For That Beautiful Feeling

World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by Bosco, Nov 18, 2022, 20:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Welcome to the 2022 edition!

This year's installment includes a bold and unpopular tactic by restricting alcohol sales inside and around the perimeter of the stadiums. But back for another go is, exploitation of laborers and the continued negligence of human rights. Oh... and Team USA is back baby!!!

Anywho, I know this particular year is carrying some extra controversy so if we are collectively drowning this one out, I got no problem with that. But we've had some fun in the past with these (World Cup Threads), and figured I'd break the ice once again.
Last Edit: Nov 19, 2022, 08:39 by Bosco

I had to double take when someone was talking about the World Cup... IN NOVEMBER.

I mean. I get it. But... FeelsWeirdMan.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I was planning to boycot it from my living room. But then you hear that all the big name players are there: Ronaldo, Messi, Kane...
And then you hear that Saudi Arabia have taken the lead against Messi's Argentina!
Cracking goals from Saudi too! And some heroic defending.
Congrats to Saudi; an incredible result.
I might end up watching it after all. Let's see if I have any nagging dreams about the suffering of the workers who built the stadiums.

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/1595035618144243713

https://twitter.com/simplyaleeee/status/1595028124470845446

https://twitter.com/yousaf1788/status/1595030709588168704
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I actually canceled most of my sleep for this morning by staying up and catching the early part of the first half of Argentina VS. Saudi Arabia. I turned it off after what I thought was Argentina's second (Lautaro Martinez goal) but apparently that too got overturned via VAR. Messi's second should have never been overturned though, an offside because of shoulder-lean is bullshit. I don't watch enough of this sport to have a stern take on this, but IMO your entire body should be offside to reverse a goal, no?

But yeah this result is shocking to see after what I saw most of the first half. I will definitely  be watching the replay later today to see what the fuck happened.

For those boycotting, I salute you.

Mexico v Poland

Rooting for Mexico here. I'm 50% Polish, but I'm all about backing my American Hispanic countries.

ok, maybe I'll boycott too. No reason to watch, France has got this Cup in the bag.

Fun chemical fact:

The Arcadia Spider chems were meant to dj on at glastonbury is at the World Cup as part of the alcohol free rave area

Glastonbury festival are very annoyed about Arcadia taking the spider to Qatar.
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: gfa2001 on Nov 22, 2022, 21:39

Fun chemical fact:

The Arcadia Spider chems were meant to dj on at glastonbury is at the World Cup as part of the alcohol free rave area

Glastonbury festival are very annoyed about Arcadia taking the spider to Qatar.

Well if Arcadia was specifically commissioned by Glastonbury to make the spider set-up, I could understand. But if it was something that Arcadia did as part of their curation for Glastonbury, what's the problem?

This world cup is pretty interesting atm.
Germany loses to Japan, Argentina loses to SA and Croatia barely survived Marocco.
So far it's anything but boring, methinks.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Definitely some fun upsets. Wasn't a fan of the officiating for USA vs Wales, but overall for tournament it has been relatively quiet.

The Americas have struggled, though. Ecuador the only bright spot but that's taking down inexperienced host country. We'll see if Canada can hang...

We taking friendly wagers for Friday? (USA v England)

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 23, 2022, 17:50
We taking friendly wagers for Friday? (USA v England)

https://twitter.com/JMS78/status/1594958840994607104

How about this one?  ;D

Joking aside, I am all for underdog it that fight.
As we say here - ball is round.

Quote from: sandelic on Nov 23, 2022, 20:35

https://twitter.com/JMS78/status/1594958840994607104

How about this one?  ;D

Haha!!! That's brutal.

But maybe USA gets 2-1 odds and if we win, surrenders another annoying late night host in Jimmy Fallon, even though no English affiliation.

;D
🇧🇷🇧🇷
Just get yourself high.

Not bad, USA, not bad.

Now you have to decide who takes the custody of Corden with your ex UK  ;D

68 seconds in and Canada scores smh

Shit sandelic, Croatia v Japan is gonna be a great match! What an awesome 2nd half Japan had against Spain.

Good luck, I'm rooting for you guys!

moments before Japan's 2nd goal vs Spain

VAR confirmed ball in play
Last Edit: Dec 02, 2022, 09:19 by Bosco

Yeah, it's gonna be a good match, Japan is startlingly good this year.
I'm half rooting for them, tbh. I like their spirit!

England continues to be punished for New Order's sin of doing an awful song about the World Cup.

At least England found a great kicker for next year's Rugby World Cup

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Dec 10, 2022, 21:15

England continues to be punished for New Order's sin of doing an awful song about the World Cup.

bahahahah.

but really england is just living up to expectations.

I still can't believe Croatia knocked Brazil out.  I guess Brazil tend to win with flair, but their achilles heel is "grit". If another team can out-grit them, their samba spirit can be extinguished.
Let's see if Croatia can see off some more South Americans right now. Argentina tend to have more grit and "dark art" about them tham Brazil. So it could be a battle of wills (oh and Messi v Modric).

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Dec 10, 2022, 21:15

Oh you think that was awful? The previous two England World Cup songs sounded like this:

I would suggest that New Order moved the "genre" of world cup songs on by leaps and bounds. Italo piano house for Italia 90? Yes please! That hadn't been done before. They even threw in some credible remixes by Andrew Weatherall & Terry Farley (No alla violenza mix) and Hacienda regulars, Graeme Park & Mike Pickering (Subbuteo mix).

As an Ireland supporter, this was the one New Order record I could never force myself to walk into an Irish record shop and buy. But I was jealous of England; they got New Order to do their world cup song! The b@st@rds!
IT'S MORNING TIME!