and then in Chicago they are celebrating next month with the actual 70mm as part of their 70mm film festival:

https://www.musicboxtheatre.com/events/the-music-box-70mm-film-festival-2018

so there!   ;D 8)

Oh, you lucky bastard!  ;D
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Startet watching The making of the Mob and i somehow like it more than Boardwalk Empire, even though i know that Mob is a documentation abd Empire is a tv series.

Oh, and please no spoilers about Blackkklansman - trying to watch this at the cinemas.
no idea, no idea

I don't know why I waited so long to start with Brooklyn 99. Fantastic Series!

Quote from: Stefan on Aug 16, 2018, 19:45

I don't know why I waited so long

Name of Stefan's sex tape.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 15, 2018, 19:22

You seem to be very generous with your ratings! There's a lot of negativity to ultimately end up giving it 80%!
You don't happen to also write game reviews for IGN do you?
the a majority of the negatives are more like nitpicks than major negatives such as plot points.
10/10 Fish A.I.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I Love You Daddy. Unreleased, as Louis CK's "outing" happened just when the film was being sent to critics. But one of the screener DVD's leaked, and the film was easy to find on a website with an r in its name. Look at the cast: fantastic! Chloe Grace Moretz is great as the college-age daughter who has her dad (CK) wrapped around her finger. John Malkovich is perfect as the slightly creepy yet charming film genius who Louis CK's character (a TV writer) looks up to, just as long as he stays away from CK's daughter. Charlie Day is funny (as usual) as CK's friend who's hip to what "the kids" get up to on spring break, and enjoys going into the details with CK. At two hours it's overlong and at times boring. But when it isn't boring, it's funny. I've never seen a Louis CK film before. May have to track down his other stuff (what do you mean "bad timing"?).

Thoroughbreds 87% on Rotten Tomatoes or 6.8 on IMDB; take your pick. I'd probably give it about a 7.9. The comparisons to Heathers are understandable. Two late-teen girls try to figure out if they can kill someone because... he's a bit annoying. Darkly comic and nicely done. Also, yet another film with the late Anton Yelchin in it. That tragic accident really f*cked up an interesting film career. Who will replace him in the next Star Trek?

Upgrade Made in Australia but with American actors. Nice low budget Sci Fi thriller/horror. I didn't recognise Betty Gabriel, the smile-crying maid from Get Out until half way through the film. A good mix of story and action. Quite gruesome in places and with some dark laughs too.

Deadpool 2 Super Duper unrated directors cut. The only version of the film that I've seen, so I can't compare it to the theatrical cut. Has almost identical IMDB/RT scores as the first one. I guess it lacks the novelty of the first outing but nontheless will rank high in Films of 2018. So many references I missed loads of them. Loving the bits where Josh Brolin's character gets sarcastically called
Spoiler
"Thanos" and "One Eyed Willie"
. Zazie Beetz as Domino might just be the "breakout" star of this movie; I hadn't heard of her before. I would have liked more Rob Delaney though.
Oh, it has some nice 80's tunes too.

[For some reason all the uploads of this video are really quiet.]
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Catching up on Mr. Robot. binged hard. nearing the end of season 2 and will probably cont. on to season 3 straight after.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...