Do It Again

Does Otter Rock sample Bond?

Started by DaftChemicalPunk, Sep 20, 2016, 22:17

Previous topic - Next topic
First let me introduce myself. I am DaftChemicalPunk from Scotland, I am 21 years old and been a massive CB fan since I first heard The Big Jump on the Burnout Revenge OST.

Anyway just want to see if you think Otter Rock samples this specific James Bond theme from Die Another Day:

And here's Otter Rock:

Listen at 0:29 on both. it does sound extremely similar to the beat used in otter rock! Can't even find another version of this song aside from on this featurette and it may be a reach but definitely sound alike.  ;D

Hi there, and nice to see you've found your way onto the forum!

Well, as striking as the similiarity between the bond feauturettes' music cue and Otter Rock is, I sort of doubt it's the same sample (however, not 100% sure). The sample has a different structure at the end of the break loop and the drum sound itself appears to be a tad different too. That said, it's an interesting find though!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Welcome DaftChemicalPunk.

Discovering the Chemical Brothers from Burnout Revenge is a cool starting point. I literally remember playing the game and wondering if this very thing would happen.

Coincidentally, very early in their career the Brothers appeared in Wipeout 2097 / Wipeout XL, which was an entry point for some old school fans. It's cool that it happened again well after they became a successful act.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

It doesn't for sure. Otter Rock is a demo from the Dig Your Own Hole era. Die Another Day didn't come out until 2002.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: satur8 on Sep 21, 2016, 14:28

Coincidentally, very early in their career the Brothers appeared in Wipeout 2097 / Wipeout XL, which was an entry point for some old school fans. It's cool that it happened again well after they became a successful act.

That Wipeout 2097 soundtrack was the SHIT! It was my entry point too! That soundtrack and Dig your own hole. I had it on cassettes and played them to death. I had to buy second copy of DYOH because I played it so much it wore out.
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

They may use the same beat, but as Whitenoise pointed out, Otter Rock is older than Die Another Day.

Ahhh that's fair enough! Yeah more I listen to it the more I realise that they are slightly more dissimilar that I first thought. I wasn't aware that Otter Rock was from back in the Dig Your Own Hole era but makes since because of the more breakbeat elements.

Thanks for the answers and the warm welcome guys! Definitely going to stick around on here  :music ;D