Superstar DJs, Here We Go!

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Sorry to hear about your computer woes. I'll keep my fingers crossed you cross paths with a suitable replacement.

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on May 06, 2020, 00:19

Got back from the computer repair and Its official, my PC is no more.

It turns out there was more damage to both the power supply and the processor. Power supply could've been easily replaced, but the processor is outmoded (my computer was a refurbished 09 era computer)

I do own an external Hard drive and saved a backup from last monday. but damn its depressing. had it since freshman year.

Looking right now for a new one, something to at least run High end games like BO3 or GTA on high graphics. but with my budget right now (-600 USD) its gonna be a while.

thanks for the support guys.

reminder to self... bleach coupon good until this friday
Fortunately, these are "just" parts after all. Your HDD should still be working at least, right?

I am no gamer and don't know what kind of "high end" requirements there are for a gaming PC these days, but have you considered building your own machine? You can save considerable amounts of money that way.
I believe, if your graphics card in your old PC still cut the cake for these games, it should be fine in your new build too, no? So, perhaps you just get a new mainboard, an AMD Ryzen CPU and new RAM for the new mainboard. The new Ryzen CPUs are said to be really good in terms of price/performance ratio. For instance, the Ryzen 5 3600 is a 6 core/ 12 threads processeor and is sold just under $200 and also comes with an okay fan. You can get a good mainboard for that platform for just under $200 and some reasonable RAM for around $100.
Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:50 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 11, 2020, 03:52

I particularly hate the part where Moby is talking, and they cut from him on the word "provocation" and flash through the eclectic and polar opposites of talent that they've featured throughout the years. Suggesting they're always attempting to challenge your musical tastes. Only, to finally land on Beyonce.

Her booking and the general invasion of Pop artists isn't a test of provocation, it's the maturation of shifting to a less volatile demographic. And not only is it less volatile, it's infinitely more marketable.

I was pleased to see them acknowledge the chemical brothers in this in the early years just a shame they had a bad experience the last time they performed.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: MIKL on May 06, 2020, 09:40

I was pleased to see them acknowledge the chemical brothers in this in the early years just a shame they had a bad experience the last time they performed.

It's not fun to see them split on a (presumably) sour note like that, but it was a blessing for the Chemical Brothers fans. Logistically, the festival became too much of an investment and it drifted away from its original demographic.

That being said, I have such great memories from attending the festival, I would highly consider attending Coachella if they should ever play it again.

I know there was tech thread somewhere at one point but it seems too far buried now. But I did want to ask you tech heads who like to dabble or are serious and experienced in music production.

I've been tinkering away for quite a while on a synthesiser and drum machine (analog hardware from the 90s) that has midi and now up to the stage where I need to take the next step and work on it more and have a recording which I guess is ableton on a computer. (?)

My actual tech question is, how do I get all my loops/parts from each song to ableton on a computer from old analog hardware. So far I've researched and asked at a music store that I need a midi to usb cable but later also realised and asked again that I need an interface as well or instead of the the midi to usb cable?

Even looking at that theres so much gear out there wondering which one to get with decent sound conversion if I really need one.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Hi Mikl,

so nice that you got yourself a synth to experiment with. This has been a dream of mine that I haven't realized yet. What kind of synth do you have?

As for your question: MIDI is not a connection meant to record sounds, it is merely a communication protocol to just send (receive or transmit) triggering information coming from your keyboard/ synth/ DAW, i.e. notes, attack, decay, delay, release, knob values etc. It is like a template that tells your devices what you want them to do. MIDI is especially useful if you want your synth to reproduce its sounds in accordance to your beat so you wouldn't need to play as precise yourself. You can also create much more complex arrangements that way and listen how it then sounds.

As far as I know, if you want to record your actual sounds to your PC, you also need to connect both devices via audio line-out (your synth) and line-in (your PC) cables. On the back of your synth there should be one output connector. This output line would have to be connected to an input jack of your audio interface/ soundcard. Dependent on what your audio interface offers in terms of connection you would either need the same connector as your output or an adaptor/ adapted cable (if they're available).

Audio recording

MIDI

So, if you want to play/manipulate your synth from inside your DAW or get note values etc. into your DAW for arrangement purposes, you'd need the MIDI connection. And if you also want to (simultaneously) record actual sounds, you would addtionally need the line-out/ line-in audio connection.

Hope that helps.

Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:12 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

was gonna respond to Rynostar in Kraftwerk thread but felt maybe derailing the thread a bit too much...

Little Richard was all over my childhood programing, from Pee-Wee's Christmas special to Shelley Duvall's 'Mother Goose Rock 'n' Rhyme'.

Lit up the screen/stage wherever he went.

RIP, Legend.

What a difference a year makes.

I'm suffering from endless nostalgia of seeing the Chemical Brothers three times in three days.

I wish all of you nothing but the best, and hope everyone is hanging in there.

Birthday came early as I began work for the 1st time in 2 months, AND my Stimulus Check arrived in the mail! Y'all know what I'm buying! ;D
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Pizza with Pinneapple?
no idea, no idea

Pizza Hawaii for the win, you low-brows!
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: ThePumisher on May 21, 2020, 23:58

Pizza with Pinneapple?
no way, 🅱️ONELESS Ftw!
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: MadPooter on May 15, 2020, 20:41

What a difference a year makes.

I'm suffering from endless nostalgia of seeing the Chemical Brothers three times in three days.

I wish all of you nothing but the best, and hope everyone is hanging in there.

I think we're doing ok Poots, but still have good spirits up and running! Hope everyone else here had a great memorial weekend.

Btw,I've been going through my old phone right now, and I'm just barely transferring all my vids and pics from those shows to my new phone.

Funny how we went from the best of times to the 'what in gods name is happening these days?' times!

Sending magical wishes and enchanted thoughts to you Señor Pooter! oh and this too...

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Hey Everyone! I hope y'all got your computer tech issues sorted out. ;) Just wanted to pop in and say Hi and I love you and hope you all are doing all right during the last couple months or so of this overall global weirdness. I hope you're OK and hope your loved ones are OK.

Pooter a few posts back mentioned a year since the last time he saw the Chems. It kind of seems like a different era almost, doesn't it? Thinking about that whirlwind makes me pine for that not too distant nostalgia, but makes me feel somewhat melancholy for it as well. So many feels for many different reasons. Sigh. Fuck, the past year has been like, the longest decade ever!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

rip ennio morricone
no idea, no idea

Oh no, that's sad. What a loss. He was a genius.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Super sad day. He left an incredible legacy. If Sergio Leone was the architect of Spaghetti Western films, well, Ennio Moricone is responsible for giving the genre depth and soul. You did great Maestro, look at all this wonderful music we get to listen to:

The influence of For A Few Dollars More:
1) 187 Lockdown

2) Blue Monday (from 0.33)

I actually watched all three of the Dollars Trilogy films during lockdown recently. I concluded it must be a rare example of each film in a series being better than the previous one. The first one of course, didn't have Ennio's music...
IT'S MORNING TIME!